Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 09, 2024, 10:35:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tail Chop for 796?  (Read 3067 times)
aaen

« on: April 21, 2012, 11:37:13 PM »

So I know this has been covered many times before but it seems that most are chosen either the competition works or evotech tail tidy(or whatever it is called) for the new monsters.  What I am curious about is that I am going to put in an aftermarket integrated LED tail light(one with the turn signals, etc) and I want to get ride of the turn signal mounting spots, however I would like to be able to have the option to put them back on should I move and not have to do an entire switch out on the tail(for inspection purposes)

Before I go and buy one of these, are these mounting brackets/holders able to be removed by screws?  Or do they need to be cut off?  As far as I can tell on the evotech ones they look to be riveted in place with the license plate holder.  The competition works one appear to be in the actual pan that attached underneath the seat(does this rehire plugs to fill n the holes or do they come with it?)

Anyways any help on that would be appreciated

Thanks

Steve
Raux
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:01:43 AM »

the CW mounts are optional IIRC
aaen

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:29:20 PM »

Damn ir u just karate kicked
My turn signal off. Well actually a fold in my pant caught it while I was dismounting damn how much is a replacement rail light anyways?

I electrical taped it back together for now. But i'd like to keep all the parts incase i have to
Move and have it reinspected etc. In another province.

Ah well this just means i was on the right track to chop of the tail.

Steve
Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »

So on my 796 ive got the CW tail chop.... Frankly i wasnt impressed by it but me being excited to do anything to the new bike at the time i put it on anyways. It looks like they took a peice of sheet metal and rough cut it and bent it to work. The only part i really care for on it is the fact i can mount my plate in two locations, under the tail or at the end. At the same time i installed this i put in a smoked integrated turn signal tail light with no problems whatsoever. After moving overseas i had an attachment bracket made to put on turn signals for inspection purposes. (Basically just a peice of strap L bent at the ends and drilled. I bolted it directly to the plate bolts.) Back to the main parth though, i wansnt very impressed with the chop. It was a pain to put on, and it needs to be powdercoated to match any damn part of my bike. (Havent got that done just yet.) If you have any other questions or want pics of it just let me know....

"Life's tough.  Its even tougher if your stupid!"

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
       Custom Woodcraft tank cover, Danmoto Conicals, Tall boy clip ons, Rizoma grips and mirrors, Oberon bar end signals, Comp werkz tail tuck, Integrated turn signal LED tail light, Rollei HD camera mount, 2 12 volt outlets, Can Headlight, custom lowered guage, heat wrapped exhaust, S4R Wheels, 10500 miles.
-2009 Ducati Monster 696 Custom Mirrors, Renthal Bars, 6100 Miles
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
aaen

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:25:25 AM »

Yeah, i wouldn't mind a few pics if you could. Be nice to see what the actual colour is.  I figured they were all black?  But from the sounds if things and reading a few other places/posts, it appears some of them may not be or it depends on the batch.

Thanks
Steve
jaxduc
Have you seen my

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:11:34 AM »

hacksaw? Dolph

Aren't you the Panigale hater?
Booma

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:22:04 AM »

Be very careful with the CW chop. I put it on my 796 and after a month the license bracket fell off on the highway and took $100 worth of Rizoma indicators with it. I fabricated a new bracket out of 1/16" aluminum and bought some better hardware to secure it. It is much more secure now and stable. My case may be isolated, but I would recommend beefing up the mount to be safe.
Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »

Yeah, i wouldn't mind a few pics if you could. Be nice to see what the actual colour is.  I figured they were all black?  But from the sounds if things and reading a few other places/posts, it appears some of them may not be or it depends on the batch.

Thanks
Steve

Here are some pics. Sorry btw it was a bit wet on the roads today so shes a bit dirty.

Im not really a big fan of the holes in the bottom...I could go through and plug them but ill wait till i get it powdercoated.

As you can see the plate for the light mount couldve been a sealed unit instead of the crappy seam.

As you can see in the corners there are MAJOR gaps that allow a lot of moisture in. Im still trying to come up with the best way to seal this part.

Here is a sideview of the housing where the wiring and keyhole for the seat assembly is. Other than that i cant really complain much because it does me no good. I shouldve returned it before installation. Im not a person that complains all day about something i chose to stick with. When i go through and mod the rear end some more ill make this part much more worthy of being on my bike. The turn signals are on there only for local restrictions. I usually do not have them on due to an integrated smoked LED tail lamp. Hope this helps in your decision on the 796  tail tuck kits. If you need any other pics or have other questions about 796 stuff feel free and ask!

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
       Custom Woodcraft tank cover, Danmoto Conicals, Tall boy clip ons, Rizoma grips and mirrors, Oberon bar end signals, Comp werkz tail tuck, Integrated turn signal LED tail light, Rollei HD camera mount, 2 12 volt outlets, Can Headlight, custom lowered guage, heat wrapped exhaust, S4R Wheels, 10500 miles.
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
ChrisH

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:30 AM »

The CW kit is a pain to install, not very intuitive, should have been powder coated for the price, and lets tons of debris & moisture in. The positives are that it has 2 options to mount the plate, and the indicator mount is optional. I chose the cw kit despite the list of negatives because the 2 positives out weighed the rest.

2010 Monster 696
2005 Honda Ruckus
1985 Honda Spree
-Austin Texas-
Anchorism
Fast and Agile

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »

The CW kit is a pain to install, not very intuitive, should have been powder coated for the price, and lets tons of debris & moisture in. The positives are that it has 2 options to mount the plate, and the indicator mount is optional. I chose the cw kit despite the list of negatives because the 2 positives out weighed the rest.

Same here.... I run my plate under the tire when im in the states. It looks SOO much better that way. I dont think it would be that hard to make a sealed/powdercoated unit with a little elbow grease and a few bucks...

-2011 Ducati Monster 796
-1985 Moto Guzzi V65TT
   Knobby tires
Raux
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:56:42 AM »

I'm hoping motocreations comes through on their project...
aaen

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »

Anyone have any pics of the evotech tail tidy or whatever its called installed on a bike from underneath, etc. the ones i have found so far don't really show anything but what it looks like from a distance. i'm looking for close up pic's etc. 

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: