Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 01:02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: needing a new ECU  (Read 2237 times)
shefreak

« on: December 19, 2020, 11:33:07 AM »

I have a 2002 620,

it's firing on one cylinder, the other fire's intermittently

i don't know about Ducati mechanics so I take my bike to a guy who only works on Ducati's and knows these bikes well.
He tried everything to work it out, and he concluded that i needed a new ECU.

he's working on locating one, at a modest price, but i thought i'd ask you guys if you knew where i could get one at a resonable price.
also, is replacing the ECU as easy as plug in and go, are does anything need to get recalibrated?

A few years back, I had to send my existing ECU and Dash to have the immobilizer feature  erased . My key was no longer being recognized, Even though i had the master red key, there was nothing to be done but to have it wipped.
having had this done, would this mean if i put in a new ECU, that i'd need a new dash as well?

i'd love to give you more technical info, but i just ride, i don't do mechanics
shefreak

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 12:01:41 PM »

also to add, when i had the immobilizer removed from the existing ECU and Gauges, it was done by SOS Diagnostics. it was done 4yrs ago and had no issues.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »

The ECU itself is plug & play. I'm not sure if it's required to have the TPS reset (throttle position sensor), but it's also quite easy (affordable).

Maybe you'll need to delete the immobilizer on the 'new' ECU also......

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 07:13:58 PM »

TPS will need to be reset.

If your replacement ECU has an active immobilizer...
Orange16

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 04:16:16 AM »

If you buy a second hand ecu fitted to another M620 from the factory, it will be coded to a gauge/immobilizer and key set.  So it will need to have the immobilizer function disabled in the ecu file to make it work with your dash and key set.

Be aware that early M620 didn't have clutch switches, and require a unique ecu file to work in those bikes.  If yours is one of them, reading the file from your current faulty ecu then flashing that file into the replacement ecu is the best idea.

The M620 is a non linear throttle position sensor, so you don't do an electronic tps reset after fitting a replacement ecu.  That procedure is for linear tps bikes.  Some of the diagnostic software available will allow you to do that, but don't.  It will possibly cause running issues.  There is a manual tps reseting procedure for the non linear tps, but it is a bit more advanced.

Ideally, you would take it to someone who has a gas analyzer and have them set the idle mixture.  Or you could read the idle trimmer setting in the old ecu and transfer that into the replacement ecu.
shefreak

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 10:04:09 AM »

what a make the beast with two backsin headache.... this bike has done me in financially already....

do they make ECU's without active immobilizers???

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »

They do, but not cheap.  https://www.microtec.cc/en/standard-production/motor-sport/m197/  Figure in the area of $900-1000.

Chances are your mechanic either has the ability or knows someone local who can flash flash your computer.  Your mechanic should also have the software to set TPS.
shefreak

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »

Chances are your mechanic either has the ability or knows someone local who can flash flash your computer.  Your mechanic should also have the software to set TPS.
[/quote]

are you talking about th new ECU i will be getting?  needs to be flashed? or my exisring ones. that i'm trying to replace, that has been flashed witht the gauges. years ago.

the bike is haing firing issues, and my mechanics claims it's the ECU

is there anyway to keep using my current ECU, but put a complely new memory in it? so it will work with the ignition problem?

i really appreciate the feedback, from all of you
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 06:57:16 PM »

The new ECU.  Flash if the immobilizer is still active.  TPS reset is needed if the ECU, TPS or throttle body are changed or throttle screw settings are changed.  CO trim should be checked also. 

Generally speaking the only positive diagnosis for an ECU is rule every other component first then try a known good ECU.  Assuming the computer is the problem it is not a memory problem, it is a bad internal component. 
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 09:31:40 AM »

if ignition issues the rectifier may be worth double checking. I've had two bikes now with that problem. The stock rectifiers are garbage and can cause running problems such as misfiring.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: