Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 02:39:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Coils for DS Motors  (Read 2474 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« on: February 08, 2022, 03:24:41 AM »

I have been reading the Fastbikesgear paper on ignition again and recommend it. It's packed full of info and worth every cent of the very affordable price for the information provided.

There is a section that covers the twin outlet coils (Beru brand) in the DS desmodue motors. Its apparently an economical design that splits the voltage between the plugs for each cylinder. That's not ideal for a higher compression motors with large piston diameters having the spark energy halved for each plug. Has anyone tried twin plug coil alternatives from Dyna or Nology? Did starting and engine response improve? I was exposed to aftermarket coils that didn't split the voltage back in my HD days (Accel ignition parts).

With the Multi desmodue DS motors I have run extra earth cables from the battery to the cases, from one side of the cases to the the other and from the battery to the starter motor body (or all of these in a chain to the starter from the battery earth cable). This often works to stop voltage drops to the starter and ECU as gaskets and threebond (and corrosion) can insulate and compromise a good solid grounding of the electrical system. Also tried an earth from the ECU body to the frame.

I'm starting to think that half the of problem may be caused by the stingy coils on these bikes. The Marelli starting sequence may not help. The three (small sample) single plug Evo engines I deal with all explode into life once they overcome the extra compression.

Would appreciate any suggestions or details of parts suppliers.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 03:28:18 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 04:42:10 AM »

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/products/drag-specialties-5-ohm-dual-outlet-coil-single-fire-for-dual-plug-heads

Probably Harley oriented. Not sure of resistance required on a Duc.

Also the high price name brand spread... https://revivalcycles.com/products/dyna-coils-dual-output?variant=39629501399105&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxoiQBhCRARIsAPsvo-y2NsYYr1oMlCZ4SV3Jk8s0X-OqGCYLTtB6Y2ZLzDrAM8cqOZ2Rz8caAlngEALw_wcB

...and a 3 ohm version... https://www.denniskirk.com/dynatek/3-ohm-dual-output-coil-dc1-1.p20261.prd/20261.sku?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxoiQBhCRARIsAPsvo-wbNb7iorMfbqLDRyyK3frEg5mkP_gdD63clCqBJGh5hA1rFqU-OvUaAuPkEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:47:51 AM by ducpainter » Logged

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 10:37:29 AM »

Thanks DP. Surely Dynatek have something. I should contact Nology too. The DS coils are low resistance so I better start the emails.

Who halves the spark energy of a spark plug and doesn't expect starting issues on an over square, high compression motor.

Accel coils were the ducks guts back in my Harley days.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 12:00:36 PM »

Thanks DP. Surely Dynatek have something. I should contact Nology too. The DS coils are low resistance so I better start the emails.

Who halves the spark energy of a spark plug and doesn't expect starting issues on an over square, high compression motor.

Accel coils were the ducks guts back in my Harley days.
I ran Accel coils on my kwak triple. That thing would run without rings. Tongue

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 12:49:11 PM »

In the meantime I'll make sure to gap down new plugs to 0.6mm max on the DS motors until better coils can be readily sourced.

I heard that Dynatech didn't have a good option but were working on it.

I''ll e-mail Liam at FBG about any new options.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 02:23:49 AM »

https://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=79167.0

Thanks to forum members for getting the info I needed which I have passed on to a shop in NZ which has done a lot of work around Ducati ignition. Liam at Fastbikesgear will let me know what performance coils are out there for DS motors and I'll post up for our members.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
greenmonster

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 05:35:14 AM »

waytogo

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
MonsterHPD

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 08:27:35 AM »

waytogo

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 09:08:19 AM »

I sent through the info but have heard nothing as yet.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: