Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 06:03:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you buy a 2012 M696? Should I?  (Read 1540 times)
QueenieLizzie

« on: November 23, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »

First off, I have no intention of selling or trading my 1999 M900. I’ve wanted a second bike for a while and love the 900 so much I can’t talk myself out of wanting ANOTHER Monster. Had to take the ‘99 into the shop for some pretty serious clutch work. I guess to be expected at 49k miles and 21 years on the road. Just for fun stopped at the local Italian dealership on the way home and spotted a used 2012 Monster 696. For what seems like a good price. In the satin white color which I like. And I think I can actually afford it despite the setbacks this year has brought me.  My main concern is that it will feel small compared to the 900.  It’s a cute little number with several nice upgrades courtesy of the PO (carbon Termis, Rizoma handlebar grips and mirrors) I’m not an overly aggressive rider. Not a hooligan. So I don’t need or want a super powerful bike for my commute, and occasional canyon ride or road trip. Any thoughts on how it compares to the old carby monster?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:44:23 PM by QueenieLizzie » Logged
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 12:07:12 PM »

'Better' ergonomics - more leg room, more upright, much lighter clutch pull.

Maybe smoother running.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
QueenieLizzie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 12:51:51 PM »

Interesting... I didn’t try sitting on the bike at the dealer.  Wasn’t feeling serious enough to tempt the salespeople like that. If they have then same seat height where’s better leg room coming from? Rear sets? 
My 99 is a “City”, so it has handlebars with a rise, I don’t find it uncomfortable at all.  I did get foot cramps when I first got it but a rear shock adjustment settled that.
Also, did all the 696s come with a fly screen? This one doesn’t have it.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 01:51:08 PM »

I wouldn't.

I don't think any Monster came with accessories, like a screen.

The 696 will be very different from your 900...fun, but different. Be prepared to wring it's neck. waytogo

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:08:25 PM »

The foot peg position is a little different. Doesn't take much to feel 'roomier'.

696 was sold with seat cover and fly screen as a "+" model. No +, no accessories.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »

As long as you can get it for a reasonable price... and it has records of maintenance.

I came off a CBR1000F... to a '13 Monster 796.  I thought I would miss the power, but I don't except in absolute straightaway power; the 796 is so much more nimble and, for lack of a better word... handy.  It's a fun bike to ride around town, and is reasonable for a 3 hour romp.  It is not a sport tourer or a long-haul bike.  It has That Sound (with proper cans!)  There is no reason a nice 696 can't work for you...

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 11:42:07 PM »

Do make sure the bike is up to date on service, particularly the timing belts and fluids.  Tire age too.  Back when the 696 first came out a dealer set me out on one and said don't come back until you put 40 miles on it.  Better than my old bike, but I liked my bike more.  You ill solve that problem by keeping both.
QueenieLizzie

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 07:06:24 PM »

Yep. Dealer states 15k service was just completed at their shop.

To be honest, I’m not sure if I wanted you all to talk me out of it or in to it.
My husband is encouraging me to get it. He Kiss wants me to have a newer bike I can always rely on. (The ‘99 has been pretty reliable, but not perfect. What is?)
If I schedule a test ride I almost surely will buy it. I haven’t read a negative word about this bike...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »

He's a good man and also welcome here. chug

2015 Scrambler 800
QueenieLizzie

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:14:32 PM »

Well hopefully I’ll lears a lesson from this. Got geared up to go to the dealer on Saturday morning, double checked the website for the price and saw the bike had been sold  Embarrassed. Hope whoever got it enjoys it cheeky. There’ll be another I’m sure... thanks all for your input!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: