Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 06:15:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whatever happened to Wagner Lewis clutches?  (Read 1663 times)
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« on: March 25, 2021, 07:41:08 AM »

I remember watching the inspiring video on YT about these clutches that were supposed to be such a revelation, so what's going on with them now? Doing a Google search it's like they never even existed. I remember the clutches being super expensive and I was not super likely to get one but still found them interesting.

I'm interested in a lighter clutch for my bike, but not a compromise in streetability, operability, or longevity. There are so many choices it really puts the zap on my head. No idea what to do.

What's a good solid upgrade in the clutch department? A tried and true go-to. Not looking for the balls-out megabuck track solution but a good-ass OE replacement that could offer a little better than OE performance, not that the stock clutch even bugs me in the least.

As the clutch on my bike gets louder I am reminded that it is a wear item and I'd like to be prepared with a plan when that day comes. I am not running an open clutch, I have a solid clutch cover so looks are not important. But that may change, I might go to an open one just depends.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 09:04:39 AM »

Fred Rentz at YoYoDyne was 'our' go-to guy for clutch and brake parts. No more Brembo since a few years back, but I believe he still does clutches. He knows his stuff, stands behind it and is very nice to talk to. One of many options....

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 01:00:22 PM »

Nichols make the best basket I have used. Pro Cutting reportedly make a good basket and of course Yoyodyne.

My combo was a Nichols basket with oem alloy friction plates and a billet hub, stainless springs, Ti bolts and billet keepers. I ran an oem slave cylinder.  Lever/clutch throw is a personal taste and I preferred the oem slave cylinder for a longer throw and greater friction zone.

Besides stack height, the stiffness of the springs and depth of the keepers (and length of spring bolts!) contributes to clutch lever effort as does slave cylinder bore. A danger is having too stiff springs. I got a good feeling from a radial master cylinder too.
The dry clutch can be tuned  which is great but also means that like suspension one can lose their way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:02:32 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 02:16:43 PM »

"OEM longer throw" of the push rod, but shorter movement of the lever, yes?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 06:35:02 PM »

The smaller bore has a longer engagement stroke. It's easier to slip and modulate the clutch. It's heavier though.

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: