Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 09:35:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dune  (Read 3248 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« on: September 09, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »

Trailer looks great.  I normally would post this in Kopf's movie trailer thread but I wanted to ask the forum at large:

Anyone read this?  Recently?  Opinions?  I've been liking scify/fantasy more and more these days but at 800 pages long I don't want to dive in if it hasn't held up well as a book.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:17:01 PM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 10:43:53 AM »

It's a fantastic book.

I saw the last (?) movie, and it was a disappointment.
IIRC, it was basically the 8 major events of the book but little else to tie those events together.
If I hadn't read the book it would have made no sense whatsoever.
It reckon it would take a movie at least 20 hours long to cover the book.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 11:16:18 AM »

It's a fantastic book.

I saw the last (?) movie, and it was a disappointment.
IIRC, it was basically the 8 major events of the book but little else to tie those events together.
If I hadn't read the book it would have made no sense whatsoever.
It reckon it would take a movie at least 20 hours long to cover the book.

The book is a series, no?  So is Dune 1 complete or does it leave you hanging for book 2, 3, etc.?

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 11:20:04 AM »

The book is a series, no?  So is Dune 1 complete or does it leave you hanging for book 2, 3, etc.?
It's a trilogy. I read it years ago. I'm not much of a reader, but I couldn't put them down.

It will leave you hanging, IMO.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »

Not to mention all of the spin-off and origin stories written by Frank and his son, Brian...

I am looking forward to this latest iteration.
I really wish the H.R. Giger designed/Alejandro Jodorowsky adaption wasn't so unbelievably bad (and unproduced)...it had massive potential. H.R. Giger did say he had wished he could have worked on the film adaptation with David Lynch. Sadly, that never happened.

I don't have all of the books by Frank and Brian as I am only collecting them in hard cover but I do have the original trilogy, The Prelude to Dune trilogy, and the Legends of Dune trilogy. Still need to find the Heroes of Dune trilogy but when I was really tracking stuff down, they were still changing up and finalizing the Heroes storyline/titles.

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
Jaman

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 10:38:38 AM »

Loved the Trilogy, the movie was 'ok'... I remember liking it, but being a bit disappointed that they didn't stick to the story better, but was a pretty insurmountable task...

This new trailer looks pretty Awesome!  I hope they turn it into a 3+ movie franchise  waytogo
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 11:26:56 AM »

I read the trilogy some 40 or so years ago so I don't remember much.  Might actually be an interesting re-read with some of what is going on in the world today.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 01:20:05 PM »

I read the trilogy some 40 or so years ago so I don't remember much.  Might actually be an interesting re-read with some of what is going on in the world today.

You and me, Howie.  DMF bookclub!

ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »

But you can't beat this ..classic

And yes the books are riveting as good as Foundation by Asimov 
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »

Got my copy.  Starting tomorrow.

You in?

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »

Maybe.
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 04:32:08 AM »

But you can't beat this ..classic

It'll be very hard to top that.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 02:08:54 PM »

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 07:16:09 PM »

I'm 225pp in.  It's getting good.  waytogo

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 10:19:36 AM »

So, I'm a bit late to the party.  I listened to book one through Audible and I'm wondering if I "read" the same thing you all did.

I hated it.  I finished the book and had no desire to ever listen to the rest of the story.  I'll see the movie when it's available online but that's about all I can handle.  Undecided

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: