Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 12:14:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The philosophical, why we are artful Moto riders and Mechanics  (Read 2103 times)
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« on: April 24, 2021, 09:38:43 PM »

The philosophical why we love the Zen of Moto Mechanics;

The title of Zen and the Art is why i picked up that book originally; but was disappointed that it focused much on a troubled relationship more than moto mechanics, an interesting read but not what I was hoping for. I appreciate the tech Q&A on DMF, thanks for all the answers bow down and entertainment.  chug

Question is why do we love moto's and the tinkering of mechanics?

I put the trickle charger back on the pigtail again today; blew some dust off the bike, considering what to do to get the perfect cafe ride; and when this event would happen. In fact the ride already started with plugging in of the trickle charger; "cei"? the moto bike is honest mechanical connection to physics of moto, road and rider ... what you see is a pure expression of the mechanical workings in unison that to  give the rider the control and thrill of that pure connection to have the best ride.

Dolph

.... all the world is yours.
Buhgaboo

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 10:27:48 PM »

My zen moto philosophy has become : I fix things so that they will break in a manner of which I can understand...lol
greenmonster

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 04:40:13 AM »

It´s quality time.
Anything creative makes your life better.
Just adding a little plate or switching a pair of screws to make something
work just a little better is a good day in the shed.
And knowing that everything works, has the right torque etc is good for
your soul and very satisfying. Dolph

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 10:02:06 AM »

Pirsig says it right up front: "What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its
essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen
Buddhist practice. It’s not very factual on motorcycles, either." Love that book.

Me, I started working on machines because I'm a cheapskate. I'm still a cheap bastard, but now it's as much for the pleasure of the puzzle, and the satisfaction of hitting the starter and realizing I put  all the pieces of that puzzle in the correct places. Or the learning that happens when I get it wrong.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Blackout

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »

I just know that when my brain is engaged my problems disappear. Another reason why I love motorcycles

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 05:53:38 PM »

All valid points. chug

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 06:50:45 AM »

All valid points. chug

Plus I get bored easily.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 09:00:02 PM »

Plus I get bored easily.

lol. and.... an idle mind is the devil's workshop ....lol

... perhaps what Im trying to get at, as the dudes above have identified in various ways; its like this... the more mechanical work one does on a bike, the more we understand the bike and feel connected to it, this connection gives one a better feel for a problem arising or what needs adjusting; thinking, researching, doing, riding ... that's the art of moto café mechanics, tinkering and tuning.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 07:59:45 AM by DuciD03 » Logged

.... all the world is yours.
convict

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 06:15:28 AM »

i usually reference the book when folks get on my case about not working on my own bikes
i am the bmw rider guy. well i was until my mechanic called it quits

something horriblely wrong about shitting on folks who dont work on their own bikes
i am not a surgeon - i dint do my own bi-pass

that was really the only was the only thing i took from the book. otherwise just some story about a crazy dude.
want to read a good motorcycle book
Keith Code or David L. Hough . four great books about staying alive
Code has a great section about fear which i am still trying to overcome having had a rather spetacular low side
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: