Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 08:12:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coil heat  (Read 1238 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« on: October 16, 2020, 06:27:55 PM »

At what temp do you become concerned about coils overheating? Or what is an acceptable Operating temp of a coil before heat saturation and component failure? I've seen coils that were mismatched with other ignition components overheat and even emit lightning (on a BSA '66 Lightning)!
Coils can run warm to the touch without issue. On Kokusan ignition models the 3ohm coils seem to run a bit hotter than the 5 ohm . What's your anecdotal data?

I'm testing second gen CCW coils with correct resistance plug caps, oem wires and plugs but the coils are quite warm to the touch without being hot if you get my drift.  I know the Ignitech ignition can be quite hard on 3 and 5 ohm coils but this bike (an M600) has stock Kokusan ignition. I have ensured that the coils are not earthed to the frame as per Chris K's instructions as this can cause issues. The stock coils had earth wires to the coil posts so I removed them. Is this a factor?
 Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:17:38 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 09:05:24 PM »

I would guess there would be no specific any coil temperature, but some can get too hot to touch.  Back when we used to test run the students worked on we would feed them 12 volts direct, no resistor.  Of course, sometimes they cranked a long time.  Coil failures were rare, and usually due to the oil boiling.  Boom goes the coil Grin

I have no ideas about Chris's instructions.
Frank C

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 05:47:36 AM »

Coming from a different industry...but most manufacturers of rotary and linear motors state a max winding temperature of 125 to 155 C.  Anything higher and the "stuff" they use to isolate the windings starts to reflow, causing a short.

Assuming an ignition coil would have similar issues.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 01:15:45 PM »

That's interesting info. Makes sense. Cheers.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: