Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:17:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schuberth C4 PRO flip-up helmet  (Read 2947 times)
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« on: April 23, 2021, 02:09:43 PM »

You may or may not know about the debacle that was the Schuberth C4.  If you know, then you know.  If you wanna know, Google will be happy to assist.

I know about the C4 and was pleased to read all about the new C4 PRO (not to be confused with the original C4).  Although I've never owned one before, since turning 60 I fit the demographic for a flip-up - aka modular - lid  Grin.

So I was pretty stoked to snap up a Schuberth C4 PRO at a bargain price (a red/white version of apparently unloved graphics or "colorway" as the cool cats like to say).  All the reports wax lyrical about all the previous issues having been fixed; this is a far better helmet than non-PRO (and non-Basic).  Well, here's my 2 cents worth:

The original C4 must have been a bucket.  Yes, my new C4 PRO is nicely made.  Has nice interior.  Is generally well finished.  It fits me well - YMMV - and I find it very comfortable.  But all of the raving about how quiet it is....??

Bullcrap.  It's noisier than my 10 year old Arai XD3.  The top vent, when closed, whistles like....um... a whistle.  When open it certainly vents, can't complain about the rushing gale that .... also .... comes a-whistling in.  The chin vent is utterly useless as a vent but is quite handy as a secondary whistle if duets are your thing.  It's how I could tell it was open - no discernible air flow, but some extra whistle.  At least the chin vent goes silent when closed.

The visor is good.  Comes with proper pinlock already installed.  The internal drop-down sun-visor is a new feature for me, works well on the C4 PRO.

So after decades of Arai and nothing but Arai I made a change.  Happy?  Meh...  it's an OK helmet for what I paid, but I'd be pissed beyond pissed if I'd paid the full retail ask.

Oh and if you're tempted by the slick integration of the Sena-made C1 intercom (I was).... save your pennies.  It's pretty ordinary at best.  Very difficult to operate, fiddly little buttons.  All the reviews say that it's very difficult to operate and has fiddly little buttons, but I figured that I'm more dexterous than everybody else and so bought one anyway.

I am not more dexterous than anybody else.  It's a total PITA to use, doesn't sound that great and offers nothing I'd use over my ancient and much more user-friendly Sena SMH10.

So all in all.... I find the Schuberth C4 PRO a mixed bag of some good and some downright disappointing.

If there's a next helmet in my future.... it'll be an Arai.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 04:24:41 PM »

Although I've never owned one before, since turning 60 I fit the demographic for a flip-up - aka modular - lid  Grin.

Oh shit - I didn't prepare for that. Three weeks for me.  Vino!

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 04:28:47 PM »

Oh shit - I didn't prepare for that. Three weeks for me.  Vino!
You'll need warm socks for your old age  Grin

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 04:38:54 PM »

laughingdp

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »

A mate found the same. Noisy. Very disappointed.
Happy birthday for whenever chug Smiley

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 07:54:14 PM »

Years ago I had a Schuberth C I do not remember the number.  It didn't take long before it became a planter.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 10:36:08 AM »

OK, so a bit of an update on the whistling top vent.   

I fixed it.  Removed to top vent cover - the user manual has instructions as to how, which is just as well coz you'd swear you were about to break something.  Where was I?  Yes.... Removed the top vent cover and added 2 small pieces of 4mm light weight foam rubber (the porous kind, came as packing material in something or other) held in place with very thin double sided tape to the underside of the vent cover so as not to obstruct the open/shut mechanism.  Refit the cover. 

No more whistle.  No whistle when it's closed and no whistle when it's open.  The air flow is a little more tame than before, but still adequate.   Took me all of five minutes to carry out this complex modification. 

Why couldn't Schuberth have built it this way from the get go?? 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: