Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 07:41:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: those low profile sump screws...  (Read 1209 times)
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« on: October 06, 2021, 06:34:06 AM »

bang head

I have the deep sump Monster, with the troublesome low profile sump screws holding the sump plate on. Supposed to pull the screen and inspect every two oil changes. 9k miles and 14 years and this plate has never been pulled. Partly my fault for not getting to it sooner, and partly the shop's fault for not doing it at the 7500 service. Also my fault for not specifically asking for it at the last service.

How much trouble is it going to be to drill these out? Tried to remove these screws and nope. The heads have turned to cheese. Started to drill one out and quickly aborted. This kind of crap makes me super nervous. The way I see it there are a few ways to proceed: A) grind the heads off, pull the plate, and grab the threaded remains with some vise grips and wiggle till they begin to move and/or Dremel a slot to turn them out with a screwdriver and B) drill them out starting with tiny drill bit and progressing to larger C) get a left handed drill bit and try it that way

So I had to leave it be for the time being and just change the oil. Am I in any serious trouble here? I mean the bike runs strong and has 12.8 bar equal compression in both cylinders. Curious to see what's in the screen though.

If you have a bike with the same engine, how has your sump experience been?

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 09:15:51 PM »

Get the screws out.  Best way to check the health of the engine.

I’ve used a hammer and chisel to get them turning.  If you drill the head(s) off of them, the threads come out easily as they're no longer under tension.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 11:05:01 PM »

Had to do the same to a Multi1200 sump plug. Impact driver just ate it, so cut a dremel slot (very carefully) and hammer chiseled it. Fitted a Ti 12mm hex head plug to my own 1100 Evo and strongly recommend the same for customers.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Heath

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 10:39:04 AM »

First time taking the oem screws out suuucked. Talk about a 3 week oil change because I had to walk away a couple times. Two came out fine, the other two I had to slot. The last one sucked the most. As I took them out I replaced them with SS screws to keep the tension on the plate. That still didn't help on the last one. I think the previous owner put a thread locker on there.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: