Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 04:39:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to stiffen suspension on Monster 796  (Read 1484 times)
kanzie

« on: April 25, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »

Hi!

I've had my Monster 796 (2013) for a few years now and though I enjoy riding it a lot, I've never felt comfortable with the handling on the road. I feels skittish in turns and at lower speeds it feels like the front wheel might cave in on me if I turn the bar ever so much. I don't have a ton of riding experience on other bikes but a few and I've never felt this on any other bike.

I know that the previous owner was a lot lighter than me and that led me down the road of maybe it is a bit softened for her. I can rock the tail with my right arm standing next to the bike though it takes a bit effort. FWIW I'm 180cm and 75kg (5"10, 165lbs).

My suspicion is I can tighten and loosen the suspension by turning something on the yellow big spring between the exhaust pipes under the seat but I need some advice as how I should go about it?

Any other ideas on the steering issue described are most welcomed.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 02:18:03 PM »

I suggest taking it to a competent dealer with a good reputation OR a suspension expert. The goal being to bring the bike as close as possible to stock = height front and back + some shock adjustment. Then ride.

Still not good?

Instead of the extra rubbish Ducati progressive springs.... change to linear. Then ride.

Still not good?

Report back with a valid credit rating and let's go crazy.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Buhgaboo

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 03:03:58 PM »

Get a friend to hold a tape measure at the axel nut and any place straight up from that point in the seat area with you off the bike...now do it again with you on the bike....adjust the rear shock so those numbers equate to ~35-40mm.... that's what's refered to your sag numbers and the those numbers are on the soft side...this is too match your soft front...you can't have one stiff and not the other....start there...the next thing to do is drain and clean the front forks and put in fresh fluid...7.5wt....after the fluid is renewed try a 30-35mm setting
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 04:52:52 PM »

First you need to establish where the bike is now.

Was the back lowered?  How?  Stock spring?
    Was the front lowered?  How?  Stock spring?
    Condition of components?

You will need to compare to stock ride height.  If needed, do whatever you need to get it there.  Then measure sag.  Then you can start turning the something on the yellow spring.

I suggest taking it to a competent dealer with a good reputation OR a suspension expert. The goal being to bring the bike as close as possible to stock = height front and back + some shock adjustment. Then ride.
is really good advice.

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:24:06 PM »

What's interesting... I'm 6'2" and basically 200# ride weight, and the basic stock settings on my '13 796, after setting sag, were really, really good.  It was one of the better balanced stock component matches I've ever had.

I did buy a Ohlins 737 replacement rear shock... and it screwed everything up, but I know that's because I haven't taken the time to set the newer rear shock up properly.  It really helps to have 2 people to set rear sag, but there is very little outside of changing the front fork oil you can do up front on the 796, unless you throw money at it.  A visit to the dealer or other good bike shop is also good advise... someone should be able to work with you, the rider, and have the proper tools and knowledge to set the rear in a jiffy.

Also... question for you:  what kind of tires are you running, how old are they, and what pressures do you run them at?  New tires, proper tires, inflated to proper pressure will help with handling, too.... or, conversely, old (hard) tires, or over/under inflated tires make it handle like a pig.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:26:05 PM by Charlie98 » Logged

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: