Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:50:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 696 midpipe on 1100.  (Read 7616 times)
rozer

« on: July 28, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »

Because I dislike the aesthetics of the flapper beneath the seat of my M1100 I recently sourced a 696 midpipe. There are quite a few topics regarding the replacement of the midpipe.I think I've read them all but still have some questions regardig this mod.

1. Is it difficult to get to all the bolts 'n bits? Does it require to loosen the bolts on the cylinder-side of the headers to disconnect the midpipe?
2. I'm considering to order a duc.ee @ motocreations. Being in Europe, delivery time is 6-10 days. In the meantime can I just disconnect the cable connected from the servo to the flapper?
3. This part is being offered @ desmoworld: http://www.desmoworld.com/shop/de/anschlagblech-klappenmotor.html What does it do?
4. Is it possible to get rid of the servo and ignore the error-message on the dash? Or will it result in me spinning of the road in a big ball of fire?  Smiley

Please excuse me for posting questions of which the anwsers might allready be in one of the other topics. If so, please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for all your help.
northerncalguy

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:23:40 AM »

1) No. Possibly, the fittings for the pipes are very tight (not that much clearance) so you may need to undo bolts to get leverage to wiggle out that midpipe.

2) You can, but you'd have to live with a engine error code on the dash until you get the duc.ee. You can technically leave everything connected but the wire that goes the flapper and tuck it under the seat until you get your duc.ee.

3) No idea. General rule: if you don't know what it does, don't touch it Smiley

4) See (2).
rozer

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »

Thank you for anwsering all my questions northerncalguy!  waytogo 

Something is still unclear to me;
How does the servo "know" that the cable is detached from the flapper.
What kind of voodoo-magic is at work here?!
Has it anything to do with the resistance the flapper spring offers?

3.My German is a bit rusty but what I understand from the desmoworld website this part prevents the errormessage from popping up.
xplodee

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »

If you give up and decide to sell the midpipe, let me know!  waytogo

2009 M1100s
1988 Honda Hawk GT (track)

Past Bikes:
1995 Ducati Supersport 900CR
2007 Ducati Sportclassic S1000 SE
Raux
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »

where are you at?
xplodee

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 11:59:50 AM »

where are you at?

Me or OP?

2009 M1100s
1988 Honda Hawk GT (track)

Past Bikes:
1995 Ducati Supersport 900CR
2007 Ducati Sportclassic S1000 SE
rozer

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »

@xplodee: Ha! I will try to stick to it and figure this thing out. Just got the thing from a local ebay-esk website for cheap.

@raux: I'm from Holland (aka The Netherlands  Smiley ). Introduced myself in the introduce yourself section yesterday. 
Raux
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »

@xplodee: Ha! I will try to stick to it and figure this thing out. Just got the thing from a local ebay-esk website for cheap.

@raux: I'm from Holland (aka The Netherlands  Smiley ). Introduced myself in the introduce yourself section yesterday. 
Mark said it would take that long for the Duc.EE to come in?
rozer

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »

On the motocreations website a 6-10 days delivery time for International Shipping is stated. Am I wrong to asume this is relevant for shipment to Holland?
Raux
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 12:32:54 PM »

On the motocreations website a 6-10 days delivery time for International Shipping is stated. Am I wrong to asume this is relevant for shipment to Holland?

i suppose. guess i never realized how long stuff takes to get here
rozer

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »

Yeah, why didn't some Italian based company figured this thing out?
Are the Americans more creative when it comes to modding exhausts (e.g. boomtubes)?

Mhhh... somehow the exhaust on your bike tells this exact story too, Raux.
Love what you did to your bike. Sounds awesome!
Raux
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »

Yeah, why didn't some Italian based company figured this thing out?
Are the Americans more creative when it comes to modding exhausts (e.g. boomtubes)?

Mhhh... somehow the exhaust on your bike tells this exact story too, Raux.
Love what you did to your bike. Sounds awesome!

thanks. and yes, there are some pretty innovative people in America, well those that want to work Wink

but I've seen some stuff out of Italy that's awesome too, just got to be able to read their sites
rozer

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »

Finally got around to replacing the mid section of the exhaust with the 696 item:

DSC_4865

When idling, the exhaust note does sound a little deeper than before.
There also seems a difference in volume on the move.
I know there shouldn't be... but it does seem a bit louder.

If anyone is interested I can do a write-up of the process on replacing the mid-pipe.

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »

So are you running with or without Duc.EE?

Something is still unclear to me;
How does the servo "know" that the cable is detached from the flapper.
What kind of voodoo-magic is at work here?!
Has it anything to do with the resistance the flapper spring offers?
Here's an explanation from one of Duc.EE's developers (he's actually talking about why you may experience a one-time CEL after first installing a new Duc.ee, but the reasoning for the error when the cable from the servo motor to the flappergate is removed remains as described below):
We believe the stock cable tension on each individual bike has something to do with this. It tends to act as a "mechanical memory" that will move/set the stock encoder(flapper) to a fixed known position on its dynamic range.  When you install a "virgin" Duc.EE and power up for the very first time, your bike will wake up expecting to read the last know postion based on the tension the cable was pulling/pushing on the stock encoder to what it has in memory.  But now that you have gone and removed the stock cable/flapper setup and replaced it with a Duc.EE the default position Duc.EE will report to the ECU may not be in the window of what the ECU was expecting. The majority of the time the ECU will over look this and do a new homing sequence. On the rare occasion, during installation, it ends up swearing at you. If that is the case, like Mark pointed out, just switch off the bike and back on again to allow the ECU to relearn the new(Duc.EE's) position. You are then good to go. You will never experience this again.

You have probably seen this, but in case not, here's my own Duc.ee/696 midpipe experience:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=28586.msg605226#msg605226

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
R0CKETMAN

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 02:53:27 AM »

Finally got around to replacing the mid section of the exhaust with the 696 item:

DSC_4865

When idling, the exhaust note does sound a little deeper than before.
There also seems a difference in volume on the move.
I know there shouldn't be... but it does seem a bit louder.

If anyone is interested I can do a write-up of the process on replacing the mid-pipe.

Thanks. Any other noticeable differences? I'd need "write up" IF only I could find a 696 mid pipe.

So are you running with or without Duc.EE?
Here's an explanation from one of Duc.EE's developers (he's actually talking about why you may experience a one-time CEL after first installing a new Duc.ee, but the reasoning for the error when the cable from the servo motor to the flappergate is removed remains as described below):
You have probably seen this, but in case not, here's my own Duc.ee/696 midpipe experience:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=28586.msg605226#msg605226

Thanks Ung

"Bones Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: