Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:56:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Gold Struck in Socal!  (Read 32063 times)
S2daRk

« on: August 23, 2008, 05:39:41 PM »

Some of you saw my original thread: http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=3104.0

Well, I got my bike back together and I'm finally back on the road! What should have been a simple project, turned out to become more than I originally planned. When I started to take my bike apart, the plan was to black it out by getting some parts powdercoated; however, the project evolved into much more...

First some before pics:

After: Black Gold!

I wanted to do something a little different with the swingarm. Instead of powdercoating it, I decided to polish and anodize it to match the deep gold color of my CRG levers. The polishing was a ton of work, but after getting it back from the anodizer, I realized it was worth it. To keep the swingarm from getting nicked, I went with a Shift-Tech carbon hugger.
While I had the swingarm off, it was a perfect time to upgrade the Sachs shock. An Ohlins gold shock was the obvious choice to keep with the theme, but I found a great deal on an S4R Showa adjustable shock, I decided to use the $$$ I saved to buy some other bling - like the gold sprocket nuts, Sato rearsets, and the Rizoma billet CF sprocket cover.

Since I upgraded the rear suspension, I needed to upgrade the front as well. I sent the Marzocchis to Jason at Dept. of Suspension and he installed the Matris cartridge kit and anodized the fork tubes while he was at it. I think the fork and swingarm really balance each other out. The stock silver tank decals no longer matched, so a heat gun to remove them and some ol' skool gold decals in their place.

Now that the bike is pretty much blacked out, the stainless pipes on the Zards seem out of place. I'm thinking ceramic coating this winter. I also have a pair of 4-pad calipers and 320mm rotors to install, but I didn't feel like waiting for new brake lines, so they too will have to wait for this winter.

The windscreen helps when riding on the freeway, but I like the look without it; I guess I'll ride it this way for a bit. I like the barend mirrors the best when the windscreen is removed, so CRG LS it is. DP billet signals replace the bulky stockers and a DP diversion fender wraps the front tire. When I reinstalled the triples, I took the opportunity to upgrade to tapered bearings.

All in all, I'm really happy the way it turned out. Although it took much longer than I would have liked, at least I can say I did most of the work myself. Now that I have the confidence, I'm going to tackle the 6k valve adjustment pretty soon!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:36:08 PM by S2daRk » Logged
DesmonsterS4RS

"The Desmodromic Symphony"

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 06:14:12 PM »

GORGEOUS!!!!!! I love everything about it!  Black and gold is my favorite color combo, and the anodized swingarm is a very unique touch  waytogo waytogo

07 S4RS, Full Arrows (CF), DP ECU, Open Airbox, K&N, Speedymoto Gold "Kukri" PP, Rizoma Clutch Cover, DP Gel Seat, Cookies1 Tail Chop, 14 Tooth Front Sprocket, CRG LS, Dyno Tuned by AMS 132rwhp, 74 lb ft.
duc996

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »

I love what you did with the ride!Nice color combo and those swingarm is pregnant dogin  waytogo got a nice taste brother.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:49:00 AM by duc996 » Logged

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »

That is a sick swingarm waytogo

Lou
CMDRDAVE

'01 Yellow M900i.e. '98 Yellow 748

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:10:49 PM »

I gold looks great!!!   I would never have thought I would like the black/gold combo, but the set up you have is just right.  Eye catching but not too flashy.   waytogo

Insert witty comment here-->
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:12:28 PM »

Lovin the retro decal.  Wink

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
m9hundo

a.k.a. gil

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »

applause applause applause job well done, very tasteful, not overboard.

whats moepery? moepery is when you expose yourself to a blind person.
red baron

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 08:30:37 PM »

waytogo drink

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Alexandre
Monstro

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »

that is sick....  Cool
Gus Duc

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 09:01:36 PM »

Nicely done...... waytogo

What was the cost on the Matris upgrade on the front fork Huh?  Not the anno, just the cartridges.
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 09:36:47 PM »

Very well done.  waytogo

I like the fact that you linked it all together with a theme rather than just throwing parts at it. It's the little things that make all the difference like the gold sprocket nuts and bolts for the rearsets.

How about some custom made gold brake lines?  Wink

Also, what if you anodized the endcaps on the exhaust gold while it's apart getting ceramic coated? Now that would be SICK!!!

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
zarn02

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 10:21:21 PM »

very sexy. waytogo

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
S2daRk

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »

Very well done.  waytogo

I like the fact that you linked it all together with a theme rather than just throwing parts at it. It's the little things that make all the difference like the gold sprocket nuts and bolts for the rearsets.

How about some custom made gold brake lines?  Wink

Also, what if you anodized the endcaps on the exhaust gold while it's apart getting ceramic coated? Now that would be SICK!!!

Thanks! For the brake lines, I think I'm going to go with black lines with gold fittings. Yeah, I definitely want to do something with the Zard endcaps. I'd like to get it anodized black with the triangular cutouts gold. I don't know how to remove the endcaps tho...they seem to be permanently riveted to the cans. I would probably have to drill out the rivets.
MaxPower

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 12:25:50 AM »

Well done, the swingarm looks awesome  waytogo

Nobody snuggles with Max Power. You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!
----------------
2003 M620i.e.
Carman

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 01:47:27 AM »

Beautiful bike man!!

Carman
'07 S4RS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: