Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 02:20:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Injection upgrade: Uneven idling / running s2r1k  (Read 2946 times)
Alexaskmo

« on: June 26, 2021, 09:26:59 PM »

Hi all!

So, I’m pretty sure I have to remap my bike. I have a s2r1k with full termi exhaust, K&N pod filters, DP ecu. Since purchasing 2 years ago it’s been running and idling uneven at various ambient and oil temps.

I figure a remap is in order. Before I do however I am thinking of upgrading ignition coils and fuel injectors. Do you have any recommendations?

Best,
Alex
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 10:00:54 PM »

Before doing anything else make sure all your basic settings are good.  TPS, throttle synch, cam belt tension, valve clearance etc are correct.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 04:00:18 AM »

So running a bit uneven since pods and full system fitted?
Do the baseline stuff as Howie said then think about a remap, preferably via a dyno tune for those mods.

2015 Scrambler 800
Alexaskmo

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 04:12:45 AM »

Hey, sorry I was a bit unclear. I bought it used 2 years ago and it’s never ran evenly and according to service history everything was done before taking it over… but I should have done it myself of course. I am planning on checking all the basics but figure if there is a good upgrade for injectors and coils I might as well go for it Smiley

/Alex
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 04:18:43 AM »

The impact of pod filters on the intake tuning is considerable and does require remapping. A full system will also have an impact compared to slip ons. It's great you have the DP ECU but some form of remapping for those mods, either via PCV or Rexxer tuning is required, and best on a dyno.

2015 Scrambler 800
Alexaskmo

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 04:34:08 AM »

Thanks koko64 Smiley

I will definitely dyno the bike after checking valve clearances and belt timing. What I’m looking for now is before remapping which costs a bit, I want to give my bike all the goodies it might need. So I’m looking for both better injectors and coils, if anyone here can recommend good ones Smiley

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 04:47:57 AM »

Dynatek and Nology make good coils. Your injectors could be sonically cleaned. I left mine stock and put my money into intake tuning, dyno tuning and suspension.

2015 Scrambler 800
Alexaskmo

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 06:51:37 AM »

Thanks for the tip!

I have a ultrasonic cleaner where I clean carbs usually Smiley

Do you have a recommendation for a injector upgrade? Don’t know what specs to look for Smiley

/Alex
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 09:08:58 AM »

California Cycleworks.

, but basics first  waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Alexaskmo

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »

I just looked them up but couldn’t find coils for the s2r1000. Did email them though Smiley

Thanks! And absolutely basics first, always Smiley
Orange16

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 06:03:11 AM »

Are you working on the assumption that the OEM Ducati fitted coils and injectors are junk and there must be something better, or is there something wrong with them?

Liam at Fast Bike Gear in NZ has some Nology dual output coils that he thinks are much better than the Ducati fitment coils, and his are two separate coils in one skin, as opposed to the OEM style +/- single circuit style coil.  He's pretty good with ignition.

http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3712&products_id=12306

Does your bike have brown band or white band Marelli Pico injectors?  The only real upspec of any use injector wise is more holes, but I think they're both 4 hole.  So probably nothing of benefit there.

If you just want to throw more fuel at it you can put a 3.5bar fuel pressure reg in it.  Old school basic level approach, but it sounds like the extra 8% will be welcomed.  Without or with pipe, not that it should make any practical difference.

https://ca-cycleworks.com/fpr35h.html
https://ca-cycleworks.com/fpr35k.html

Assuming the previous owner did anything right is the first mistake you can make.  Sounds like it's been done badly, or more likely just not done at all.  Basic set up as above is the first step.  Download IAWdiag from the Guzzidiag site and buy the cable from Lonelec.

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike-OBD-Diagnostic-Cables/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-Ducatidiag-Hardware/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-3pin-Interface-Cable

The 2V ECU of this age often have very little ignition advance at idle, and increasing that can make a real difference to how they idle and how well they can follow the target RPM as specified in the file.  Go too far and it'll have trouble controlling the idle speed, but it's worth getting into.  Requires ECU flashing and someone who knows what they're doing.
Alexaskmo

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »

Thanks orange!

I’ve been in contact with Liam already, and great info there. I’m trying to understand as much as I can before modifying the electronics on the Ducati. I have a BMW r100 and that was a breeze to upgrade, so there are upgrade kits for everything. For the Ducati you kinda need to figure out every piece on its own and how they all work in unison. Not an easy task for a newb like me Smiley

Appreciate the links and lengthy answer, definitely helps a lot!!!

Best,
Alex
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »

I forgot about our Kiwi neighbours ignition guide paper. Worth every cent. The point about two double coils (4 coils) Vs two coils with dual outlet is a good one. I think that is a concrete, dollar value upgrade for the DS motors. Edit: I am working on the assumption that the oem coils are cheaper single coils with twin outlets and not units with two integral secondary coils. Howie might be able to confirm this.
What I keep coming back to is no matter the performance hardware modifications, in the end its all in the quality of the tune to support those upgrades. Even the best performance parts can get a bad rep due to a bad tune.

As you've found, Ducati jealously protects it's ECU security adding great expense and effort to performance tuning. Given the variation in injector flow rates; batch to batch, bike to bike and cylinder to cylinder, a dyno tune by whatever means is the best way .
Really looking forward to watching the job progress.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:29:46 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Orange16

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 01:50:38 AM »

The 5AM ECU in the S2R1000 is easy to access.  The Lonelec cable, Guzzidiag reading and writing software and TunerPro to edit.

There's lots of threads on Ducati.MS about reflashing and editing files.
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 12:04:31 PM »

I use these guys for injector cleaning https://www.mrinjector.us/ for the land speed bike. It's cheap, he replaces all the rubber bits, and he flows them before and after and sends you a nice one-page report.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: