Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 06:04:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati Exhaust Question  (Read 5005 times)
diamonddog-2

« on: April 12, 2021, 11:25:18 AM »

So I changed my tune on an exhaust I had thought I wanted [needed!?] and found a nearly perfect set of c.f. Arrow cans off of a 2001 M900S that fit my budget. Anyways, whilst looking around the web I saw a few exhaust systems [full stainless] and partial with carbon fiber cans. They were sold as Ducati Performance manufactured.  I could find no logo markings for origin from the photos I saw. Nice looking hardware for sure but waaay too expensive for me.
Did Ducati make 'em or did they rebrand someone else's?
When I got my 900s a few years ago the exhaust cans that were on the bike had no markings or logo on them and I just figured they were some aftermarkets that a previous owner had thrown on at some point. Most OEM stuff I've seen have been clearly marked "Ducati"
Just curious. Thanks!

2001 M900S   2002 Aero 1100   2012 1100 EVO

"Son, I hope God gave you a big d*ck 'cause he sure shorted you on brains"
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »

Totally logical, systematical, traceable as always with Ducati?  laughingdp

The early years even more not so  bang head

Sorry that I can't help  Cool

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 12:45:44 PM »

They were either Termi or Remus in that era.  Early on they also used a company called Gia Co Moto.  There may be others. 
diamonddog-2

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:21:36 AM »

"snicker"   Grin   as always, thank you.

Orange16

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 02:31:14 AM »

Gio.Ca.Moto was a company run by Giorgio Casolari.  Ducati bought him out in 1998 as I recall, and renamed it Ducati Performance.  If you bought a new Ducati prior to that you were often given a Gio.Ca.Moto catalogue for the model.  They made lots of exhaust systems, all with a very distinct muffler style and header pipes with lots of springs.  AFAIK most Ducati importers distributed them.  I really don't know how many they actually sold, as I bought a few left overs cheap over the years.  But it was an impressive catalogue.  I recall fitting full 50mm systems to 996, and there was a full 45mm system (same as std!) for the 748.

This is the typical look - https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3853271798_1b178a0bac_o.jpg

I have seen Gio.Ca.Moto mufflers for 851/900SS that look like bevel Conti that are also stamped Conti, but I've never seen any other branding on any of the Gio.Ca.Moto mufflers.

After DP came into being, most of those were dropped and the only Gio.Ca.Moto look mufflers that continued were the ST series, as neither Termignoni and Remus, who supplied the other DP mufflers, ever made any ST series mufflers.  No idea who actually made them, and they did vary slightly over time.  We could order an individual muffler for a crash repair, for instance, and if you ordered a Termignoni or Remus what you got was the same as what you had.  No the ST series mufflers though, they'd generally be slightly different to what the customer had purchased previously, enough to be obvious and cause issue.

After he sold Gio.Ca.Moto, Giorgio started Pistal Racing.  I think he died a year or two ago.
diamonddog-2

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 06:45:41 AM »

Orange16 - That looks like the systems I saw while looking around.  Thanks!

Curious:  Were they much of an improvement over OEM?       I have replaced stock BMW K bike and FJ1100 exhaust with Supertrapp stainless steel and was REALLY impressed with the "sound" improvement and weight loss.  They both sounded more like sewing machines with stock. Bench pressing the OEM exhaust would probably give you a gun show after a while too.
 Roll Eyes

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 12:03:34 PM »

When I replaced the steel factory exhaust on my CBR1000F many years ago, I couldn't believe how heavy it was... talk about pumping iron!

I have a set of Arrow slipons on my Monster 796... hell yes they make a difference!  Not only in sound quality, but performance and street-ability.  I have to admit, with the stock DB killers in, it wasn't much of an improvement, but after some modifications... yes, and, of course, running it without any DB killers even more so.  I was actually kind of surprised how restrictive the stock Ducati cans turned out to be.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
diamonddog-2

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »

Sorry. I started going down an exhaust rabbit hole. Thank you for answering my question. Very informative.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 11:14:17 AM »

The Arrow cans are good exhausts and the stock headers on the 900's work better than most people think. If you scored CF Arrows cheap then thats great. waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
diamonddog-2

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »

Thank you for the input, kok64.   My bike's manifold came wrapped in exhaust tape. As Doug Lofgren was going over the bike, he suggested pulling it off, saying it really didn't do anything. Anyway, the header was rusting under the tape. I've been putting some penetrating oil on the cylinder head studs, hoping the nuts come off without too much fuss. I want to get the headers refinished in a ceramic coating for protection and a little added spiffing-up.
The CF Arrows were in pristine condition for a really fair price.  I'm grateful whenever I can find nice stuff for my bike and the seller is willing to ship to me. A lot of sellers just won't trust selling/shipping to a non-local person.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 02:37:57 PM »

Its great that you have Doug nearby. I saw one of Doug's dyno tests showing how good the stock 900 system is and that a full spaghetti system worth big bucks only gave an extra 1-2 hp at 8500 rpm. The test was on a hi comp 900-944 with FCRs iirc. So bang for buck the oem are good pipes. I have seen oem pipes with the cross over section "ported" so to speak (cut 'n shut a little larger). Doug would probably have an opinion if it's worth it. Grin

I just clean up pipes with sand paper, then metal polish and then wipe 'em them down with WD40. The pipes kind of develop a shiny bronze colour after that. I got the idea here year's ago.

2015 Scrambler 800
diamonddog-2

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 09:48:16 AM »

koko64: is the oem manifold made out of exhaust grade steel or stainless steel?  I've seen conflicting information and haven't pulled mine yet. I've read that the weight is around 5 lbs for stock manifold.
I had a full Supertrapp exhaust on a different bike that would get a golden brown color after a while. I used a fine Scotch Brite pad to clean it up and remove the color. I'm think the Duc manifold is probably harder material?
Yes, it's great having Doug as a resource. His new shop location is very close by which is really handy if he's needed.  He's such a genuinely nice guy too.  Dr. Ducati!

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 11:27:09 AM »

Others might know the grade of stainless. It doesn't appear as corrosion resistant as other grades but may have been selected for other qualities.
I enjoy reading Dougs tuning adventures. Smiley

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 04:54:49 AM »

Can't remember the alloy, but it is a relatively soft stainless to avoid cracking.  If you polish the pipes it helps avoid the corroded look.  The advantage of the spaghetti system is cornering clearance, assuming you de-nub the side stand  and run higher rear sets.
diamonddog-2

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 08:58:32 AM »

Thanks guys.  If it's stainless, maybe I'll try the polishing method ...... or at least give it a soft satin finish with some fine abrasive. I have found that particular finish is fairly easy to touch up when needed. I think I'll wait on the ceramic coat to see how either of the above methods might work first.

Doug had a close call about a year or 2 ago. He lifted something heavy, went about his business and didn't realize he had punctured a lung. It was pretty serious but he's fully recovered. When I dropped in, he was showing me how complicated mapping somebody's H2 was on his dyno. That shi* was well above my paygrade but it was cool to see it anyway and just talk with him.  He sure enough takes pride in his work.
Cheers!  chug

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: