Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:06:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2002 S4 Head Gasket Compatibility  (Read 1180 times)
Cozzer

« on: January 06, 2021, 01:30:22 AM »

Hi,
The Pro-Italia parts catalogue I have lists the head gaskets for my bike as part number 78610542A. I understand that this part number, along with 78610543A, 78610481A, 78610482A, 78610483A and 78610484A are all superseded and part number 78610485A is current.

I couldn’t find anything in earlier threads so can anyone on this forum let me know why there’ve been so many changes to this part? I’ve seen some new/old stock of the obsolete parts for sale at a decent price but before I part with my cash, I’d like to know if there were any flaws in the earlier product that made Ducati change the part so many times.

Please feel free to put me straight if any of the  part numbers listed above are not compatible with a 2002 S4. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 03:18:23 AM »

I can't answer your question...exactly, but Ducati will often change part numbers if they change suppliers, so that's a possibility.

Please remove the tapatalk sig from your phone... http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=73379.msg1351052#msg1351052

instructions are in that thread. Thanks.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Cozzer

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 03:26:44 AM »

Thanks Ducpainter. Apologies, I missed the memo on the signature thing. Hopefully that’s switched off now.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 05:12:32 AM »

Thanks Ducpainter. Apologies, I missed the memo on the signature thing. Hopefully that’s switched off now.
Yup...worked fine. Thanks!

A company called Cometic used to offer gaskets for Ducs, but they're no longer listed on their site. I sent an email asking what's up.

IIRC the very early 916 gaskets were problematic. I might be recalling incorrectly.

ETA...Cometic got back to me. They still offer Duc head gaskets, but due to an upgrade on the website not everything is listed yet. You might want to contact them... cometic.com
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:55:20 AM by ducpainter » Logged

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Cozzer

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:38:39 AM »

Thanks Ducpainter.
I’ve used Cometic gaskets before on my Buell. Just been on their website but can’t find any 916 head gaskets listed anywhere. I see what you mean about their website.
I read on one of the forums (maybe this one) that they are the OEM for Ducati?They’re good but pricey.
Like I said in my original post, I’ve found some bagged NOS for under £30 each where list price is nearer £50! I need 4 so that’s a big saving especially as I’ve just spent over $400 on an EMS shim kit + odds and ends
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 12:50:45 PM »

I'm not sure if there were any iterations that were sub par other than a vague recollection of the very early ones. Maybe Speeddog will chime in. He has much more hands on than I.

Good luck!

perspective

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: