Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 02:16:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M696 seat won't unlock  (Read 1795 times)
Sean_696

« on: August 16, 2021, 05:08:34 PM »

Howdy all, I am needing to remove a side panel on my '13 M696 and so I have to remove the seat but even though I can hear the mechanism move when I turn the key the seat is not unlocking.

Has anyone got any easy tips how to get around this??? Sooo annoying!
Thanks in advance.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 12:56:00 AM »

If you didn't: try pushing down and/or wiggle the seat as you turn the key several times.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 04:42:56 AM »

My '13 796 has a real odd seat lockdown... you do have to push it down with the key turned and wiggle-wiggle it to get it to release.  If it's really being stubborn, it helps to have 2 people... one to turn and hold the key, and another to jockey the seat.  Make sure you have the key turned all the way over... which can be difficult with the cans in the way.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 09:31:54 AM »

Howdy all, I am needing to remove a side panel on my '13 M696 and so I have to remove the seat but even though I can hear the mechanism move when I turn the key the seat is not unlocking.

Has anyone got any easy tips how to get around this??? Sooo annoying!
Thanks in advance.
G'Day...  Yes, the seat locking mechanism can move over time causing it not to release the seat locking pin.  You'll need to adjust the lock mechanism positon.  Which does mean that you will have to get the seat off first.   If there's no way you can get the seat to release you can get the lock mechanism cable by loosening the underseat panel (slight PITA) and then you can get your fingers in behind it and pull on the lock cable by hand to release the seat....  Although I'd try every kind of gentle wriggling and pulling whilst you have the key turned first to try to get the seat off without having to do this..

Loosen these 4 allen bolts..

Once you have the seat off it's easy from there.  You just need to adjust the position of the seat locking mechanism.  I suggest you back off the locking mechanism bolts slightly, just so the mechanism can move in its mounting slots but not so much that it's very loose.... Then slam the seat back on.  This will align the seat mechanism to the position the seat pin likes best.  Then gently and carefully unlock and remove the seat once more and without moving the locking mechanism, tighten the 2 bolts to retain it at it's optimum position.

Back off these 2 bolts slightly as described above..

Job done  waytogo

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Sean_696

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 04:23:03 AM »

Thanks ungeheuer et al. Yes I ended up trying to access the lock from underneath and it turned out that the cable had come out of the little socket.
Once I was able to release the seat I had access to the mechanism and fixed it all back into place and re-tested the lock a few times and its working lovely now.

ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 10:44:16 AM »

Thanks for coming back with an update  waytogo   Glad you got it sorted.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: