Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:37:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other E10 damages?  (Read 2862 times)
greenmonster

« on: July 10, 2021, 08:11:46 AM »

So, E10 is introduced also in Sweden this August.
You in the US who has long experience of this fuel, any other
damages besides tanks swelling, fuel lines, gaskets etc?
As MTS gen 1 owner, l really look forward to this... Angry Cry boo

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
RB

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 09:43:57 AM »

My bike has 42k (2006) and has always been run on e10-e15 and the only thing I’ve experienced is the plastic fuel tank swelling. I’ve heard keeping the tank full when stored helps keep it from swelling.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 09:49:03 AM »

Whatever you do, use fuel stabilizer.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 05:03:59 AM »

+1

Ethanol blended fuel, if not stabilized, can... if left over time... separate molecularly, called 'phase separation,' where the alcohol part separates from the gas.  This is also a problem not only for fuel in a vehicle tank, but storage tanks as well.  Your best bet is to buy fuel at high volume stations that turn their fuel over quickly.

One other byproduct of ethanol-blended fuel is the alcohol's trend to absorb moisture; this creates a very corrosive mixture.  It's another reason to avoid old gas stations... stations that have low turnover, or poorly maintained tanks.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »

Sorry to hear that Gert.
All very true and good advice. We only have E10 and E85 as optional fuels clearly marked at the bowser, so not mandated and I hope it stays that way.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 03:04:14 PM »

My bike has 42k (2006) and has always been run on e10-e15 and the only thing I’ve experienced is the plastic fuel tank swelling. I’ve heard keeping the tank full when stored helps keep it from swelling.

Hmm... didn't we land on; metal tank full & plastic empty?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
greenmonster

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 03:58:39 AM »

During winter storage or also through riding season?

Thinking emptying tank during winter and blowdry.
E5 caused abit swelling already...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 01:40:45 PM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 04:41:58 AM »

Personally, I run stabilizer year 'round... and I don't even run ethanol-blended fuel.  If you are on a ride, and you are going through some gas, I wouldn't worry about it, but if the tank of gas is going to set more than a week... stabilize.

Remember... stabilizer isn't going to stop the tank swelling, that is a byproduct of the ethanol itself, the stabilizer is going to keep the fuel from deteriorating and making a bigger mess.

When I got my 796, it had sat in a garage for about a year with a tank of gas.... the tank had certainly swelled.  I've been running non-eth fuel for about 4 years and the tank has returned to it's normal size, more or less.  If I was to store my motorcycle without the benefit of non-eth fuel more than a month, I'd drain it.  I know that's a pain in the rear, but so it trying to replace your tank.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 04:47:13 AM by Charlie98 » Logged

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
d3vi@nt

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 08:19:03 PM »

I've never bothered with stabilizer in any motos or autos and don't feel they've suffered any ill effects. Both motos are at 40k miles and beater car at 120k miles. Motos typically sit from Nov-March or later and beater car sits for sometimes weeks at a time, with usually short trips, so months to burn a full tank.

If someone could point me to a legitimate source, I might be convinced that most fuel stabilizers are anything but snake oil.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 10:15:05 PM »

I can only speak for our fuel down under. I get regular work cleaning carbs off bikes that sit for months without fuel stabilizer.
The fuel can congeal around the float valves either gluing them shut or keeping the needle from seating. Each Spring I have to clean out pilot jets waxed comlpetely closed from bikes sitting over winter. The result is fuel starvation  or excessive flooding. Sometimes I find a blue/green algae like substance in float bowls. Recently I serviced a dirt bike FCR carb stained blue/green even after sonically cleanjng it. The carb had blocked jets and gel like residue in the float bowl. Fuel stabilizers like Stabil or Motul stop this.  I have seen the results on customers bikes. Australia has among the lowest standard of fuel in OECD countries so maybe your state has high fuel standards.
Many mower shops sell Stabil for similar reasons, since mowers can sit around. A Briggs and Stratton tech said mower shops get a bulletin to advise customers to use a fuel stabilizer.

An explanation is that the additive package that cleans injectors at 45 psi can clag carbs at gravity - 3psi.  A Shell tech explakned this to me when i complained to their hotline. Also modern fuels here deteriorate quickly. A tell tale sign is that the fuel smells like decking varnish! I have found that efi bikes fare better and this is my experience comparing my old and new Monsters and those bikes of customers. Fuel can start waxing up in a few months here, but Stabil makes it last closer to a year.

I hear reports of Ethanol fuel causing a whole range of issues
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 11:11:20 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 02:45:47 AM »

I'm only going by personal experience. I've had small engines that sat without stabilizer not start when I needed them. It usually requires carbs to come off and have the watery sludge removed from the bowl. I also run most bowls out of fuel if the engine has a fuel shut off. Small quantities of fuel seem to suffer more than a whole tank full.

Stabilizer is easy to use, especially in small engines, and you only need 1/2 oz per 5 gallons. If it's snake oil...it good stuff. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 04:11:52 AM »

I've used Star Tron for years, in everything other than my daily driver. 1oz:5 gallons is a small price to insure that everything from the lawn mower, chainsaw etc.... on up to my Monster don't suffer from E10 or stale gas.

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
greenmonster

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 08:04:26 AM »

Anyone else tried the ducatiz
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=43639.15
method?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 10:33:18 AM »

Every step was followed down to the smallest detail. As far as I can see the coating is without damage and the tank is in it's original shape and size. Seven years after. Lostly E5 and maybe 30% E0

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
d3vi@nt

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 11:59:10 AM »

Sounds like carbureted engines are more prone to issues than FI possibly?  I'm assuming due to floats, bowls, needles, etc.

I'm sure environment plays a significant role, as well; damper and/or colder climates, outdoor storage, etc.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: