Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:38:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monsterlover rejoins the fold  (Read 37334 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2020, 02:28:26 PM »

Would .000 be an issue as things heat up?  Shouldn't there be a little something for expansion?
No.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2020, 07:45:49 PM »

As things heat up, closer specs open up and opener specs close up due to the valve stem grows due to the heat expansion.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2020, 03:43:34 AM »

As things heat up, closer specs open up and opener specs close up due to the valve stem grows due to the heat expansion.

Yeah that makes sense

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2020, 09:06:46 AM »

Dammit I need to check for posts before typing. What Stu said.

I'm not sure of what the true ROI is on chasing the last 0.001" or 0.002" out of the closer clearance.
It'd be an interesting test, set all closers to 0.003" and ride it, then get 'em as close to 0 then ride again.
Better yet do that on a dyno!
I'd try to trick Brad or Ducvet into doing that but it I like them and I think they'd see right through the ruse.

The mechanism is happier with 0, as it's not banging around.

Closers up around 0.010" they definitely run shitty and it accelerates the wear on the half rings and shims, likely valves too but that's really hard to see.

IMO, the shitty running with loose closers is mostly due to that effectively retarding intake closing.
Brad has thoroughly documented the benefits of proper closing timing, so I think there's something to my theory.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »

.000 it is then!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2020, 10:22:50 AM »

I usually wrote that spec on my customers receipts as:  0.000+”. Just to show that it wasn’t exactly 0, just was between 0.000” & 0.001”.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »

I usually wrote that spec on my customers receipts as:  0.000+”. Just to show that it wasn’t exactly 0, just was between 0.000” & 0.001”.

Spec printed under my ss tank says .0008 on closers and .004 on openers so that would match what you setup

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »

Fiddled with valves tonight.

Here's where things sit currently. Let me know how this looks.

Front cylinder-
Intake open .005
Intake close .000
Exhaust open .005
Exhaust close .000+ / .0005

Rear cylinder-
Intake open .004
Intake close .001
Exhaust open .004+
Exhaust close .000 + /.0005

I think these are a lot better but one thing is troubling me. I have measurable clearance on both closers on the rear cylinder but I still have drag on the cam when I spin it without the opening rocker arms engaging anything.

Even though everything is well within spec, I feel like I need to open them up more to get the drag off the cam. Am I right or do I leave it alone and pack it all back up?

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »

Swapped some clutch stuff over from that spare engine. The cover had some dings and scratches on it but it matched the bike so I left it as is.

Generated by http://tools.sportscard.trade

Generated by http://tools.sportscard.trade

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2020, 06:51:45 PM »

Drag on cam = bad.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »

Drag on cam = bad.

So I figured. How can I have clearance I can measure and cam drag at the same time?

Is that really a thing?

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2020, 07:49:55 PM »

Speeddog mentioned cams not being machined perfectly earlier in the thread.  That would get my vote.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2020, 08:05:11 PM »

Speeddog mentioned cams not being machined perfectly earlier in the thread.  That would get my vote.

I missed that. That scenario seems... unlikely. For that to be true the base circle would have to be either out of round or off center. Or both.

I'm not a 2v scientist like you guys are though. It's just perplexing. The way it feels I can't help but wonder if I'm going to end up back closer to the .003 I started with.

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »

Not the base circles, those are easy (I would imagine).  The transition onto and off of cam lobes would be tricky ai would think.

Anyways...  Other option is to just leave it as it is.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2020, 02:21:41 AM »

Maybe what you're describing as drag is something else.

Like you say...how is it possible to have measurable clearance and drag at the same time?

Did you feel the same thing at .003 on the closers?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: