Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:01:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M750 hard start issues  (Read 2718 times)
myoldcut

« on: January 27, 2021, 11:57:17 AM »

My first post so be kind  Smiley.

My ‘98 m750 will not start cold without starting fluid. Choke doesn’t help and twisting the  throttle doesn’t seem to make any difference either. Once the bike is warmed up, the engine starts right up. I was told that weak ground wires could be the issue besides possible carburetor problems. Bike runs pretty good once it’s started and had a chance to warm up. Any suggestions? Thanks! 
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 12:07:06 PM »

Welcome again.  chug

Does the starter motor crank quickly or struggle compared to when it's warmed up? If it cranks strongly and the same then I suspect the carbs.
Check the choke cable running to the back of the carbs. Your choke should make the bike start after a few cranks. Check that the choke actually engages when you use it. Does the choke actuator arm move? The choke jets are the most obvious ones in the carb bowl, they might be blocked.

An old bike that has been sitting a long time with stale gas often needs a carb overhaul. Jets get waxed up, passeges block, etc.

The ground wires may need a clean at their ground points and some add heavier gauge cables. Kits are available or you can make your own.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:14:18 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
myoldcut

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 07:45:40 PM »

I honestly don’t know if the choke is operating or not.  I’m gonna start with rebuilding the carbs since they haven’t had any attention other than cleaning the outsides. From what I remember, there are no rebuild kits for these carbs, correct? Thanks for the reply and I’ll keep ya posted on the progress.

Bill
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:11:11 PM »

An easy way to see if the choke works is while the bike is idling move the choke lever towards rich and note how the idle changes.  How old is the fuel?

https://www.dellortoshop.com/contents/en-us/d155_Ducati_Carburetor_Service_Kits.html  and your dealer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:34:12 PM by howie » Logged
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 04:35:45 AM »

Vertical carb needle/seat wears out which causes the fuel to drain into the cylinder when on the side stand.  Lack of fuel in carbs can cause the situation you describe. 

Always a good idea to go through the carbs, just change out the needles & seats when you do.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
tbyte

2000 750M

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 08:17:16 AM »

Inspect all the vacuum hoses to carbs.  If any holes repair or replace.  It made a huge difference for me especially during cold weather.
myoldcut

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 10:32:26 AM »

Last night I checked the choke mechanism and it seems fine. The battery doesn’t seem to hold much of a charge for very long. Could be low voltage not firing the plugs or the coils. But starting  fluid does them job every time. I noticed the idle is lumpy and the part throttle produces some popping in the exhaust and the engine seems to want to die if I let it idle without the choke/some throttle applied.  Thanks for the advice so far!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:50:10 AM by myoldcut » Logged
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 11:40:51 AM »

Next step:
      Recharge the battery and have it load tested.  Replace if needed.  Further diagnostics with a weak battery is like pissing up a rope.

After that:
Inspect all the vacuum hoses to carbs.  If any holes repair or replace.  It made a huge difference for me especially during cold weather.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 08:43:57 PM »

If the float bowls do get empty, given the small fuel passages, they prime slowly so expect pops and lean spots coupled with unusual running until the fuel gets everywhere it’s supposed to be

myoldcut

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 12:40:54 PM »

Update....

I removed the carbs and the necessary bits involved and cleaned everything. The carb bowls were somewhat better than expected, although they did have some junk in the bottoms. I removed and cleaned out the small jets and checked the floats for proper movement. I also cleaned up the ground wire connections.

Results.....the bike fired up within 5 revolutions WITHOUT starting fluid! A few pops through the carbs at first, but it soon settled and idled without choke or throttle being touched. I also noticed that the bike turned over quicker.

The bummer..... now I have dripping fuel from the overflow tubes and it’s quite a bit, both while  running and when engine is off.

So....I’m getting closer to my goal of making it dependable and easier to deal with. Thanks for the advice!

Bill
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 08:57:27 PM »

Overflowing fuel is another sign of the needles & seats being worn.

myoldcut

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 07:13:37 PM »

Overflowing fuel is another sign of the needles & seats being worn.

Any idea of where they can be sourced from? No luck from Factory Pro.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 08:11:46 PM »

Any idea of where they can be sourced from? No luck from Factory Pro.

No idea.  Internet search?

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 09:15:46 PM »

Same link as above   https://www.dellortoshop.com/contents/en-us/d169_Ducati_750_SS_and_Monster_Carburetor_Service_Kits.html   or your dealer. 
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 11:08:22 PM »

Powerbarn.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: