Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 11:25:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Monster 796 not starting  (Read 1582 times)
Woodyefc1

« on: October 04, 2021, 01:36:11 PM »

I have a 2013 796 that won’t start. There is a backlight on but no readings on the dash, the oil light is on but no neutral light. The fuel pump primes both on turn of the key and when pressing the starter button but the solenoid just clicks and nothing happens. The battery is good and the fuses are fine, lights, indicators and horn work so I suppose it’s not ecu. I’m absolutely baffled as to what it could be and so is my local mechanic.
If anyone could shed any light on a fix or next steps that would be great!

UPDATE: I have put a new battery on it and still get the same result. This is really baffling me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 04:24:20 AM by Woodyefc1 » Logged
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 01:59:19 PM »

Welcome here  waytogo

Have you actually had the battery load tested? I ask because most "battery is good" statements come from a simple voltage reading - which isn't enough if there are other issues (charging)(bad battery). The symptoms you describe can be caused by a bad battery.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Woodyefc1

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 02:42:59 AM »

I haven’t had it load tested no. I’m going to try a brand new battery today. Let’s hope that works.  I don’t think it is that though because a mechanic bridged the starter solenoid and it turned over.
Woodyefc1

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 04:17:57 AM »

Welcome here  waytogo

Have you actually had the battery load tested? I ask because most "battery is good" statements come from a simple voltage reading - which isn't enough if there are other issues (charging)(bad battery). The symptoms you describe can be caused by a bad battery.

Just put a new battery on it and the same thing happens. No start Sad
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 05:09:50 AM »

Battery was my first thought... but the no display thing has me scratching my head.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Woodyefc1

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 05:11:28 AM »

Battery was my first thought... but the no display thing has me scratching my head.
The immobiliser light flashes and all the surround lights (indicator, oil light etc) come on and go off on the turn of the key but it’s just a back light on the actual display. Really strange
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 05:16:02 AM »

Put the bike in gear (like 4th) and push it forward a few feet to make sure the engine rotates freely.

Side stand switch was troublesome on earlier models.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 05:25:15 AM »

Before doing any other diagnosis the battery needs to be fully charged and load tested.  Diagnosing electrical and electronics with a bad battery is like pissing up a rope.
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 04:48:04 AM »

Side stand switch was troublesome on earlier models.

Actually, that's a good point.  One of the sidestand bolts on my 796 actually vibrated out and was lost.  I set the bike on the stand and got off... it was leaning at almost 45^ !  Thank goodness I had a axle stand...

OP, question:  do you have any aftermarket components hooked up?  Duc-ee, a power commander, etc, etc?

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Woodyefc1

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 04:49:30 AM »

Actually, that's a good point.  One of the sidestand bolts on my 796 actually vibrated out and was lost.  I set the bike on the stand and got off... it was leaning at almost 45^ !  Thank goodness I had a axle stand...

OP, question:  do you have any aftermarket components hooked up?  Duc-ee, a power commander, etc, etc?

No I don’t have anything after market on it. Only had an optimate but I took that off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: