Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 02:25:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JohnEE's S2R1000 Project  (Read 11281 times)
JohnEE
Why not

« on: May 24, 2014, 06:06:50 AM »

After spending the winter doing nothing except maintenance stuff to the ducs I figured it was time to start modding and making this bike my own.

Start of project:

Current form:

The bike:
2008 S2R 1000 bought used with 5,103 miles on the clock. Bought in August of '13

This is my dream monster. To have found one from the last model year and with a minuscule amount of miles is a dream come true. To me the S2R1k is the perfect example of everything that is right with Monsters/Ducati. The DS engine has more than enough power for the street, the SSA is awesome and the shotgun style pipes are gorgeous(The Arrow full system is moto art).

That being said these are the things I want to change!

Already Done

• Got rid of Lambda sensor with ECU flash
  • Full Arrow Pipes
  • Sargent Seat
  • One CRG lane splitter mirror and one knock off from PO. Might replace with CRG Arrows
  • Removed Lmabda sensor cable and plugged hole in exhaust
  • Removed Fork Reflectors
  • Red reflective tape has been added to the wheels
  • Crankcase breather kit from TPO parts
  • Hand made seat tray
  • 696/796/1100 MotoDynamics Integrated Tail light
  • MT-03 Head light
  • Barracuda Mini-Viper turn signals
  • Shroai Battery

To Do

Suspension
  • Forks - The showas are going to replaced with ohlins from a SBK. Reason being is that I wanted to anodize the forks gold/black and get them re sprung for my fat ass. After looking up cost for doing that to the stock showas it will be easier to just get ohlins and have them re-sprung even if it cost a little more.
  • Triple Tree - Swapping to Ohlins forks means doing something to the triple. Drilling out the top and getting a Speedy moto bottom should offer the least resistance/cost.
  • Handlebars - Raise the handlebars and maybe replace with the red Rizoma ones.
  • Rear Spring - Replace the stocker with penske rear spring.

Electrical
  • Headlight - replace the stock with an MT-03 and mount it so it doesn't look like crap(Look up Radical Ducati's Pursang).
  • Gauge Cluster - The MT-03 headlight looks like dog poo with the stock gauges. They will be replaced with a Moto scope pro
  • ECU -  Find a way to edit the ECU bin so i can disable the immobilizer to swap the gauges.
  • Wire Harness - Completely re wire and re run all wires to make it naked as possible. Move to smaller connectors when applicable. Install M-unit
  • Move to smaller street fighter switches

Paint/Powdercoat
  • Powder Coat - powder coat everything silver on the bike to black, swingarm, rear sets, triple tree. The engine should be the only thing standing out after I'm done.
  • Paint - Paint the headlight like the Shed-X 1098

Engine
  • Airbox - toss it and move to pods
  • Belt Covers - SpeedyMoto belt covers or carbon fiber

Clutch
  • Cover - Open it up! SpeedyMoto # spoke cover.
  • Pressure Plate - SpeedyMoto Gidorah pressure plate
  • Oberon Clutch Slave

Other
  • Billet Key Switch Cover. The stock one looks cheap!
  • CF Rear Hugger
  • CF Front Fender
  • Make new oil cooler lines and reroute both lines to non clutch side
  • Sprocket cover, probably a ducabike one
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:11:34 PM by JohnEE » Logged

ducatigirl100
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 06:12:42 AM »

Suscribe .... looking forward to everything  popcorn.... I love overhaul treads! Dolph
roggie

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »

Suscribe .... looking forward to everything  popcorn.... I love overhaul treads! Dolph

+1  popcorn

Congrats on the good find too!

hackers2r

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »

Looks like a nice project.  But if you're concerned with the handling and you're replacing the forks upfront, I'd suggest taking a look at the rear shock as well, the bike may work better as a whole if you upgrade both.  With that said, I don't know if the valving from the Ohlins off a super bike will work with the monster.  Someone else may know a little better.
grunte

Amazing

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:13:47 PM »

I likewise have an 08 s2r.  I bought mine new.  I haven't done many mods to it other then a tail chop, bar ends, and aftermarket signals.  I am now getting the urge to spend money on parts but am finding it more and more difficult to do so because the year of the bike being six years old now.  Do you or anyone else reading this know where I can get parts?, I specific I would like termis or sil exhaust but cannot find them for this year bike.
Thanks
Travman

‘70 Guzzi, ‘73 Norton, ‘73 V7 Sport, ‘12 V7 Racer

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »

The rear swing arm looks great when painted or powdered coated black on the S2R bikes. There was one that came with the swingarm black already. I think it was the 2008 S4R with the red frame and titanium (matte gray) paint job.
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »

I actually think matching swingarm to frame color looks best  waytogo
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »

Update!
Flashed the ECU to get rid of the O2 sensor. Less Wires make me happy. Runs soo much better now at low RPMs, the DucEE couldn't solve all the problems. I'll be looking to make as many small changes as possible, the wifey and I are saving up for a house. But I still should be able to make some decent progress here and there with some cheap mods.

xsephirot

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 10:24:41 AM »

Update!
Flashed the ECU to get rid of the O2 sensor. Less Wires make me happy. Runs soo much better now at low RPMs, the DucEE couldn't solve all the problems. I'll be looking to make as many small changes as possible, the wifey and I are saving up for a house. But I still should be able to make some decent progress here and there with some cheap mods.

John, have you already done the rewiring? Will you be doing that suzy mod where everything runs thru an electric breaker thingy?
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »

John, have you already done the rewiring? Will you be doing that suzy mod where everything runs thru an electric breaker thingy?
Not yet, and yes i will be replacing the fuse box with an solid state circuit.

JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 08:26:28 AM »

Got some small things done. Removed the Lambda sensor cable and DucEE from the bike. Added reflective wheel tape to 3/4 sides of the wheels, I ran out for the last side  Sad . Cleaned her up for once also. Picking away....

JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »

Zombie build/thread back from the dead!!! I've updated the first post also with future plans/current state. Just picked away at some things over the winter. I'll mention vendors and manufactures as to where I sourced these goodies from. When we support them they support the forum!

Finished the tail chop with an integrated tail light(MotoDynamics via Monster Parts). I got one for a 696/796 since it's not a plain as the older monster ones. Also I ordered the correct electrical connectors from Cycle Terminal. I got the crimper as well. Works fairly well, I would recommend it if you want a general crimper for most contacts or don't need to do many crimps. Cycle terminal should most have everything you need if you don't want to search through mouser or digikey(worst search engine ever...).

I also got rid of the crankcase breather(TPO Parts) and removed the plastic tray. Made a new tray and tail light bracket out of aluminnum and coated with a plasti dip like spray.

I'll clean up the wiring when I go through the whole harness. These are Tyco AMP Multilock 040 Series Connectors for the turn signals and a 3 pos Sumitomo HM Sealed series for the brake light.

The 695's battery died so I took that as a sign to buy a Shorai for my S2R and swap the lead acid from it. I also put my MT-03 head light on and installed Barracuda mini-viper turn signals(Monster Parts). I love the mini-viper turn signals. The front looks like garbage until I can get rid of the stock gauges(Moto gadget = $$$). I forgot to take a good picture so squint at this crappy phone pic for now....

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:46:40 PM by JohnEE » Logged

MotoPsycho
General Nuisance and a

My Dream, my rules !

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »

Nice. Looks like you're on the right track. I have a motoscope pro and plan to do a M-unit very soon. You'll need the Breakout Box B for the gauges to show all the info FI bikes give. Def check out Revival Cycles. They have about the best prices and they have excellent customer service even if you're not a customer...yet. Kopfjager could tell you all about the M-unit woes with FI. I'd give him a PM.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:56:29 PM by MotoPsycho » Logged

Edgar: '99 M750 - 2009 Indy Ducati Rat Bike Award Winner
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 03:52:16 PM »

I knew he had one, didn't know he had problems with it. Revival and Spielgler are the places I've found that distribute motogadget stuff in the US. Thanks for the info!

JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »

Pictures of stuff!!!

Need to build a new tray once I start moving everything around.

Those gauges..... vomit

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: