Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 07:42:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help w instructions for tank removal of 2013 Monster 1100evo  (Read 9564 times)
togliat

« on: October 11, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »

Hi guys, I have searched and come across multiple threads involving gas tank removal for access to the battery. I am just going to replace the battery and cables for easier starting using the "motolectric" upgrade kit. I came across a few threads here and elsewhere. However, I could not find the detail I require and some of my posts went unanswered.

Can somebody point me to a thread with detailed instructions and pictures? I am not mechanically inclined, but I am determined to do this if I can. I have the tank covers off, and the tool tray removed, as well as the left and right tank bolts. But I am having trouble identifying some parts and next steps; lamda sensor 8mm bolt removal, fuel pump cover, electric connector for fuel pump, etc. The pictures I have found do not match my bike.

2013 Monster 1100evo

Thanks for any help, it would be much appreciated.
HotIce

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »

Same setup:

togliat

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »

Thanks I appreciate your reply. I did see this video as well as another video and they were helpful but not quite detailed enough for my tiny brain, LoL. I guess I'm all thumbs when it comes to doing this sort of stuff. His picture of the lambda sensor wires was very IZ_ and unclear, so it was difficult for me to understand exactly what he was planning on doing for that piece of the disassembly. Also the location of the fuel pump wires were in a different place on his bike than mine.   I have seen one or two threads on internet forums that were pretty good but for whatever reason the pictures were no longer embedded in the message.  It just seems like something this necessary would be documented a little more carefully both in the original bikes manual as well as a Decoty schematics or on the Internet. I was surprised how little I found that included step-by-step detailed instructions with pictures. I'm sure my expectations are a bit too high and my lack of mechanical skill is playing into my problem!
HotIce

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »

It really is simple, just work slowly.
Here is from my WSM:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3x6dnM1EXDTMmFKQ2NGWldzMlk/view?usp=sharing

Keep in mind that the WSM wants you to do things which are not required. Like popping the fuel lead to the evap cannister.
I did not even look at it, when I did mine.
If you are going to just pop the tank up, you do not need to remove the fuel lines, and you should be able to get along even w/out popping the fuel pump connector.
If you are in two doing it (one holding the tank), would be much safer.
In general I have found that trying to not remove stuff, ends up costing more time than actually doing it.
oldndumb

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »

I'm sure my expectations are a bit too high and my lack of mechanical skill is playing into my problem!

Well, there's yer problem.  Smiley

Surely by now you have gotten enough advice from this and the devil spawn other forum to see that the manual instructions should be sufficient. If they were not within your capabilities to understand, why pursue doing something to your bike that is possibly hazardous and definitely more technical than removing a tank?

I know this sounds harsh, but it is intended as concerned advice.
Radracer6

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »

If you are going to just pop the tank up, you do not need to remove the fuel lines, and you should be able to get along even w/out popping the fuel pump connector.
If you are in two doing it (one holding the tank), would be much safer.
In general I have found that trying to not remove stuff, ends up costing more time than actually doing it.

That's how i did my, take off the plastics, remove all the screws holding the tank in place. I popped off both hoses from the tank at the top by the gas cap. Pry the tank back and have someone hold it up or prop it up. This way like above poster mentioned no need to remove fuel lines or sensors etc.
emullick

M1100; ZX9R; C5 Corvette

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »

If none of the above helps, I'll go along with the advice to think about what you are getting into.  A Ducati is not a good choice to learn motorcycle mechanics on.  Try a 5+ year old Japanese basic on/off road bike.  Only trouble is, the damn thing will probably never break down or need work.  You'll just have to take things apart for the fun of it. 
StephenC

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 02:31:03 AM »

Here you go: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=69243.0

I can only firsthand vouch that this works on an 1100S, but can't see there being any major differences with the other bikes of this generation.  I have not to gone the whole way to remove the tank, just enough to lift it and get to the ECU, battery etc.

1 )
Remove the seat.  Optionally, you may wish to take out the tool tray.
2 )
Remove the 11 screws, holding the central plastic on.  Be careful as there are washers or spacers under most of them.

3 )
Remove the two side panels by undoing the screws indicated below.  Again, there are washers to catch.

4 )
OPTIONAL. Remove the middle strip, it is held on by three screws.  You probably don't need to do this but my carbon version was brittle and I didn't want to risk it breaking.

5 )
Losen the breather hose.  It is the one which you can see sticking out and not attached to anything at the bottom end.  First loosen the black plastic cover.  If you undo the top and bottom bolts (the bottom one is shown in the photo below) it will just rotate away from the engine.  You can now release the breather hose from its little metal clip and push it up through the hole in the bottom of the plastic.  All you need to do is create some slack, not completely detach it from the bike.

6 )
Free the cable, attached to the Lambda sensor, from the bottom of the tank (shown with the arrow).

There are also a couple of cables/tubes that run under the right side of the tank, above the vertical timing belt cover.  They tend to pull out of their little clips naturally so I don't worry about them.  The rearmost end of these attach to the fuel pump so would have to be disconnected, if you wanted to remove (rather than lift) the tank.
7 )
Undo the two bolts, either side of the tank, where it attaches to the frame.  They come off easily with a small spanner and have a large washer attached.

8 )
Undo the single bolt under the rear of the tank (green arrow).  Mine came loose easily, but you may have to stabilise the corresponding bolt above the tank (just in front of the tool tray).

9 )
The tank should now lift, from the rear (and easiest if you removed the tool tray).  Once the two side bolts you undid earlier are free, I then pivot it from the rear and suspend the front as shown.  You could likely prop it up with something just as well.  I have done this with a nearly full tank - no issues.

Putting it back on is the reverse of above.  I don't think there were any hurdles to trip you up, though some of the bolts for the tank panels are pretty shonky so be gentle.

Ducati Monster 1100S (2009)
Greg

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »

I love my M1100Evo, but I just cringe when I see the amount of work now involved in removing something as simple as a fuel tank. Whoever designed this setup should be flogged.... and the flogged again for good measure

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
oldndumb

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »

Yes, a few more steps than some others, but they are indeed simple steps. So simple even a golfer ought to be able to do them.  Wink
HotIce

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 07:57:45 AM »

You actually do not need to under the breather hose at the bottom, by removing the cover.
I undo mine at the top of the tank.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:25:40 AM »

I unhooked the breather hose at the filler, then swung the tank around from the rear and rested it in a stool. Super simple, gave complete access to under tank, and no other disconnecting needed.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
racingj

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 03:17:57 PM »

Greg's reply states it best, the engineer who developed the fuel tank delivery system on the EVO1100 should be flogged. It's not so difficult, just way more time consuming than should be.
oldndumb

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 04:59:04 PM »

popcorn
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 05:22:37 AM »

FMD  Roll Eyes

It's not that hard.  Remove some bolts as previously described and... viola!!

Is it more bother than it ought be?  Probably.

But really, is it THAT hard to do?

Really?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:24:09 AM by ungeheuer » Logged

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: