Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 01:34:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster will not start, UNLESS ....  (Read 2673 times)
lanciahf

« on: July 16, 2021, 04:28:03 PM »

I push it out of the garage and let it sit in the sun for an hour then she fires right up.  What gives?

Someone suggested a crank sensor.  Okay I thought so I put a heat gun to the sensor and no change.

Once started the bike runs fine and restarts instantly when hot.

The bike is a 2003 monster 1000, with 3700 miles

I've tried jiggling the wires, kicking the kick stand, praying etc and the only trick that works is the sun trick.

Last Sunday, in the morning around 8:00AM , I had a car club breakfast to go to and I wanted to bring the bike.

I tried to start the bike and no dice, just cranks. Wednesday it finally stopped raining and I wanted to take the bike to work.  I tried to start the bike and just cranks.

Today I push the bike outside, leave it there in the hot sun for over an hour and it started right up.

PS. My garage is nice and dry.

Any help I would greatly appreciate it.  Anyone have a trouble shooting manual/guide?

Thanks,

Ralph

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 04:45:59 PM »

Any dash codes pop up?

How long has this been happening?

2015 Scrambler 800
RB

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 04:52:24 PM »

Check the start and fuel pump relays under the tank, on the side of the battery holder I think. If you haven’t replaced them might be a good time, they are cheap. My 2006 has 40k miles and they just stopped working one day while riding. One was corroded bad and the other was going to die soon also. I’m not saying this could be you, but it’s cheap and you can determine it isn’t that. Really I’d replace them due to age, they aren’t water tight so humidity can still get in.
I would have asked if the fuel pump runs when you crank it.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 05:07:44 PM »

So a sensor warms up that otherwise won't work when cold? Be interesting to see what others suggest about which sensor is most likely to behave this way.

Also worth flicking the dash to voltage and comparing battery voltage drop during the cold verses warm cranking.

2015 Scrambler 800
lanciahf

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 05:11:16 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions

No Dash Code Lights, just the normal startup sequence
This problem started in January.

When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump prime.  I assume its pumping while cranking.  As it runs when it does start.

I guess no official troubleshooting guide from the factory?

RB

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 05:21:11 PM »

If it cranks and won’t start, check for spark. If you have spark, next would be checking for fuel by taking off the air cleaner and watching the inside throttle body for spray. You’ll have to keep the throttle wide open to see while cranking. The engine could start so be ready to shut it down quick or just pull the plug wires before hand.
If all that stuff is present, next is check wiring. When you park the bike in the sun and it starts, is it always the same side facing the sun? Might be a good are to start.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 10:40:18 PM »

Hang a picture of the sun in the garage?

Cheesy

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 03:42:00 AM »

Temperature related.  Probably either the way you are using the fast idle lever, fuel mixture setting or one of the temperature sensors.  Randomly replacing parts will be expensive, frustrating, time consuming and might not get the bike fixed.  Best to get the bike to a shop with the appropriate scan tool.
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 05:11:37 AM »

How old is your battery?

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 05:44:25 AM »

How old is your battery?

Yep, get that battery load tested.  The DS1000 engines need a really good battery.  A battery can be strong enough to crank the engine but voltage drop will be enough to prevent the computer from functioning. 
lanciahf

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 08:09:55 AM »

I use the fast idle lever only after the motor is running to hold a fast idle when cold. During cranking I do not used it. I tried once, all it does is change the induction noise while cranking.  Sounds like it is flooding out.

Anyway I agree about bringing it a shop. Unfortunately the closest Ducati dealer is an hour away.  Really not in the mood to drive on nasty NJ highways.  Anyway thanks for the thoughts.  I was hoping there was a troubleshooting guide somewhere.  Or how and which sensors to test.

Battery is from, last August, 2020.  Not sure how parking it in the sun would effect the battery?  I guess I could get it load tested. The temperature is 95 outside and 85 in the garage.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2021, 11:27:59 AM »

Load test the battery at a shop equipped to do so as suggested. Is there a Battery World type of store or auto electrical workshop nearby?

My thoughts were around the behaviour of the battery and any potential voltage drop during a crisp early morning vs hot mid morning. If the dash doesn't have a voltage reading function to scroll to, you can use a volt meter on the battery. Cranking the bike and watching the voltage drop is a basic diy load test.
The fast idle lever isn't a choke, just holds the throttle for you. It's pretty handy and aids a first cold start.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 11:31:06 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2021, 07:50:10 PM »

Not the battery, but the sun warming the engine and fuel making the bike a little easier to start.  Fast idle lever made a difference on my 04 1000.  Slightly open in warm but not hot weather.  I would try using whatever opening gives you proper running after start up.  It will differ from bike to bike depending on mods.  I don't know where you are in New Jersey, but across the river  https://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com  is a really good shop.  Don't want to ride there?  They will pick up and deliver if you are willing to pay.
lanciahf

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 05:26:02 AM »

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I can trace my problem to a faulty Kill switch. It was starting all week and then one day the bike would just crank. I cycled the kill switch back and forth and then it started to fire.  I have since stopped using the kill switch and so far so good.  Could it be this simple?

Thanks
RB

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 07:01:35 AM »

Yes it could be that simple. A loose connection can be u predictable. Take the switch apart and examine it, you may just need to bend a contact or replace the switch.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: