Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:05:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11... years... later...  (Read 2549 times)
Ahks
Modest with his

« on: May 20, 2021, 02:07:35 PM »

It's pretty amazing how life can both kick you in the teeth and make it a fun ride at the same time Smiley

Jeeze that xj was a p.o.s. Since it left me I've had
an '87 Sportster 883 (hello torque... [2 seconds of throttle later] where'd the power go?),
an '04? CBR600f4i (easily the best quality bike I've owned to date, but sadly zero character and just couldn't stay in love with it),
a '76 XL250 (just sits there asking for new tires and to be registered so I can use it to get groceries),
and finally, the bastard I've had for ages. A 1998 Triumph Daytona T595. It's been stripped, rebuilt, assaulted by an adhd dude with no real skills (little secret... thats me cheeky ), modded 6 ways from Sunday, then abandoned in the garage. Abandoned because for some reason, when I finished tuning the suspension, figured out which map was the right one for my mods and it was running ok, I just hated it. I spent years trying to turn it into the Monster I've always wanted. So now I'm restoring it the best I can so it can maybe find a new home.

And present day, after drooling over the S2R1000 since about 2006 I'm finally picking up my new to me '10 M1100 on Saturday. The last or nearly the last Monster that has some of the Monster spirit that made me lust after motorcycles 16 years ago. The only mod is a tail tidy. 3800 miles. And a cracked tank plastic where the 1 owner before me dropped something on it his garage.

So I'm here again. But it looks like many are not anymore. It's sad that Facebook is such a monster leeching the traffic from all my old forums.

This long winded bullshit is how I talk in life too... so I try really hard to not get offended when I'm told to stfu Wink

Original greeting below for... giggles. Apparently I first said Hi on Star Wars day 2010. May the 4th... be with you  Dolph

Name: Mike
Bike(s): '94 Yamaha XJ600 (deceased, parting out)
How long you've been riding: 5ish years off and on

Don't own a Duc yet. Fairly certain I will come Winter/Spring '11. Been a HUGE fan of the Monster since I first looked at em as a potential first bike years ago. At the time I didn't know anything about maintaining a bike but knew I couldn't let someone else touch my vehicle Smiley Now that I've got a few years of riding and motorcycle related mechanical knowledge under my belt I'm fairly confident that I can treat a Monster the way it needs to be treated Wink

So I've started to doing some research on my future purchase, found this place... as well as what you guys refer to as "that other place" or "the other side" and have been reading LOTS on modifying Monsters. Can't seem to find much on general maintenance and repair tho. I've heard and read about some of the Ducati specific special tools but havn't seen much from the DIYers out there as to how much can be done without them.

So,
HI!

and
Can I hear from some of the DIY guys regarding typical repair of these machines? Would like to know what sort of costs are associated with ownership aside from the financing and the factory req'd check ups.

Mike
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 02:29:00 PM »

Welcome again  waytogo

Great mod'able bike

FB hurts forums, but kills itself. More or less.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 03:34:26 PM »

Great model.
The knowledge is here. FB is about 90% opinion and 10% knowledge.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Blackout

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 03:36:20 PM »

Yeah you talk too much. 🙄.
Welcome back though.
And congrats on the new Monster.

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
Pages: [1]   Go Up