Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 08:29:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adventure touring bike for short people.  (Read 2685 times)
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« on: September 01, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »

I love to travel.  If this stupid COVID will ever go away and borders open again, I want to go back to my beloved SE Asia.  I kind of want to do a motorcycle adventure tour through this time.    I'm slowly starting to think about this but I am wondering:

Is there an adventure bike out there that has some power on the asphalt but I won't care if I drop it on rocks and gravel, that...

... someone with short little legs like me can ride?  I'm only 5'5" and my legs are short.  I am on the balls of my feet on my monster.  Adventure bikes have a little more clearance... Am I just SOL because I'm so short?

Thanks!

"Do something each day that scares you..."
amcjen

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »

Hiya! Your trip sounds aaaawwesome, kinda jealous.

Not sure the top speed you’re expecting, but have you considered a Yamaha TW200?  They’re super low, will tractor up pretty much anything you throw at them, and can do 55mph no problem.

I’m not sure I’d take that bike on a US adventure bc our freeways here are so fast. But for SE Asia, it might be just the ticket.

My husband rides one and he loves it. (He’s 5’4”).
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 03:55:56 PM »

Oh, that is small... that would actually drive me crazy.  I've rented a little 250 hondas over there and it drove me crazy!  I was hoping for something at least 500 ccs.

But thanks for the suggestion. Smiley

amcjen

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 04:03:48 PM »

No probs, totally understand. Maybe a Honda CB500X (quaintly called the “half-rica twin”) would work.  500cc, 31” seat height, and really reliable.

A BMW 310 GS could work too, but a little less power.  Has a 32” seat height.

Some more you may want to look at (ignore the title, these are the lowest seat-height adv bikes regardless of skill): https://www.tigitmotorbikes.com/best-adventure-motorcycles-for-beginners/
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 04:08:11 PM »

I'm on the balls of my feet on my Ducati as well but can easily captain it with one foot on the pegs (5'6", 150lbs, 29in inseam). I had a DR650 which is about 32.5in i think. I was able to captain morgan it pretty easily. The bigger issue is that its a pig to pick up. You might want to look at the XT250 though it is grossly under powered for long distance travel on the highway in my opinion but you can do it. The XT has pretty bad headshake over 70MPH and tops out at not too far from there. I dont think i've ever gotten it up to 80 unless i was downhill and tucked. The KLX250 is a much better choice but I've never ridden one. Last but not least, you have the option of lowering the fork and spring with internal spacers which sacrifices comfort in most cases.

I know BMW makes a low seat bike its the F650 or something like that. Again, its a pig to pick up but so is any 650 thumper.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
greencow

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 08:51:32 PM »

Haha, HeMan, same here, 5'6" 145-150lbs, with a 30" inseam.  Loved my DR650.  Pretty sure stock height is 34.8", lowered is around 33".  It's a tall boy.  Hangin' a leg at every light, you get used to it I guess.

RE's Himalayan is around 31.5, MsTek.  Good price brand new as well, not a ton of power, but it'll truck on through all the rough bits.  Cheap to fix as well. 
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 09:14:23 PM »

No FHE, but I believe you do not need a lot of power is not needed for much of Asia. 

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-rides/noraly-schoenmaker-royal-enfield-himalayan/ 
Her videos  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIs9nkveW9WmYtsOcJBwTg/featured

Also search on the this forum DanTheMan who toured much of Asia on a used I think Russian 250 2 stroke.
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »

Yeah I saw her videos.  She even says that she wishes she had a little more power.  I am looking at her bike as well- $4K isn't too unreasonable...esp. since I expect to pay a lot of bribes if I decide to do this.

When I go to Asia I go for long periods. I want to be a light packer but I'm a diver as well and prefer to have my own dive kit with me... so that takes up room. I've wanted to bring my own helmet because the ones in Asia suck (I have a big head and lots of hair). 

I get even wilder ideas though- buy a boat, put the bike on the boat, sail to Asia, have fun....

Except I can't sail a big boat.  I've only done little boats on the great lakes (14ft or less).

Still, I am starting to put together a list... I just want to be able to spend six months in SE Asia with Thailand as my base then slowly make my way home.

The wanderlust is so friggin hard now with things the way they are.  I dream about freedom.

amcjen

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 10:26:04 AM »

Regardless of the bike you end up with, I’m sure it will be an absolute blast and you’ll have stories for a lifetime. When you go, be sure to post a link to your blog (or IG account) so we can follow along!  Best of luck in making it all happen!
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 03:23:09 PM »

+1 on a pm to Dan the man. He just flew one way and bought what he found useable when he got there. A small honda I think.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »

Isn't there something in the Royal Enfield line that would be well suited?

Perhaps this dizzying spot:
https://www.royalenfield.com/us/en/motorcycles/himalayan/#motorcycle-specifications

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 11:04:59 AM »

I keep looking at that Enfield... I'm partial to the red one. Smiley

I wish there was a shop around here so I could sit on one and see how high off the ground I am?  I now they can lower it some but still...

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 11:44:41 AM »

If you can ride your Monster at stock seat height the Himalayan is not too tall.  About 30.5" 31.5" and softer sprung.

You are in Chicago?   https://www.motoworkschicago.com/all
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:22:07 PM by howie » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 12:11:47 PM »

If you can ride your Monster at stock seat height the Himalayan is not too tall.  About 30.5"  and softer sprung.

You are in Chicago?   https://www.motoworkschicago.com/all
...and they have several in stock.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

748s

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 09:48:22 PM »

KTM 390 ADV has 43HP, nearly double of RE. Seat height could be a problem, 33".

https://www.ktm.com/en-us/models/travel/ktm-390-adventure2020.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: