Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 05:29:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M944SS build  (Read 103311 times)
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« on: May 15, 2014, 06:15:25 AM »

It's been drivin' me nuts waiting on my engine and front end to be completed...the hangups have been with the powder coater and Matris sending the wrong parts from Italy. So I figured I'd haul my old bike to the remote garage. The plan was to have it mostly intact and use it as a model of sorts to put my "M944(NOS)SS.

I really just wanted to remove the stuff I still prized like the Rizoma rearsets, but once the wrench started turning it got addictive...

Ooops...at least I technically started my build by putting SOMETHING on... Grin

I actually feel extremely confident now about putting her together. Our bikes are pretty damn simple actually!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:47:47 AM by Buck Naked » Logged

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
thorn14

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:19:50 AM »

YES! Finally!

Hopefully the "What Did Buck Naked Just Buy?" thread will now calm down as it has been replaced by this one... "What Did Buck Naked Just Build?"

M620 turned M800 but then back to M620 after the M800 died at 110k, and now to Multi 1000.
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »

I haven't built anything yet...lol.

Spent all day wire brushing some misc hardware I don't wanna re buy such as the oil cooler fittings. ALL the nasty gold zinc plated crap Ducati had the nerve to put on our machines has been tossed or binned cuz I now have a huge assortment of stainless hardware I've been accumulating over the months.

As I was scrubbing the oil cooler fittings, seat lock plate,  kickstand mount and various spacers and odd bits that weren't replaced with new versions  it dawned on me that nobody you could ever hire, no matter how conscientious, could possibly put the kind of love into a motorcycle that you can. There's going to be love in every single nut and bolt of this bike.  Cry Tongue Grin

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
oldndumb

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »

As I was scrubbing the oil cooler fittings, seat lock plate,  kickstand mount and various spacers and odd bits that weren't replaced with new versions  it dawned on me that nobody you could ever hire, no matter how conscientious, could possibly put the kind of love into a motorcycle that you can. There's going to be love in every single nut and bolt of this bike.  Cry Tongue Grin

Ha! Someone else as anal as me. I can't ever bring myself to reassemble a bike without cleaning every last nut, bolt, and screw. That is, the ones which were not replaced with SS/Ti.  Smiley   waytogo
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »

Pretty sure I can name all the hardware that's not new...AN fittings (although I suspect the Fren Tubo Hypermotard lines I'm ordering come with new ones...so scratch that) kickstand pivot, swingarm pivot, shock pivot...and axles. The only Ti I splurged on was for the front and rear axle bolts. I may use Ti for the chain adjusters as well. If it's an M6, M8, or M10 cap screw it's stainless. I had to buy a 15 bin organizer for my SS collection I'm pretty stoked 'bout that. Cheesy

thorn14

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »

Did you piece it all together or buy the SS screw/bolt kit? (Still time for the Ti bolt kit  Wink)

M620 turned M800 but then back to M620 after the M800 died at 110k, and now to Multi 1000.
brad black

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »

i'm happy to be as anal at $1.75 per minute as your wallet allows. laughingdp

hence i tend to not be so anal, lest customers feel like they're been stuck in a similar way.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »

i'm happy to be as anal at $1.75 per minute as your wallet allows. laughingdp

hence i tend to not be so anal, lest customers feel like they're been stuck in a similar way.

You might polish everything for $1.75 a minute, but you still wouldn't do it with LOVE. Tongue

Did you piece it all together or buy the SS screw/bolt kit? (Still time for the Ti bolt kit  Wink)

Hell no dawg, for the price of those kits you can fill several tackle boxes with enough to do 3-4 bikes and still have bins full to fondle. I like scooping it up and letting it run through my fingers like Scrooge McDuck. Sweatshop stainless from eBay seller "Cool_Cheap_World". And anyone that wants to scoff at that is welcome to pay a middle man 10-20X more for the exact same thing from the exact same place. Wink

I'm trying to avoid the titanium addiction...I think I'll be able to put the pipe down after the axle bolts...pretty sure.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:05:28 PM by Buck Naked » Logged

dark_duc

2008 S4RS Tricolore

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 08:04:21 AM »

Looks like a blast!  Can't wait to see updates of the progress   waytogo

popcorn
Staggerlee

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »

(although I suspect the Fren Tubo Hypermotard lines I'm ordering come with new ones...so scratch that)

Mine did, but they are of the plated-crap variety; if you were hoping for stainless or aluminum, guess again.
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »

Mine did, but they are of the plated-crap variety; if you were hoping for stainless or aluminum, guess again.

Zinc plated? That's poop. After all the time I've spent removing that rubbish that came from the factory I sure as F don't need to put more on. I'll make my own.

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 08:57:20 AM »

MMMMMmmmmmmm  Ti axle nuts drool

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »

drool
Light is right.
It's a joy watching you get carried away. laughingdp

2015 Scrambler 800
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 07:36:41 AM »

Thanks for the support T. Smiley

My lowly mechanical skills and experience have struck again...the underslung rear caliper is a mod I wanted on this bike but the eBay bracket needed work. Hard to believe but the second pic is the result of over 2 hours of labor. Sad

I thought Mothers would be enough since it's worked magic on other alloy parts, but this bracket laughed at it. So I hit it with a sanding disc on a Dremel which made it look awful, so I've been alternating between wet sanding with a sanding sponge, dry, polish with Mothers, buff, repeat. At this pace it'll look awesome in about 20 hours Tongue

I believe there's a hard coat clear anodize on it, I may try an oven cleaner bath then continue with the sanding and buffing. Afraid I'll just make a bigger mess tho.  Undecided

thorn14

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »

Before powdercoating some parts recently I would bead blast the part to get rid of the coating, then spend an hour or two per part cleaning up casting marks and smoothing the part out. Unlike you however, I get impatient after hour two.  laughingdp

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: