Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 11:23:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bypassing immobilizer through creative wiring...  (Read 10699 times)
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« on: September 17, 2020, 08:58:28 PM »

Forgive my absence if this has been discussed previously.

Forgive my not searching for it on this site.

Can I just wire the fuel pump relay ON while the kill switch is ON and wire the solenoid to the START button to bypass the immobilizer on an ‘07 S4Rs?

Stupid bike left me stranded today.  It’s a salvage title bike with 25K miles so I don’t plan on investing mucho bucks to fix this...

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 02:54:06 AM »

I don't know for sure Stu, but your idea should work assuming the immobilizer doesn't also mess with ignition.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 05:20:36 AM »

Yes and my other concern is whether or not the ecu turns off the 5V to the injectors and TPS.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 07:46:02 AM »

I've wired directly from the start button to the solenoid on a couple Immo bikes that torched that particular circuit in the ECU.
But that was only to bypass that part.

I'm thinking the Immo cuts off the opening of the injectors for sure.
It may well just interrupt the signal from the trigger, I've had bad triggers and the ECU only adds fuel if it thinks the motor's turning.

Like most anti-theft devices it's a total PITA when it malfunctions.
Not sure how high they set the bar on defeating it, largely a 'make it more difficult than that other bike over there' deal I think.
Dunno, with the 4 guys, a mattress and a van routine maybe delay is immaterial.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 08:41:43 AM »

Salvage titles S4Rs, so putting big $ into it is not an option (that’s the reason for this whole thread.)

So, I’m going to check the presence of 5V @ the TPS.
I’m going to check the presence of 12V feeding the ignition/injector relay.
I’m going to check whether or not that relay pulls in when the kill switch is ON.

Will post up with any progress.  May be a while. Riding isn’t a big priority for me these days.

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 12:32:15 PM »

Forgive my complete ignorance, most hallowed gentleman. Isn't it simpler to reflash the ECU and do away with the immobilizer altogether? Or is that an example of more expensive?

I ask because Ducvet reflashed my ECU a few years ago to get rid of some of the S2R1000/lambda sensor/lack of lambda sensor/low idle issues a few years ago, and while he was in there..... No more immobilizer.

I assume that it's not as simple as that?

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 01:11:57 PM »

I'm not certain, but...I'm thinking Stu doesn't want to spend a couple of hundy on this bike.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 08:32:13 PM »

I'm not certain, but...I'm thinking Stu doesn't want to spend a couple of hundy on this bike.

I’m at a financial tipping point on this bike.  I couldn’t care less about the fact that it’s an S4Rs.  It’s a salvage titled “get us through the next couple years” vehicle.  So, I have time and always wanted to see if this could be done.

So yeah, it’s $.  If I put too much into this, less $ to redo the Bobber...

caperix

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 03:09:03 AM »

Some of the xdf files for the 5am ecu have the immobilizer  position marked. I have not tried it to see if it is correct but that would just need a cheap cable & iaw flasher.
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 04:44:31 AM »

Wired to kill switch:
Relay for injector/ignition power (same relay)
Relay for fuel pump

Wired to start button:
Starter solenoid

So far, consensus is that this should work.  I will need to check for the presence of 5VDC at the TPS and the timing sensor though.

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 02:50:43 PM »

Although I share the same logic, I have tried this and not had any success.

I went through the wiring diagram of my S2R1000 in pretty detail and discovered that the injector system is independent of the immobolizer system and tried to isolate it the bike would never turn over. I thought I fried my immobilizer by accident but when I bought a brand new harness and wired it up, it was working just fine. Granted I could be reading the diagram incorrectly (which is a high possibility because there are a few circuits in the diagram that make no sense to me).

As capeirx said, the XDF files for the 5AM ECU are readily available , so you may be able to just shut it off with a $5 cable and a bit of patience.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 06:36:51 PM »

But did you wire the solenoid to the starter button?

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »

I missed that bit. I did not, but I did jump the relay and cycled the starter by touching the two leads on the starter relay and it would just crank forever, so in essence its the same thing I believe.

If I understand the circuit correctly, the starter relay is directly connected to the battery on one end and the other goes to the starter. The starter relay also has a two wire pig tail. Both those wires connect to the starter button which closes the circuit. In between the starter button and the starter relay is some logic that the computer has to pass in order to engage the starter. That logic might include the injectors.

If the starter is forced to crank but the bike does not start, my only logically reasoning is that the injectors are not firing, which means they are dependent on the immobolizer disengaging. I guess the best way to check this is as you said, check for voltage at the injectors when you crank the starter. The injectors are simple enough. If they get juice, they fire, so if they dont fire, then obviously the ECU is not sending the power to the injectors which means they are in fact tied to the immobolizer which is a huge bummer.

I still think the XDF and bin file is your best bet.

I can't go that route simply because I don't even know what bin file my ECU is running right now!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:59:51 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 11:07:15 AM »

Battery is charged.  Going to futz with it some tonight.

The LonElec cable is $31 shipped to my door, so that’s likely my fix.  We’ll see if a charged battery helps anything tonight (not that it was low mind you...)

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 04:10:05 PM »

One thing that sprang to mind just now

My OEM ECU one of the spark channels went bad
I swapped everything else around, injectors, coils, swapped leads on injectors and the problem stayed put on the vert
Not significant here other than if you swap injector leads, apparently the injectors are timed and it's definitely not a better tune.
Runs just sounds crappy.
I have not tried that since so maybe I was getting bad data from experimenting with a wounded part but in a swap/debugging fiesta red herrings get thrown around.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: