Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:25:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2r 800 wet clutch  (Read 3011 times)
Airborne
Crash n' Burn

Monster S2R 800 - ALL BLACK

« on: April 09, 2021, 01:39:06 PM »

The time has come to replace my clutch on my s2r 800. I am confident the issue is just worn plates. I watched a ca cycle works video on how to replace the wet clutch in the 620, however, when I emailed Chris at CA cycle works he informed me the 800’s wet clutch is different. I know it’s a slipper, but how much of a job am I getting myself into here?

2007 Monster S2R, Vespa GTS 300, Vino 125
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 01:54:16 PM »

Four times more fiddly for an amateur. 1.5 times more or an expert. On average, 2.75 more fiddly  Cool

Videos are available (also from Chris?)

I'm soon on my seventh clutch (half of them with a normal, non APTC clutch) and none have been worn. At all. They're just glazed. I haven't tried, but wonder if they could live another life if sanded down a bit.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
caperix

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 04:25:10 PM »

Its not too much worse to replace the discs on an aptc bike, like stopintime said just more fiddly.  I would go the extra step & remove the basket to check the spring dampers & retorque the basket nut as both can cause issues.
Airborne
Crash n' Burn

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 06:12:03 PM »

Order this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254425608557

Maybe not the best example of an add, but the ducabike kit? Heard the Barnett wasn’t great...?

And also the gasket for around the clutch cover?

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 11:50:20 PM »

OEM Ducati is a good choice. Maybe the Ducabike is too (maybe it's OEM in another box).

Be careful with the tiny springs inside the assembly. Remember that the last disc goes in it's own slot, a little off the others.

Checking the spring dampers is a VERY good idea  waytogo Take a video of them and show us, if you can.

After two failures I decided that I had used all my luck and changed the complete unit. I think it was from a 750. No more dual mass drive primary gear. No more spring damper piece of garbage driven primary gear (under the basket). No more silly "self servo" grabby APTC patent.

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 12:16:31 AM »

If the plates are just glazed and you’re willing to try this:

(NOTE!!  IF YOU PROCEED AND GET HURT, YOU FOLLOWED ADVICE FROM SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET.  (I’m not liable...))

Try soaking the frictions in gasoline and lighting on fire.  During my M750 dry clutch weirdness, I oil soaked a brand new set of frictions and a friend gave me the idea.  It worked.  YMMV.

(Please be careful if you try this, ok?!?)

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 09:32:12 AM »

General consensus is that Barnett clutches aren’t good.  I once put a set in a high mileage MTS1000 and they performed worse than the 120,000 mile set of used plates we removed.

Barnett plates were grabby.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Airborne
Crash n' Burn

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 05:36:45 PM »

Checking the spring dampers is a VERY good idea  waytogo Take a video of them and show us, if you can.

When I get around to doing it, I will put a video up. Currently moving along on building an airplane but trying not to let the monster sit too long...

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 01:42:51 AM »

When I get around to doing it, I will put a video up. Currently moving along on building an airplane but trying not to let the monster sit too long...

The spring pockets are tight in the beginning. Then the springs start rattling around and after a 'while' the pockets are large enough for the springs to escape. Bad. Very bad. Of course, it doesn't happen to everyone, but often enough to make checking worth the extra effort.

Spain
'07 695, '13 1100 evo

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 08:01:02 AM »

I believe your slipper clutch is similar to a 695 I once had. There is a specific holding tool you will need, let me know if you have trouble finding one. I think I still have it my tool chest. Also, Ducati uses three holders to keep the stack together, which are essentially M3x45 bolts.
Airborne
Crash n' Burn

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 05:54:09 PM »

I believe your slipper clutch is similar to a 695 I once had. There is a specific holding tool you will need, let me know if you have trouble finding one. I think I still have it my tool chest. Also, Ducati uses three holders to keep the stack together, which are essentially M3x45 bolts.

Are you talking about a castle nut remover? I’ve heard of having to make one... time consuming... I’ll ship it back..

Duck-EZ

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 06:21:43 PM »

I think he is referring to the basket holding tool it looks like a big boxend wrench laser/water jet cut out of flat stock; that indexes on the exterior teeth of the basket assembly. A lot are sold are for the newer wet clutches and do not work on the 800/695. Although many sellers lump all the wet clutches and list it as applicable. Ass-k me how I know bang head. Someone may chime in on which one actually works for the early wet clutches. You can also just use the rear brake to counter your torque when breaking or tightening the main nut.

2006 Black N Tangy S2RS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: