Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 08:58:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blinkers Always Blinking  (Read 6957 times)
thorn14

« on: April 30, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »

I've got a 2002 Monster 620 Dark which has an annoying blinker issue. The right side is always on and cannot be turned off when the bike is running. I've taken the switch apparent and checked the relay, and grounds, the wiring as it connects to the lamps in front and back and all the connections seem fine. The indicator light on the dash is constantly blinking even with the bulbs removed. I've also taken the instrument cluster apart just short of actually removing the chip board (to fix a speedometer issue.)

What could be causing this issue? Could it indeed be the switch which might just need to be replaced? Is there any specific test I could do?

Thanks.

M620 turned M800 but then back to M620 after the M800 died at 110k, and now to Multi 1000.
MotoPsycho
General Nuisance and a

My Dream, my rules !

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:07:20 AM »

On mine it's the same wires for the indicator on the dash that comes from the main bundle going to the signals. If the switch is stuck like mine was, since it's the same wiring it'll always blink. Try unhooking the switch and see if it stops. I bet a dollar it's the switch. Ca-cycle works is where I got mine at. I got the euro one where the headlight can be turned off for easier starting.

Edgar: '99 M750 - 2009 Indy Ducati Rat Bike Award Winner
thorn14

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:24:23 AM »

I unplugged the switch and it still was blinking. I took the switch apart and looked at the contacts and moved it back and forth manually and it seemed to be working. I also moved it with the bike on. Still got the dash indiciator flashing.

M620 turned M800 but then back to M620 after the M800 died at 110k, and now to Multi 1000.
sofadriver

An analog man in a digital world

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 05:11:49 AM »

I've also taken the instrument cluster apart just short of actually removing the chip board (to fix a speedometer issue.)

To troubleshoot problems like this I always ask myself "what have I been f**king around with that could have caused this problem?"

Mike in Tacoma
'08 S2r 1000 - Red on Red
'96 900 SS/SP
'02 ST4s (gone but not forgotten)

IBA 38181
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »

My guess is a short in the loom or in the back of the gauges.

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
thorn14

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »

So I'm still having this issue with my turn signals. They are stock signals and were malfunctioning when I bought the bike.

I tried unplugging the entire left side switch, but they still flash. I've taken the gauges fully apart and inspected the board for any signs of corrosion or overheating and only cleaned up a few spots on the board but nothing looked too out of place.

I tested both sides front and back for ground as well as trace each wire from the signal to the correct pin in the back of the gauges. I've stared at the wiring diagram, color coded, checked and double checked and I still cannot figure out why my signals won't stop flashing. To the best of my knowledge every wire is in tact and makes contact to its proper place. There are no other issues with the bike and every other light and function works and I've ridden it for about 800 miles.

Could it be a faulty gauge cluster or ecu? Is there some relay or fuse that could possibly cause an issue like this? Or would a dealer or other shop be able to diagnose this with some kind of diagnostic software?

Thanks for you help.

thorn14

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »

As a follow up, still no luck, however I've noticed the dash will start to indicate the constant flashing after the gauges sweep anywhere from immediately to 10 seconds later. Could this be a clue to an ECU or gauge issue? Or should I be chasing more wires.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 05:37:13 AM »

You might consider building a circuit with an external flasher.  It seems to me you have narrowed it to the instrument cluster.  The only way I know of to eliminate the cluster as the cause is to substitute a known good cluster. 

Generally, directionals work by running a hot lead to the flasher relay.  The switch then grounds the right or left, allowing that side to blink.  IMO, an indicator is not needed since you can see your front signals, unless required to pass inspection.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:55 AM »

On an '02, the 'blinker relay' is in the instrument cluster.
Sounds like that chip or it's inputs are buggered.

Suzyj here knows a good bit about the electronics.....Paging Suzyj to the white courtesy phone....

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »

As a follow up, still no luck, however I've noticed the dash will start to indicate the constant flashing after the gauges sweep anywhere from immediately to 10 seconds later. Could this be a clue to an ECU or gauge issue? Or should I be chasing more wires.

It's not the ECU. You can rule that out with confidence.

Do your gauges have condensation in them? If so it's probably your gauges.

When you turn the indicators on, the switch shorts an input going into the gauges to ground. If the input is shorted to ground, either within the gauges due to water or in the loom, then the indicators will stay on.

Check the resistance between ground and the indicator switch pins (the most convenient place is probably at the large indicator switch plug at the back of the triples).

Measure the resistance both back into the switch to either side, and towards the gauges. Repeat with the gauges disconnected. The resistance should be very high.

You can use this technique to isolate the problem to the switch block, gauges, or loom.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:40:02 PM by suzyj » Logged

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
thorn14

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »

My gauges had at one point had condensation in them and I fully disassembled them and wiped the chip clean and in between the individual contacts from what I was able to visibly see buildup (green corrosion).

Would measuring for continuity be as effective as measuring for resistance? Or am I "expecting" to find an example of low resistance which would lead to be the culprit? I traced each wire from the switch, to the connector on the back of the triples, to the gauges, to the individual lights. I got continuity for all of those.

If that all is the case I'll need to look into gauges/ external circuit for blinkers.

Thanks for all your help.

thorn14

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 02:33:33 PM »

I got my ecu reflashed to disable the immobilizer, got a new gauge cluster, and installed after verifying the old one still "worked". This one worked perfectly, so it was a problem with the cluster's internal blinker relay.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: