Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 01:11:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenies Strike Again!  (Read 3613 times)
Curmudgeon

« on: November 24, 2020, 06:51:27 PM »

https://www.rideapart.com/news/455175/ducati-spin-off-in-works/

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »

Valuability in "The New World" ?   After " The Great Reset"...Collector Items, Something to think about !!!

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
d3vi@nt

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 10:22:09 AM »

Don't know if I'd blame 'greenies' so much as VW --they did it to themselves. They're still paying penance for their emissions cover-up and the legal requirements are forcing these decisions.

But, we're probably marching down a political rabbit hole, so I will move along  laughingdp

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 10:31:23 AM »

I do agree,  On both statements.  Nuff Sed... drink

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Curmudgeon

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 10:51:03 AM »

Retired but still receiving industry feeds; laterally related. https://www.thenewsmarket.com/news/a-unique-project-is-born--ducati-diavel-1260-lamborghini--inspired-by-the-si-n-fkp-37/s/e559cee6-ffb2-4322-86e0-577bbb980acc

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »

Watch Ducati come out with a beautiful electric masterpiece right after they get sold off to a Chinese conglomerate. Elon should buy the brand, use his tech with these new ebikes, while still producing the ice bikes for collectors and enthusiasts until they are legislated out of existence. The problem with electric bikes is that they look like electric bikes. Ducatis, to me, never had what I would call a beautiful engine but the rest of the bike was always first in class with beauty and design coherence. So hang a battery pack & motor assy from a trellis frame, integrate the rest of the bodywork in typical Ducati fashion and profit. I'd buy an electric Ducati.

I used to think I wanted a new Duc like a 1200R or a SFV4S but I am getting over that. I like the bike I have now and it may be my final Duc. I find myself wanting a Zero SRF or at least I'm stoked at the idea of it. It's the least dowdy, most sporty looking non supersport electric motorcycle on the market right now. If Duc made electric motorcycles, I think they would do the typical Ducati thing and design a beautiful bike like they always have. I never understood why the Prius is so blatantly dowdy. Is there some reason why they cannot be better looking?

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 10:51:20 AM »

I agree, almost completely, with you Booger.

It's going to happen a lot sooner than most of us imagine. The main reasons are: Ducati wants to be early/first. Part of a conglomerate or smaller unit... either way they MUST lower emissions WAY UNDER what they can with combustion engines.

I have opinions, feelings and arguments to knock down most greenies, but their momentum is strong and can't be stopped. Ducati can't risk being made an enemy, so playing along might be the only way to be allowed to ride classic bikes on sunny Sundays, maybe.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 08:42:44 AM »

Having ridden both the Harley and City electric bikes, I can safely say both were utterly dry and soulless experiences.

Part of what I have always enjoyed about riding is the direct sensation of the combustion -- the big bang of the L twin.

The moto industry is on life support already because people are buying fewer bikes overall...  In Asia, sales have remained ok because bikes are used more but in the west, motos are seen as a luxury or recreational item... 

Remove the gasoline engine from the picture (no matter how much it is regulated and strangled) and you end the moto industry in the west.  There is simply zero joy in an electric bike.  None.  Period.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
d3vi@nt

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 05:55:41 PM »

There is simply zero joy in an electric bike.  None.  Period.
Perhaps. But there is utility. Hopefully, as prices drop that utility is realized. If so, e-bike sales might help keep the US moto market afloat.

I can totally see the soulless aspect, but I have to imagine that torque is insane.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/12/15/vw-keeps-lamborghini-ducati-transfer-audi-bentley-electrification-strategy/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlYXBpcy5jb20vYXV0aC9jaHJvbWUtY29udGVudC1zdWdnZXN0aW9ucw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANG4XFxAElLIvNzYpmteAklC3CNbXurOiDArYZrAgOoahKg1PbtFW4Dfs0uwAULDMvqi16OC992u565j7dFkpJckkMmew4U243l-K6gxYNAoK6_vpFxdrRxDo-8ifLyRkQ0WchdzXqZRbbGm0BlH-PfzrmYkMX9p4ck4dCHpOB69

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »

Perhaps. But there is utility. Hopefully, as prices drop that utility is realized. If so, e-bike sales might help keep the US moto market afloat.

I can totally see the soulless aspect, but I have to imagine that torque is insane.

The utility is limited.  Americans view 2-wheeled transport as either a recreation or a religion.  They don't see it as a viable means of getting around. 

E-bikes might work in urban settings where people have very short commutes or are running errands (and when I say "people" i mean people who don't have kids).  That's where scooters have had sales.  But even those sales are tepid beyond courier businesses.  In 2011, there were about 35,000 scooters sold in the US.  in 2019, that number dropped to 20,000.  And that's' where most of your sales for e-bikes would come from.  Very few people use motorcycles for general transport in the US and given the distance/mileage limitations of e-bikes, it's going to be relegated to urban areas where recharging is available (and where people already use scooters).

But again, it's not that much.  20,000 scooters sold is not going to be enough to be profitable for most companies.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 08:43:10 PM »

The American dream of home ownership spreads cities out and generates suburbs at a higher % than European cities.  Also factor in the US fuel subsidies (we pay far less per gallon of dead-dino-juice than Europe), and sensible scooters just don’t cut it much here.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 08:45:24 AM »

https://electrek.co/2021/01/14/sondors-unveils-80-mph-commuter-electric-motorcycle-that-is-actually-affordable/

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
d3vi@nt

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 01:25:00 PM »

Interesting. At 11HP, it won't blow your hair back, but at least in my state, looks like no 'M' endorsement required. Could be pretty appealing to urbanites given that and the price.

Wonder what shipping to the US might cost.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 02:25:36 AM »

Interesting. At 11HP, it won't blow your hair back, but at least in my state, looks like no 'M' endorsement required. Could be pretty appealing to urbanites given that and the price.

Wonder what shipping to the US might cost.

11hp is likely 20-25ft/lbs from 0 rpm, so that would be good around town.  Price tag is reasonable.  Design is nice!  Wondering how legal the signals would be in the US/Eu.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: