Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 08:23:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monsterlover rejoins the fold  (Read 37875 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #255 on: December 20, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »

More work today. Got the ground cable all done and installed it along with the starter cable.

https://flic.kr/p/2kiSN1M

https://flic.kr/p/2kiSgLc

I also swapped out the right side engine cover for a machined out one I inherited years ago. I had it saved for just such an occasion.

I'm glad I did this as it gave me the chance to find out that the OEM clutch was slagged. The stack height was short some 1.5mm.

Luckily the spare engine that came with the bike had an aftermarket aluminum (Barnett?) clutch that I was able to harvest.

https://flic.kr/p/2kiNuF5

Very clean in there waytogo

https://flic.kr/p/2kiSNF9

https://flic.kr/p/2kiNv5r

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2020, 08:29:00 PM »

Wrong color on the side cover and you stuck with the steel basket?!?   Dolph

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2020, 09:22:43 PM »

Lookin good Kevin waytogo

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2020, 03:27:08 AM »

Wrong color on the side cover and you stuck with the steel basket?!?   Dolph

Yeah I'm aware of the color change. It's not bothering me yet.

Fun fact, the two covers are different where the oil pressure sender screws in. On the original cover there is a "washer" surrounding the tapped hole that's part of the casting. The sender threads in and seals on it.

On the cover I installed there is the opposite. That area is actually counter bored and would not seal on the sender this bike had. Luck was on my side again and I was able to find a copper seal washer in my collection. I *think* it will seal up ok.

As for the basket, I'm working with parts already on hand. Oem in this case.

Though, I did have thoughts of taking the basket to the shop to add some holes in it to lighten it up.

Lookin good Kevin waytogo

waytogo

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2020, 04:13:44 AM »

Satin black VHT on the clutch cover I reckon. waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2020, 05:01:20 AM »

Satin black VHT on the clutch cover I reckon. waytogo

I probably should just to make it look better. That cover has seen some shit.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #261 on: December 21, 2020, 04:13:52 PM »

Some early Superlights had those vented alloy covers. Others were carbon, but some of 851/888 SP models had those vented alloy covers too.  waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #262 on: December 21, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »

Some early Superlights had those vented alloy covers. Others were carbon, but some of 851/888 SP models had those vented alloy covers too.  waytogo

So it's factory?  But not for the ssfe it sounds like. It's not carbon. Definitely aluminum or steel but I think aluminum.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #263 on: December 22, 2020, 03:44:13 AM »

Early Corse style and later copied by aftermarket.

2015 Scrambler 800
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #264 on: December 23, 2020, 04:58:05 PM »

Covers on the supermono were vented as such, magnesium and a funky green color...

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #265 on: December 23, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »

Mine isn't green. I'd be surprised if it was mag. Though, in not sure how to tell mag from aluminum.

Spent the end of the afternoon making some titanium washers to replace some missing ones.

https://flic.kr/p/2kjTcby

The two in the front haven't been deburred yet.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #266 on: December 23, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »

Oh hell yeaah!

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #267 on: December 23, 2020, 05:36:10 PM »

“Hello All, I replied to another post in another section and it reminded me of this bit of information. One of the other fellows posted a method for checking for magnesium, he said to file shavings from the part, put them into a pile and apply an oxy-acetylene flame to them, if they sparked and burned the material was likely magnesium. The method that I typically use requires silver nitrate, you apply a drop of this solution to the part to be tested, if the droplet turns the material black it is likely magnesium, if the droplet stays clear it is probably aluminum. One variation to this would be the possibility that the material is pot metal, it can also turn black when silver nitrate is applied, the pot metal part would be considerably heavier than the magnesium piece and will help to differentiate between pot metal and magnesium.”

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #268 on: December 23, 2020, 05:44:33 PM »

“Hello All, I replied to another post in another section and it reminded me of this bit of information. One of the other fellows posted a method for checking for magnesium, he said to file shavings from the part, put them into a pile and apply an oxy-acetylene flame to them, if they sparked and burned the material was likely magnesium. The method that I typically use requires silver nitrate, you apply a drop of this solution to the part to be tested, if the droplet turns the material black it is likely magnesium, if the droplet stays clear it is probably aluminum. One variation to this would be the possibility that the material is pot metal, it can also turn black when silver nitrate is applied, the pot metal part would be considerably heavier than the magnesium piece and will help to differentiate between pot metal and magnesium.”

Looks like I'll have to do some investigating tomorrow with a file and a lighter.  My money's on aluminum.

I quoted a job out of mag once. Had to include the cost of a class D fire extinguisher in the quote. Spent a lot of time on the phone with my insurance carrier finding out how long it takes to get paid after I torched a $125k mill and how long until I could replace it.

Didn't get the job.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #269 on: December 23, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »

Cheesy Evil

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: