Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 08:54:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: DucatiDiag  (Read 114854 times)
JohnEE
Why not

« on: February 23, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »

UPDATE: DucatiDiag is no more, but there is JPDiag. Same program without all the legal trouble. Linky Linky

I was told about this software recently by a local DOC member. I wish I had found out about it earlier. There is some information on this forum but nothing consolidated and recent so I thought I would put together a guide.

• What is DucatiDiag?
    • It is a FREE piece of software written by an awesome guy in France. Basically it lets you perform basic maintenance on your ECU that would normally require a diagnostic unit the dealer has.
  • What can DucatiDiag do?
    • Set the Trim
    • Reset the TPS
    • Clear the maintenance wrench
    • Flash custom maps(This is the only function that cost money, 100 euro)
    • Preform various tests that I haven't gotten into yet

• I got my cables now what?
    • Download the latest version of the software off the fourm(There are two versions, one for old ECUs one for new ECUs).
    • Download the drivers for the USB to OBD Cable, Here for XP,Vista and Win7
    • Don't connect your OBD to USB cable before installing the above drivers!!

• Done and Done, What next?
    • Test your OBD cable! Some users fried their ECUs due to the red and black leads being swapped. You shall require a multimeter!
    • The OBD pinout(F) is as follows
    • Set your multimeter to its continuity setting(or resistance).
    • Test the +V lead. Connect one test lead to the Red Aligator clip and the other to pin 16. Use a piece of striped wire to make contact with the OBD pin.
    • You should be hearing a beep or getting a resistance if your OBD is wired correctly
    • Now to test the -V lead. Connect one test lead to the black alligator clip the other to pin 5.
    • If you get resistance or hear the beep, You are all set!!!

• Can we use the program finally?!?
    • Yes and no. We need to test the K pin of the AMP connector that connects to the bike before connecting to the ECU. You can skip this section if you trust the worker in China who probably made a 1000 of these in a day  Evil.
    • Connect your OBD to USB cable to your computer and then connect your other OBD cable to that.
    • Connect the red and black alligators clips to their respective terminals. Ethier your battery or like below( Red is V+, Black is V-)
    • Check and double check your leads before connecting!!! I'm not going to get blamed for those that can't use a voltmeter.
    • My OBD to USB cable lights up blue when it has V+
    • Check what com port the OBD connector is on, as shown below(mine is on com 8 )
    • Fire up DucatiDiag and choose your cable set
    • Should look like above, choose fast ini for 5AM ECUs and then click on cable test
    • The above test screen pops up. Enter your com port number into the box and click connect
    • The AMP connector is laid out like - | - -  with the K pin being on the left and the ground pin in the middle. Turn you multimeter to 20 DC Volts and click on the Kline =12V Button. Now when you put your positive test lead on the K pin and the negative lead to ground it should read 12V. Press the Kline = 0V and it will read 0V on your multimeter if everything is all set.

• Can I connect to my bike now?!?
    • Yes you may. Connect the AMP connector to the male AMP connector the is coming out of the left ECU connector as shown below.
    • Put your com port number into the box and if you feel confident about all your testing now press the connect button and turn your ignition onto the on state.
    • Now you can see the values the ECU is reading. You can't do much at this point. You must copy the info dump from the ECU and create a topic on the fourm and request a license. This is done to prevent commercial use and repackaging of the software.
  • TPS Reset
    • To reset the TPS click the test/reset button at the top of the DucatiDiag window. The window below should pop up
    • Note, you should reset the TPS before starting the bike. So turn the key to the on position but don't start the bike. Then connect in DucatiDiag
    • Then press the "TPS Reset" button it should change the TPS to its minimum value (Different for every bike).
  • Trimmer
    • Press the trimmer button at the top of the main DucatiDiag window to open up the below window.
    • Trimming is done with the bike running and when the bike has reached 40C. The buttons won't be available till then.
    • Once the bike has reached 40C you can add or subtract to your trimmer value and test it.
    • The "test" button writes it to the ECU but does not save the change. So you can just shut off the bike if you make a terrible mistake.
    • Press the confirm button to make the change permanent.
    • I haven't figured out how to use the graph to the right. It's supposed to map RPM vs TRIM so you can get an ideal setting.
  • Flashing your ECU
    • You need the writer.exe from JP(code author) and a license to be able to flash your ECU. 100 Euros is the cost.
    • You should dump your ECU first to create a backup before flashing it. The function is in the main DucatiDiag program at the top(No screen shots sorry).
    • Once you get a license from JP, you'll get access to the maps server with a bunch of ECU files from various bikes. Ask him if he has the on you want before getting the writer.
    • He had the DP ECU for my 695 so i downloaded it. Opened up the writer, and turned off the O2 sensor(other options can be seen in the window) then pointed the DP ECU and wrote it. Took about 15 mins.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 04:49:43 AM by JohnEE » Logged

OzzyRob
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:02:54 AM »

Great write up  waytogo

I'd just thought I'd throw in a little extra info for us with the earlier IE Monsters.

A version for the iaw15/16m & P8 (ducatidiagold) is available for diagnostics . There is also development being done on a version to reflash the iaw15 series as well (900SS/M900ie). The reading software is at a stage where it is reliable. Modding of maps can be done through tune edit once the xdf's are nutted out. Writing stage is going to need some brave souls.

http://ducatidiag.xooit.com/index.php is a great source of info, the author JP is on there quite a bit and always ready to help out. There's a international section for those of us that are uni-lingual. I go by the same user name over there.

I've added 2 & 3 pin AMP connectors to my adapter leads to make connection easier.
xsephirot

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:32:04 PM »

Thanks for the nice write up John! Are you using the program only to do diagnostics and reset TPS or do you plan on using it to do a custom tune? I may need to bother you for questions later on if I want to go a full tune.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 05:38:31 PM »

Why not just go with the proven Centurion[VDSTS] tool from Technoresearch? Is download software, connect hardware, use . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »

Very nice write up!

OzzyRob
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »

Why not just go with the proven Centurion[VDSTS] tool from Technoresearch? Is download software, connect hardware, use . . .

Damn site cheaper. And Ducatidiag is proven, it works.  waytogo

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:57:38 AM »

Damn site cheaper. And Ducatidiag is proven, it works.  waytogo

don't want to start an argument, but, mine was open box, install, connect to bike and done . . .or in other words, "plug 'n play" . . .plus, great live tech support

I downloaded this software and have not been able to make it work, the obd cable is the one from my auto scanner, I just got the USB adapter . . .I even get the blue led to light and I get nothing . . .

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 04:47:37 AM »

don't want to start an argument, but, mine was open box, install, connect to bike and done . . .or in other words, "plug 'n play" . . .plus, great live tech support

I downloaded this software and have not been able to make it work, the obd cable is the one from my auto scanner, I just got the USB adapter . . .I even get the blue led to light and I get nothing . . .

I would venture to guess the OBD cable from your auto scanner isn't the same pinout as the FIAT one everyone uses with DucatiDiag. I havn't heard anything about VDSTS, does it cost anything?

Thanks for the nice write up John! Are you using the program only to do diagnostics and reset TPS or do you plan on using it to do a custom tune? I may need to bother you for questions later on if I want to go a full tune.

Just for TPS and trim right now, i'll probably pay the $133 to be able to flash custom maps somewhere down the line. I'll just flash it to DP spec and swap out my filter for the MWR one.

I'll be updating this as i go through it. I don't have an exhaust on my bike right, thus stopping after connecting to the ECU. Will update in the coming weeks.

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 04:49:08 AM »

I would venture to guess the OBD cable from your auto scanner isn't the same pinout as the FIAT one everyone uses with DucatiDiag. I havn't heard anything about VDSTS, does it cost anything?

$229.00 plus S&H

Carlos
OzzyRob
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »

Hey no argument  Grin some want plug & play others like to fettle a bit.

The support at DD is great, heaps of guys there to give help and the author JP is cool.

Admittedly I using DD on a 2000 M900 with a iaw15m.A8 ECU so have no experience with the later ECU's.

I bought the cables as recommended on the forums ($20 AUD) and had no probs.
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:37 AM »

$229.00 plus S&H
That's why. As Rob said, the community is very helpful and the author is pretty much always on there helping out. It is by no means a commercial product and is in a perputual beta test. But having said that, you can't beat free(mostly)  Cool

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »

I've gone and checked cables as you say, everything checks OK and still can't connect . . . My OBD cable measures as you mention, I have a VW Bora and a FIAT Punto  . . . and the Suzuki Swift

Carlos
JoeP

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »

I've gone and checked cables as you say, everything checks OK and still can't connect . . . My OBD cable measures as you mention, I have a VW Bora and a FIAT Punto  . . . and the Suzuki Swift

Sometimes you have to put a USB hub between the cables and your laptop to get it to work. I don't know why, but it's been discussed in the DD forums. I have not needed one. Also, are you sure you've got the com port set correctly in DD? The default is not usually correct. Also need to install the correct driver for the cable. There's a link to that on the DD site as well.

Once everything is set up correctly, it works like a charm.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:56:16 AM by JoeP » Logged
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »

try uninstalling the drivers and re installing them, you need to install the drivers before you connect your OBD to USB cable also.

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »

it gave me COM8, it's win7pro so it did it automatically

Carlos
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: