Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 05:04:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO: Monster 1100/796/696 Tank removal  (Read 11768 times)
StephenC

« on: October 16, 2014, 02:28:46 AM »

I can only firsthand vouch that this works on an 1100S, but can't see there being any major differences with the other bikes of this generation.  I have not to gone the whole way to remove the tank, just enough to lift it and get to the ECU, battery etc.

1 )
Remove the seat.  Optionally, you may wish to take out the tool tray.
2 )
Remove the 11 screws, holding the central plastic on.  Be careful as there are washers or spacers under most of them.

3 )
Remove the two side panels by undoing the screws indicated below.  Again, there are washers to catch.

4 )
OPTIONAL. Remove the middle strip, it is held on by three screws.  You probably don't need to do this but my carbon version was brittle and I didn't want to risk it breaking.

5 )
Losen the breather hose.  It is the one which you can see sticking out and not attached to anything at the bottom end.  First loosen the black plastic cover.  If you undo the top and bottom bolts (the bottom one is shown in the photo below) it will just rotate away from the engine.  You can now release the breather hose from its little metal clip and push it up through the hole in the bottom of the plastic.  All you need to do is create some slack, not completely detach it from the bike.

6 )
Free the cable, attached to the Lambda sensor, from the bottom of the tank (shown with the arrow).

There are also a couple of cables/tubes that run under the right side of the tank, above the vertical timing belt cover.  They tend to pull out of their little clips naturally so I don't worry about them.  The rearmost end of these attach to the fuel pump so would have to be disconnected, if you wanted to remove (rather than lift) the tank.
7 )
Undo the two bolts, either side of the tank, where it attaches to the frame.  They come off easily with a small spanner and have a large washer attached.

8 )
Undo the single bolt under the rear of the tank (green arrow).  Mine came loose easily, but you may have to stabilise the corresponding bolt above the tank (just in front of the tool tray).

9 )
The tank should now lift, from the rear (and easiest if you removed the tool tray).  Once the two side bolts you undid earlier are free, I then pivot it from the rear and suspend the front as shown.  You could likely prop it up with something just as well.  I have done this with a nearly full tank - no issues.

Putting it back on is the reverse of above.  I don't think there were any hurdles to trip you up, though some of the bolts for the tank panels are pretty shonky so be gentle.

Ducati Monster 1100S (2009)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: