Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 04:18:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detroit's Monster Build (conceivably some other stuff to)  (Read 44694 times)
Detroit117

Wings of Steel

« on: August 23, 2012, 02:57:22 AM »

Just started tearing into my monster, figured I would start a thread. That way, you guys get to experience the frustration and maybe a bit of fun that will come out of this. I will post some changes to my bike soon.

Me, the day I got it.

Bone stock

I'm a third generation gear head, been working with my hands my entire life. My dad and I have a shop that we use to fix, restore, and modify just about anything. The Shop is where I go to get away. It's my sanctum. It is also a complete mess right now. Helping a friend of mine rebuild his boat. There is junk every where.

"Office"

General layout:

Big equipment:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:38:26 AM by Detroit117 » Logged
Raux
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:28:11 AM »

Plans? concepts?

is it a minor mod or complete rebuild?
Detroit117

Wings of Steel

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:40:13 AM »

Not really sure how it will end up. Basically plan on changing everything except the frame and swingarm. I have some parts that need to be put on, with more on the way.
Raux
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:05:32 AM »

Evil what's your budget?
Detroit117

Wings of Steel

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:31:44 AM »

Haha don't have one. Whatever it costs to make the bike look and feel the way I want it to. Doesn't mean I will throw money at it, but I know it will not be cheap. Already spent around 1500 bucks on parts and materials.
Raux
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 04:55:53 AM »

sorry. WE LOVE to throw other people's money at their bikes Cheesy

so are you tearing it down to motor and building up?
engine mods?
full paint?
are you a carbon fiber guy or like Titanium?

come on stop teasing us... 1500 in parts isn't a sneeze. what are they?
Detroit117

Wings of Steel

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:08:10 AM »

Noticed, but thats kinda what you do when you own a monster. My philosophy is change it, ride the hell out of it, then change it some more Grin. It really depends on how and where the materials are used. I can say I hate chrome.

Wanted to wait till I had photos, but since you asked.

Parts list so far:
Quat-D Exbox exhaust system.
Comp. Werkes tail kit.
CRG levers and mirrors.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:09:42 AM by Detroit117 » Logged
Raux
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 05:09:01 AM »

you'll want to exchange that CW tail kit for another one.
Evotech or R&G racing or pretty much ANY other make. the CW is the worst of all of them.
Detroit117

Wings of Steel

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 05:13:50 AM »

Why so down on that kit? Had it out of the box, and I'm happy with the quality.
Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 05:40:13 AM »

Ill pitch in here for ya raux. lol Ive got the kit on my 796 and the only reason i stuck with it is cause i was too excited to put on new stuff.  There are many gaps and holes in the kit, let alone its made of cheap thin stainless steel that bends and flexes way to easily.  It causes a lot of vibration in my tail light causing wiring issues.  Heres a link to the pictures of it installed on my bike. http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=56634.msg1051711#msg1051711The only benefit i see in this kit is the ability to run the plate tucked farther under the tail.  Im sure with some mig welding and powdercoating it wouldnt be AS bad but still.  For the price..... totally not worth it.  I dont at all mean to shoot down part of your plans but i would totally recommend a different tail kit.

"Life's tough.  Its even tougher if your stupid!"

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
       Custom Woodcraft tank cover, Danmoto Conicals, Tall boy clip ons, Rizoma grips and mirrors, Oberon bar end signals, Comp werkz tail tuck, Integrated turn signal LED tail light, Rollei HD camera mount, 2 12 volt outlets, Can Headlight, custom lowered guage, heat wrapped exhaust, S4R Wheels, 10500 miles.
-2009 Ducati Monster 696 Custom Mirrors, Renthal Bars, 6100 Miles
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
Detroit117

Wings of Steel

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 05:55:51 AM »

Appreciate the heads up on the tail kit. Probably still go with the Comp. Werkes kit. Really prefer the way it looks and the bare metal finish.

However, will make extra sure my wiring is water tight. Might also mock it up then TIG it together.
Raux
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »

also the corners are sharp as fell. the top ones were too close to the seat for my comfort.
the wiring issue Anchorism is having isn't moisture it's vibration, the metal is so thin and weak that the light vibrates too much causing the internals to come loose.

the TIG may help as it may support the light more?
MonsterHPD

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »

Detroit 117,
I´m really envious about that shop  waytogo

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
memper

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »

Jeez with a shop like that and materials at hand (is that a CNC machine?) you can probably make almost any part you could think of. Budget could likely be very low. I say make whatever you can. Anyone can open their wallet....

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
Detroit117

Wings of Steel

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »

Detroit 117,
I´m really envious about that shop  waytogo

Jeez with a shop like that and materials at hand (is that a CNC machine?) you can probably make almost any part you could think of. Budget could likely be very low. I say make whatever you can. Anyone can open their wallet....

Thanks guys, I swear it's usually much cleaner. We have had a few major projects come in and out recently. If there is enough interest, I will make some posts about the other stuff going on in the shop.

I do plan on making some parts in house, and modifying the parts I order. Its always cool to fab up some "one off" parts for a build. First changes will be kinda simple, but things will probably get a bit crazy later on Smiley.

Mods: Exhaust and tail kit

Really thanks again for the advise. The tail kit will more than likely come back off to get welded up. Although, I think its really not that bad. All the electrical connections are covered by heat shrink and full of dielectric grease. Also mounted the tail light on some thin rubber bushings to reduce the vibrations.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: