Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 12:33:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2004 s4r dual headlight wiring  (Read 3559 times)
oneImonster

« on: July 28, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »

I just got my dual headlight kit from spareshack...  the wiring with the kit says:

existing                  twin headlamp

black            --       2 x white wires
black/white   --       yellow
yellow          --       yellow (to pilot lamps)
yellow/black  --       black/white

the only thread search i could use came up info for the stock wiring for an s2r1k with stock wiring indicating:

Yellow/Black - High Beam
White - Low Beam
Black - Earth
Yellow - Side Light

i removed the three prong connector it came with and wired up the standard 4 flat connector from the oem headlamp and spliced the white pilot wire into the other white wire to the 55w bulbs(assuming white was a ground) and matched all other wiring following the kits instructions, i thought i wired accordingly but the headlamps seem to be very dim when on low beam and the indicator high beam light on the dash has a dim blue tint, when i switch the high beam on, the headlamps seem to be a normal low beam but the dash indicator illuminates blue.. im going to experiment with the wiring but if anyone has an idea on what i could be doing wrong, i could use the help before everything goes crispy  Undecided

thanks
 -Jason
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:23:40 PM by oneImonster » Logged
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »

Why did you remove the 3 prong connector it came with? i assume that was a reuglar H4 connector. Your suppose to just plug it into your existing headlights connector. (you need to open up your headlight, disconnect the female end from the headlight and yank it out of your OEM lamp)

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Harps

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »

Hi guys, sorry for bringing up an old thread, but my search led me here so rather than starting a new thread on the same topic...

I bought this LED conversion kit from Revzilla, and it came with a 3-prong plug as the original poster indicated as well...
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speedmetal-led-conversion-kit

When I went to install it, I saw the same "flat" connector on the OEM headlight.  I asked Revzilla as it said the part was compatible for my bike (1999 M750) as long it is H4.  My bike and the headlight conversion I got are both H4.  But I'm looking at square 3-prong on the kit, vs the flat connector on my M750.

Any advice on how to rewire the to attach to the OEM connector, or if there are adapter kits available?

Thanks!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 03:14:38 PM »

Hmm... that kit is a single LED design, isn't it? If so, is it a high beam all the time? Sounds like it from a few of the reviews...  It's also going to be too large for a stock bucket.

There are other options.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 06:50:36 PM »

Pictures would help immensely.

I've never seen an OEM Ducati headlight connector that was flat.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Harps

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 11:04:46 PM »

Pictures would help immensely.

I've never seen an OEM Ducati headlight connector that was flat.

I don’t know how to attach a picture of my headlight....but here’s a link to one on eBay, image 3 of 5 shows the “flat” connector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-DUCATI-MONSTER-750-M600-M750-M900-HEADLIGHT-LAMP-52040061C/143086783655?epid=19027917585&hash=item2150a30ca7%3Ag%3AeBwAAOSwu4dcN87G&fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3AMonster+900%7CMake%3ADucati

Unless I’m missing something, isn’t that what is suppose to connect to the wire harness?  I’m no tech guru and am still newish to working on this bike, so I could be totally out to lunch on this (and I hope I am, making it an easier solution!).  All of my previous experience has been working on Kawasaki/Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha sport bikes and super motos.
Harps

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 11:12:40 PM »

Hmm... that kit is a single LED design, isn't it? If so, is it a high beam all the time? Sounds like it from a few of the reviews...  It's also going to be too large for a stock bucket.

There are other options.

Thanks man, can you point me to any other cost effective options?  I’m in Canada, so no free returns for me and I already paid for shipping once (all in Canadian pesos)...so I’d like to make this work if it can.

I wish I saw that review from the guy who ordered this kit for his 2006 Monster, before I went ahead and ordered mine in the Fall (just getting to this and other winter projects now). I don’t believe it will be too big, but I haven’t gotten that far after discovering the connector issue. 
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 03:15:19 AM »

I don’t know how to attach a picture of my headlight....but here’s a link to one on eBay, image 3 of 5 shows the “flat” connector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-DUCATI-MONSTER-750-M600-M750-M900-HEADLIGHT-LAMP-52040061C/143086783655?epid=19027917585&hash=item2150a30ca7%3Ag%3AeBwAAOSwu4dcN87G&fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3AMonster+900%7CMake%3ADucati

Unless I’m missing something, isn’t that what is suppose to connect to the wire harness?  I’m no tech guru and am still newish to working on this bike, so I could be totally out to lunch on this (and I hope I am, making it an easier solution!).  All of my previous experience has been working on Kawasaki/Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha sport bikes and super motos.
My mistake. I thought you were referring to the connector inside the bucket.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 03:58:46 AM »

My mistake. I thought you were referring to the connector inside the bucket.

The kits use the connection in the bucket. Not the flat one in the picture.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 04:01:34 AM »

Thanks man, can you point me to any other cost effective options?  I’m in Canada, so no free returns for me and I already paid for shipping once (all in Canadian pesos)...so I’d like to make this work if it can.

I wish I saw that review from the guy who ordered this kit for his 2006 Monster, before I went ahead and ordered mine in the Fall (just getting to this and other winter projects now). I don’t believe it will be too big, but I haven’t gotten that far after discovering the connector issue. 

Lesson learned?  Wink

We more or less concluded that the kit Speeddog found is the best solution. Ask him for a link to that thread?

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 04:37:48 AM »

The kits use the connection in the bucket. Not the flat one in the picture.

Now I'm completely confused. Tongue

Is it possible they want you to attach the wires to the harness behind the H/L? It's been so long since I've been back there I don't remember the connector.

perspective

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 07:47:52 AM »

LED headlight thread here:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=69146.15

Regarding the OEM headlight, the flat connector mates to the main wiring harness on the bike.
On the other end of those wires is the 3-prong connector to the H4 bulb.

like so:

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Harps

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »

LED headlight thread here:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=69146.15

Regarding the OEM headlight, the flat connector mates to the main wiring harness on the bike.
On the other end of those wires is the 3-prong connector to the H4 bulb.

like so:

Okay helpful!  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: