Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 09:56:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ML builds an old truck  (Read 41304 times)
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2021, 12:35:32 PM »

I did some reading and read 45 or so.

Honestly half of my resistance is that it's an AOD lol. I suppose I could look at a 700R4 which I think is a TH400 upgraded to an overdrive unit.

I'm not sure I would need overdrive anyway.  I can tell you this thing is not going to spend much time on the highway.

It's a long trek to dimby.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2021, 12:54:06 PM »

It’s an International.  What could be more “international” than mating different driveline components?  Grin

Also, who cares!  Run what’s best.  Also, imagine the looks when that rig goes blasting past pedestrian automobiles at 90mph on the interstate…

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2021, 11:19:51 AM »

Don't know if you've got power steering figured out, but I came across this interesting solution to project car PS:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41845/toyota-prius-power-steering-works-in-almost-any-project-car

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2021, 12:29:15 PM »

Don't know if you've got power steering figured out, but I came across this interesting solution to project car PS:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41845/toyota-prius-power-steering-works-in-almost-any-project-car

That is absolutely genius. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for sharing!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2021, 06:29:34 PM »

That is absolutely genius. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for sharing!

I can't recall, but some of electric power steering units need a control box. Pretty sure the Saturn Vue box, the Equinox and a few others. There is an aftermarket control kit to make them work, and they have a knob so you can tell the box what level of assistance you want.

This guy does 'em.

https://epowersteering.com/purchase/product/basic-eps-controller-saturn-vue-chevy-equinox-units

I'm pretty sure I have one of those boxes, but I need to find it to see which one. You can have it, of course. Assuming it'll fit.

I'll try to dig it out in case you go electric.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2021, 06:40:44 PM »

I can't recall, but some of electric power steering units need a control box. Pretty sure the Saturn Vue box, the Equinox and a few others. There is an aftermarket control kit to make them work, and they have a knob so you can tell the box what level of assistance you want.

This guy does 'em.

https://epowersteering.com/purchase/product/basic-eps-controller-saturn-vue-chevy-equinox-units

I'm pretty sure I have one of those boxes, but I need to find it to see which one. You can have it, of course. Assuming it'll fit.

I'll try to dig it out in case you go electric.

Nice.  If I can fit an electric assist I will. There's so many unknowns at the moment.

At this point I think I will test fit/tack in place the entire truck to make sure it will all work.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2021, 07:37:06 PM »

Basically, the benefit of using the Prius unit is that if hooked up to straight 12V, it operates in "limp mode", which means it provides assist assuming the vehicle is at 43MPH.

I might know a guy that can get you a new unit at cost +10%.  Wink

But I'm sure there are plenty out there from a salvage standpoint (we sell very few of those units, even though most of our vehicles have utilized that set up for the last 10-15 years).

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2021, 03:45:45 AM »

Basically, the benefit of using the Prius unit is that if hooked up to straight 12V, it operates in "limp mode", which means it provides assist assuming the vehicle is at 43MPH.

I might know a guy that can get you a new unit at cost +10%.  Wink

But I'm sure there are plenty out there from a salvage standpoint (we sell very few of those units, even though most of our vehicles have utilized that set up for the last 10-15 years).

I will keep this in mind Smiley

Looks like they're around $150 used. I couldn't find a cost on a new one.

ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2021, 01:33:35 PM »

I would stick with the TH400 unless you go PowerGlide which is even more bulletproof. And if OD is ever a concern, then pick up a Gear Vendors OD unit. Built for up to 2000hp, replaces the 4" tall housing, direct bolt on and simple push button actuation/disable.
https://www.gearvendors.com/product/automatic-3-speed-t-400-mech-speedo-11/?TYPE=STREET-STRIP&FUEL_TYPE=GAS

Granted, that's a $3k investment. But we are only here to help (spend your money).

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2021, 02:33:58 PM »

I would stick with the TH400 unless you go PowerGlide which is even more bulletproof. And if OD is ever a concern, then pick up a Gear Vendors OD unit. Built for up to 2000hp, replaces the 4" tall housing, direct bolt on and simple push button actuation/disable.
https://www.gearvendors.com/product/automatic-3-speed-t-400-mech-speedo-11/?TYPE=STREET-STRIP&FUEL_TYPE=GAS

Granted, that's a $3k investment. But we are only here to help (spend your money).

Yeah that's a nice unit but that cost Tongue

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2021, 10:15:53 AM »

I'm having three pedal thoughts now ...

triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2021, 11:46:35 AM »

Do it!  waytogo

I need to get  manual transmission back in my life. Four wheeled, that is.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2021, 11:51:06 AM »

Do it!  waytogo

I need to get  manual transmission back in my life. Four wheeled, that is.

I have a six-speed in my 2017 Mustang and I like it. For performance vehicles I really feel like a manual is the choice that's best. There's nothing like ripping gears while standing on the throttle.

Sadly, also works as an anti-theft device.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2021, 11:02:48 AM »

Well, the manual trans is all but a done deal.  I'm ordering a Tremec T56 6spd and all the parts that go along with it (flywheel, double disc clutch etc) next week.  I may have to add a transmission tunnel to the cab but I'm willing to do it.

I'm also grabbing a crate rear end.  Looking like a 9" with a Detroit Tru-trac diff.  4:11 gears with the T56 trans should put me at 80mph around 2000 rpm in 6th gear.  I can make that work.  The 9" should hold all the power I can throw at it.  Proabably U joints would be the weak link.

Tremec warranties the T56 to 700 foot pounds of torque  Shocked

Since I have a long bed frame and a short bed to go on it I'll have to section the frame something like 8-12 inches.  After that I can set the rear end, wheels and tires approx where they'll live.  I found a local guy that builds hot rod frames or whatever you want and he's going to stop down, take measurements and build some control arms for me.

I'm going to run the Mustang 2 front end that's in there now and see how it goes.  We'll build longer control arms to fit that allow a wider track width.  I'm shooting for something in the 75" range.

More to come...

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2021, 11:18:51 AM »

Oh hell yeaah!  popcorn

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: