Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 07:00:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from NC. First time for streetbikes  (Read 818 times)
Frogfish

« on: February 06, 2013, 07:57:39 PM »

Hi guys, Santosh here.

Never owned a streetbike, but have always wanted one. I rode dirt bikes for a short time, but its been over 10 years since I've been on something with 2 wheels.

Always been a sort of a gearhead though. Lifted trucks, boats, utvs.

I have ALWAYS loved how the Ducati Monster looks...easily my favorite production bike. Figured I could come here to learn more before I make a purchase. Eyeing the 696.

Looking forward to learning a lot.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »

Welcome,

PLENTY of info here, and even more opinions.

As you might expect, there's a couple schools of throughs on getting a 'first' bike. I use the quotey marks since it's not really your first - but first street, first in a while and heavier than any of the dirty bikes you rode.

One school:
- Don't buy new, don't buy shiny. Monsters are great bikes, but can be costy to fix up in the event of something as simple as a drop or low speed off, which are pretty common to new riders. Get something used, like an SV650, cut your teeth and sell the next year. I've seen folk manage to buy an SV over the winter and sell it the follow spring after a years worth of riding, for more than they paid. Winter marks a low point for used bike prices, spring they surge up.

Another school:
- Start Small. Despite the 696 being the baby of the Monster line, it's got about as much power as my 900, which was the big boy of it's era, and is nothing to sneeze at. More power can make learning more of a challenge as the bike isn't as forgiving. Also a smaller bike will be less weighty (usually)

Do what you want school:
- yeah, do what you want.

I lean towards the first two. One nice thing is if you get that SV, spend a year or so on it and sell it (hopefully turning a profit) getting an 1100 isn't so bad a next step. And hell, you might be ahead in the bank book.

The 696 isn't bad, but it is the entry model. Besides the smallest engine it has lower end spec on things like the suspension. And after getting my hands on a bike with good suspension, after one with the base line - it does make a big difference. Comfort, confidence, handling all better. As you ladder up the displacements, you'll see better components. So it's something to consider.

Of course, you'll need to figure out your own battle plan. I won't say I didn't go straight for a 620 as my first, but at least it was used.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Frogfish

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »

Welcome,

PLENTY of info here, and even more opinions.

As you might expect, there's a couple schools of throughs on getting a 'first' bike. I use the quotey marks since it's not really your first - but first street, first in a while and heavier than any of the dirty bikes you rode.

One school:
- Don't buy new, don't buy shiny. Monsters are great bikes, but can be costy to fix up in the event of something as simple as a drop or low speed off, which are pretty common to new riders. Get something used, like an SV650, cut your teeth and sell the next year. I've seen folk manage to buy an SV over the winter and sell it the follow spring after a years worth of riding, for more than they paid. Winter marks a low point for used bike prices, spring they surge up.

Another school:
- Start Small. Despite the 696 being the baby of the Monster line, it's got about as much power as my 900, which was the big boy of it's era, and is nothing to sneeze at. More power can make learning more of a challenge as the bike isn't as forgiving. Also a smaller bike will be less weighty (usually)

Do what you want school:
- yeah, do what you want.

I lean towards the first two. One nice thing is if you get that SV, spend a year or so on it and sell it (hopefully turning a profit) getting an 1100 isn't so bad a next step. And hell, you might be ahead in the bank book.

The 696 isn't bad, but it is the entry model. Besides the smallest engine it has lower end spec on things like the suspension. And after getting my hands on a bike with good suspension, after one with the base line - it does make a big difference. Comfort, confidence, handling all better. As you ladder up the displacements, you'll see better components. So it's something to consider.

Of course, you'll need to figure out your own battle plan. I won't say I didn't go straight for a 620 as my first, but at least it was used.

Thanks for the response. I plan to buy used if possible...maybe an older monster if I can find one.

How hard is it to upgrade the suspension on these bikes? If I end up getting something I want to keep for a while, I know it isn't going to stay stock for long!
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »

Thanks for the response. I plan to buy used if possible...maybe an older monster if I can find one.

How hard is it to upgrade the suspension on these bikes? If I end up getting something I want to keep for a while, I know it isn't going to stay stock for long!

Nothing stays stock on this forum for long... Wink Grin

For suspension there are a couple of ways to go about it..

For the rear,
Easiest and cheapest suspension upgrade, swap the stock rear shock spring for something tuned to your weight. Or you can get a whole rear shock unit from Ohlins, progressive or one of the many sportbike suspension OEMs.

for the front,
1. get internals that are tuned to your weight
2. Superbike forks from other Ducati. Are usually stiffer and offer greater adjust ability than most stock monster forks.

Use the search function, there aren't many topics on here that haven't been discussed.

Welcome!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: