Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 02:23:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: starter button does nothing  (Read 2317 times)
pmazdan9

« on: February 13, 2021, 04:53:22 PM »

Hi everyone, I've another problem with my duck waytogo

The starter button has been playing up for a few weeks now and I just turned a blind eye on it. It used to work when I turned handlebar to the right, then left, then up and down, sometimes I had to clap my hands and shout but eventually it got to the point where no voodoo magic works. I successfully ignored the issue thinking "it's easy, it must be a bad connection somewhere and I'll fix it when it's not cold" but now is the time to fix it.

When I turn ignition on, fuel pump primes, headlight comes on etc, when I press starter button, nothing happens. No click from the starter relay. Nothing at all.

What I've done so far:
- battery is good (and 2 months old)
- tested main relays - they seem good
- starter relay (or solenoid if you like) seems good - I took it out and measured resistance; I've a spare one as well from PO and gives the same readings, tried both on the bike with no luck
- when I connect 2 terminals on starter relay with pliers, bike starts fine

I assume the problem is somewhere between the switch and starter relay. I will take apart the switch tomorrow and test it for continuity, also I will look at the side stand switch, but this is all I can really think of. I'm not very good with electrics, I can check some basic stuff or follow idiot-proof instruction. It's pretty cold for bigger jobs right now, so if there's a problem with wiring, I'll take it to the local garage. My question is, what are some other easy tests I can do before paying someone else to fix it?

'05 s2r800
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 06:29:43 PM »

Before you take the switch apart, find the starter relay and make sure the little white plug is firmly attached. Take it out and plug it back in to be sure.

It's the most common issue for the problem you describe.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

pmazdan9

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 08:03:44 AM »

Im not sure what white plug you mean, the 2-pins plug that connects to the starter relay? If so, it is firmly attached. I swapped the relay twice.

About side stand switch, I don't have one. PO must have bypassed it - funny, I never noticed! I've a meta alarm that was professionally installed by PO as well, just adds another level of complexity but oh well.

Ive tested the start switch for continuity and it works fine. Also I am getting power to the start switch when ignition is on. I've measured voltage at the plug that connects to the solenoid (the one i mentioned before), 1 pin measured 12.05 and the other 3.3, nothing changes when I press the button. I take it as I have a short somewhere between the switch and the solenoid? Voltage between one of the studs on solenoid and ground measures 12.7, and 0 on the other stud.

'05 s2r800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 01:41:33 PM »

More likely an open, if so, around the steering head from the switch, which would explain the turning the handle bar symptom.  No wiring diagram in front of me, but one wire small wires) on the solenoid connector is power, the other is ground.  Check both for continuity.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 05:30:02 AM »

RH handlebar switch electrical connector can get corroded.  Look at the pins inside and clean if necessary

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:04:17 AM »

It's the switch, happened to me years ago.
One of the downsides to low current operation is that even the tiniest bit of oxidation can cause contact closure detection failure. On my S4RS the starter button does not connect to a relay but to the ECU. I was having intermittent failure to start, push the button and nothing. When I looked at the schematic I realized  that the started button was not connected to a relay. Pulled the handle bar switch apart, used a pink pearl on the contacts. After "careful" reassembly (what a PITA) and water proofing it has been working fine ever since. The oxidation was so slight I was only able to notice it because I had seen it before on numerous back-plane connectors.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »

Is the solenoid/relay silent, click loudly or give a feeble click?

That wiring near the headstem may well be broke from the sound of it.

Go thru each suggestion on your list, simple to complex.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:26:21 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
pmazdan9

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 07:05:09 AM »

I noticed my high beam press switch also stopped working. I've ruled out most of the possible causes I think, it's gotta be some broken wires in main harness. I was gonna inspect all wires and fix the problem, but it's raining every day so no can do, therefore I've decided it's best to let my local garage fix it!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions its much appreciated! Ill let you know what was the issue as soon as I know, bike's booked in for tomorrow.

'05 s2r800
pmazdan9

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 06:20:31 AM »

Bikes fixed now, there was a broken wire in main harness and one bad connector. Not only the buttons work but finally my trip meter doesn't reset to 0 anymore! They also noticed a slight leak when fuel pump primes and replaced the fuel hose quick release union.

'05 s2r800
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 09:49:39 AM »

Good news  waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 11:31:06 AM »

waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 11:46:17 AM »

Good to hear waytogo  Sounds like you found a good shop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: