Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:26:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting first mountain bike. Any experts out there?  (Read 1729 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« on: December 21, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »

Any mountain bikers on DMF?

After over a year without exercise and more than two without being on a bike---motorized or otherwise---I decided I'm going to give MTB a try.

We have decent trails around here (so I'm told) and a small community of riders.  Looking to buy a hardtail and there are a few dealers here, but generally pickings are slim.  Used market is worse (due to selection but also size---locals all seem to be M or S).   

If any experienced riders are willing to share thoughts, I'd be grateful.  I offer nothing in exchange except a big dose of positive karma.   waytogo

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 03:04:10 PM »

I got nuttin' about MTB's...

Just curious where 'here' is these days.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Stella

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 03:26:20 PM »

There are a few of us out here (and actually MTB'ing is my first love).

Check for a pre-owned here:  https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/
Also check the social media site who's name I won't mention but sounds like facebook  Evil for cycling groups in your area.  Often members in these groups sell their bikes locally through these groups.  And they're good for connecting people to ride with and buy/sell cycling gear.

But as you've already found out, bikes are hard to find right now, new or pre-owned.

Your local bike shop can help you determine best size and you'll also want to consider having them do a "bike fit" after you get one so you're bike is dialed into your body measurements for optimal riding w/little discomfort.

One crucial tip:  don't wear undies with your padded bike shorts.   Wink

Other than this, good luck!  I hope you find one and can get riding soon.  It's so much fun.

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
d3vi@nt

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 04:02:25 PM »

I'd advocate for getting a fit *before* buying. Too many people buy the wrong sized bike, then spend $'s after the fit swapping out bars, stems, seatposts. And frequently end up with a poor fit, still.

As far as buying used, I'd avoid anything with 26" wheels/tires. Tires are getting harder to find and choices in a shop are limited if you're in a pinch and can't order online.

I'd also suggest tubeless or at least tubeless-ready wheels, particularly if you're in thorny or rocky areas?

What kind of terrain will you be riding?

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 04:49:33 PM »

Thanks all.

Ducpainter: Oaxaca, Mexico.

d3vi@nt: We're high desert roughly the altitude of Denver.  It doesn't rain from Nov-Apr.  It pours every afternoon May-Sept.

I've done the obligatory online research which can be at once enlightening and confusing.  But I'm limited by local offerings and economics.  Not a rich country so good used stuff is rare...most are used bikes that were $500 new and by brands unknown.  When I do find a good bike, it is usually not L / XL, since most people here are shorter than we Americanos.

So I'll have to splurge for a new bike.  As noted by Stella, global supply is limited.  On the plus side, we have two stores that are Specialized/Scott and Trek/Giant vendors, respectively.  All bikes here are 20%-or-so more than US prices, but it seems Specialized is 25-30% more, so I've narrowed to Scott/Trek/Giant because I get more for my dollar...er, peso.  Done plenty of reading on the models of these brands and have largely narrowed my decision to Trek X-Caliber 7/8 or Roscoe 6 (they fall within the top of my price range here).  Could look at Scott Scale or Giant Talon if it becomes impossible to order a Trek in a reasonable timeframe.  Anyway, X-Caliber is more XC; Roscoe is more trail.

- I'll likely be doing more XC just based on routes that local MTB groups ride, but I did do a ride last week on a borrowed bike (a very old dual-suspension Ellsworth) that had some fun downhill and off-road-river-bed stuff that was a ton of fun.  The point of this ramble is that while I expect to do more XC-style rides in point of fact, I think I prefer more trail riding even as it is limited.

- The Roscoe comes with a dropper, X-Cs don't.

- Both are tubeless ready, but come with tubed tires installed.  Tubeless is recommended here because of thorns and rocks.  I figure I'll wear out the stock and then when it's time for new shoes I'll get tubeless.

- From what I've read, both share the same frame, but the real difference are the wheels (27.5 v 29, with 27.5s wider of course) and the forks (X-C has air forks 100mm travel; Roscoe has coil 120mm travel).

- There are other component differences but I think those are the key ones in my decision-making.

So I'm wondering if I can do anything to the X-Cs to make them a little friendlier for downhill.  Maybe dropper and wider tires.  Not sure how wide I can go on the rims, though.   My thinking is that it would be a 29er good on fire roads and hard-packed stuff but with a little more edge for some gritty sections.  Of course, the Roscoe is gritty-ready but the 27.5s might be limiting for some of the longer/flatter riding I would be doing.

Ok, confused thinking-out-loud over.

Thoughts?

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 04:53:54 PM »

I'd advocate for getting a fit *before* buying. Too many people buy the wrong sized bike, then spend $'s after the fit swapping out bars, stems, seatposts. And frequently end up with a poor fit, still.

Yeah, I hope to be able to get some formal fitting done at the shop however I don't have much confidence in them.  Last sales guy I talked to asked my height and then told me I was "L"...just as you would if you looked up the company's chart online.  Was hoping for a little more nuisance and trial.

That said, I know some riders that have bikes in similar sizes (I'm either an L or XL), so I think I can at least do a lap or two around the block to get a comparative sense of fit and feel.

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 04:58:41 PM »

Hey, I would recommend the 29er, hardtail ... A bit heavier than a 27.5" but as you noted, MX is not very abundant in brands, Specialized and Cannondale have more stores than other brands...

If Scott, got gor a Scale 960/950, still Aluminium, CF breaks and tatai frame; Giant wise, Talon is their entry level in Al . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 04:59:47 PM »

Yeah, I hope to be able to get some formal fitting done at the shop however I don't have much confidence in them.  Last sales guy I talked to asked my height and then told me I was "L"...just as you would if you looked up the company's chart online.  Was hoping for a little more nuisance and trial.

That said, I know some riders that have bikes in similar sizes (I'm either an L or XL), so I think I can at least do a lap or two around the block to get a comparative sense of fit and feel.
Could be, but, test a size M too . ..

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 06:11:20 PM »

Bottom line is, what’s your price point? If you know what you’re willing to put out it makes the process much easier.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
d3vi@nt

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »

This site is a decent resource to get a good idea of fit on your own: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 10:08:20 AM »

This site is a decent resource to get a good idea of fit on your own: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Thanks, I'll play around there.

Bottom line is, what’s your price point? If you know what you’re willing to put out it makes the process much easier.

30000p, roughly 1500usd.  Here are what I've considered:

22700  -  Roscoe 6
22900  -  Talon 0         
24000  -  X-Caliber 7
26000  -  Rockhopper Elite
28400  -  X-Caliber 8
28400  -  Scale 970

=

30900  -  Fathom 2
31300  -  Roscoe 7
33800  -  Scale 965

I actually am favoring the Fathom 2 now even as it jumps a bit out of my budget because it has wider wheels than the X-Caliber 8 (30mm vs 23mm) plus a dropper post; meanwhile it's a 29er vs the Roscoe 6 (27.5+) which was my other initial consideration.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 11:06:45 AM »

The Fathom has a tall BB (bottom bracket) which makes technical (single track) riding more difficult. Doesn’t respond as quickly to rider input.

The Rockhopper Elite shouldn’t be as expensive as your quote. (?) Specialized has always made quality bikes.

The components are what you want to pay attention to. Shimano and SRAM being the two big players.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 12:23:35 PM »

Thanks kopf.

Yeah, Specialized have a markup here in excess of other brands which makes them not worth including in my search.

ex: the Rockhopper Expert is 1200 in the US but here it's 1600 (32000p).  At that price I could get a Chisel in the USA (which here runs 42000p).   For 32000p I'd get better components with the comparably-priced Roscoe 7/Fathom 2/ Scale 965/ X-Caliber 9.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »

Gotcha. If possible test ride a few of your choices, that can really be helpful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: