Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 06:54:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tools for fork service  (Read 880 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« on: August 26, 2020, 06:25:53 PM »

Is there much difference between all the different fork tools out there?  I'm gearing up to replace seals and springs on some adjustable 900ss Showas and I'm wondering if the universal spring compressors are good enough for me to get by.

I'm not really wanting to build any of my own tools, though I could if I had to.  I see a variety of compressors and seal drivers online and I haven't really seen any info on what's good.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 03:09:14 AM »

No FHE, but Motion-Pro typically makes decent stuff.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 10:13:10 AM »

I've successfully compressed 1kg/mm springs by just straight gripping it and pulling it away from the cap and had a buddy wrench off the cap. The main issue with removing the cap is that your typical wrenches might be too thick at the open end. I've ground down a pair of harbor freight wrenches for this purpose.

If you dont have a buddy or have a spring rate higher than the 1kg, it gets much harder. Although the cheapie ebay still reqiuire a second person to slip the holding plate in place.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: