Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:23:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worlds oldest question - S2R tank interchangeability  (Read 1507 times)
hillbillypolack

« on: September 17, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »

This is a make or break 'detail' on my S2R.  I've had it with the heavy, ballooning OEM tank.  Though I won't get into the deep disappointment I have with the way Ducati handled things, I do need some advice specifically for my bike and what would be possible.  Otherwise, it's parting it out and on to another bike.

I have a 2007 S2R 1000, which feels like the stepchild of that model year.  What I'd like to do is somewhat upgrade the tank (turning lemons into lemonade) and get a metal tank.  So, a few options are, 1) get something from another bike that fits, or 2) have a tank made.

The S2R 1000 currently has the K&N airbox conversion - I could go pods. which would tidy things up.

The direct question is - would an S4R tank from the same year work?  Yes, the undersides of the tank are different, as the S4R has taller Testa heads.  I am unsure about the rear clearances just in front of the seat hinge etc.,

Or. . . MotoWheels has a number of aluminum tanks made by Beater.  They only offer an S4R tank presently, which is a fair amount of money.  I had contacted Beater - they would do an S2R tank, but at an additional 1k-1400, using an OEM tank as reference.  Effectively, it sounds like it would be a bespoke tank.  If an S4R tank would work, I could target that as something in early 2022.

The bike currently has Termi slip ons, Spark hearers, ECU swap, Oberon slave.  Also in the plan would be Ohlins 511 conversion (have them already) and brake upgrades.

So, I'm weighing options, cost, time available to dip in a commit, or part ways with the bike.  I know a Beater tank won't be cheap, but I love the last of the truly air cooled Monsters, call me a masochist.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 09:42:45 AM »

Beater

Carbon

S4R

All are great options  drool

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »

Beater

Carbon

S4R

Agreed. You'll need to source a pump/screen assy, and an external pressure regulator, for anything that doesn't have an S2R style flange mounted pump.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

hillbillypolack

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 06:54:59 PM »

Beater

Carbon

S4R

Agreed. You'll need to source a pump/screen assy, and an external pressure regulator, for anything that doesn't have an S2R style flange mounted pump.

Just so I’m clear, a custom S4R tank will work, and fit to the S2R 1000. Since the S4R has a different (oval) fuel pump design, I would need that instead of the round S2R. (That part is pretty straightforward). It was the clearance on the bottom of the tank I was most nervous about.

Specifically, I’m referencing the Beater tanks. If I do order an S4R tank, and fit the oval fuel pump, it ought to work?  I’m also assuming the connection from the oval pump would be able to connect to the electrical system.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 01:14:33 AM »

It's a little too much 'assuming' for me - if it was me spending that kind of money. I think Stu Portu Guy knows/used to know. Probably others too.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 02:21:13 AM »

You can use a Testastretta tank on a 2V, or Desmoquattro, just not the other way.

Just for clarification, you're referring to an S4RS tank. The S4R was a desmoquattro engine and I don't believe had a special tank. It may have had a different bottom. That model used a steel tank.

One other item that is different between steel, and plastic tanks, is the hinge that mounts on the frame. Maybe the hinge pin, as well.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 04:12:03 AM »

2002-2005 (early) 2V tank will swap and it’s steel.  Mounting pivot flange changes as DP indicates.  90% sure the pin is the same.

2001-2006 4V tank (DesmoQuattro) will swap.  Same notes from above.  They never bothered a plastic tank for these bikes.

You’ll need the internal pump and associated hardware.  The pins in the connector stayed the same, but how the wiring goes through into the tank differs.  Spend the $ & get the aluminum nut.  OE plastic nut is for sh*t.

Use high pressure SUBMERSIBLE fuel hose inside the tank.  Otherwise, you’ll get stranded.

The flange to mount the filler cap and new vent hoses are also required.  You’ll be able to use your original keyed filler cap as they do interchange.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: