Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 02:36:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monsterlover rejoins the fold  (Read 38045 times)
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »

I've got a customer with a full tilt 848 and a stock FZR400.

I rode the FZR and they're nothing below 10k
Half my brain is screaming and banging the table and shouting SHIFT
The other half is saying to wait until it sounds like it'll explode then wait some more and it'll be fine
Just can't do it

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2020, 05:00:51 PM »

I've got a customer with a full tilt 848 and a stock FZR400.

I rode the FZR and they're nothing below 10k
Half my brain is screaming and banging the table and shouting SHIFT
The other half is saying to wait until it sounds like it'll explode then wait some more and it'll be fine
Just can't do it

Yep. I hear you. Things last longer when you're not on the limiter.

Also, left you a message on your shop phone tonight (my time)

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2020, 01:26:03 AM »

This thread is not for people that don't own Supersports to antagonize people that do  Kiss

Grin

None of you are wrong.

But there is one still running around that I thoroughly molested, and I saw what you did to your last SS, so here I am.  Grin

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2020, 04:07:51 AM »

Id love to know why that engine detonated. It did not meet an honorable end.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Ddan

« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »

Id love to know why that engine detonated. It did not meet an honorable end.

Better that than being left to rust away behind some garage

Ducati Monster Forum at
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2020, 12:11:12 PM »

Better that than being left to rust away behind some garage

There's that I guess. That engine dropped a valve and that's what caused all the damage.

I always wondered if it was me not seatint the half rings correctly on the closing shims. Thinking more back on it, I did run that motor for a little while before it exploded. Test run up and down the road etc

I feel like if I didn't seat the half rings correctly that problem would have become apparent immediately

Ddan

« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »

I feel like if I didn't seat the half rings correctly that problem would have become apparent immediately

Your clearances would have suddenly been off if you didn't have it seated right, you would have known before you put it back together

Ducati Monster Forum at
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2020, 05:23:17 PM »

Got the FCR's and air box in tonight. The air box was a gigantic pain in the balls.

Oil cooler is back in place and the tank is back on. Even connected and hose clamped the fuel lines Grin

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2020, 08:43:59 PM »

I cut off the tab which holds the cable tied loom on the steering lock/ignition. That gives 5mm more clearance for the air box. I separate the air box from the battery box for ease of assembly/disassembly. I relieve the battery box with a Dremel to expose the tops of the FCRs to allow dynamic synch and easy access for needle changes.

2015 Scrambler 800
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »

~~~SNIP~~~

Your clearances would have suddenly been off if you didn't have it seated right, you would have known before you put it back together

The first or second oil change on my S4 I found a single half-ring on the magnet.
From my memory it suddenly got really huge like I was zooming in on it but I think it was just my eyes bugging out like bugs bunny in a cartoon.
When I calmed down a little I thought about it and concluded that the valve stem would've snapped in short order on a 7mm.
I think you'd have a little longer with an 8mm valve but I'm just not seeing a 2:1 safety factor in that.
But not so much that, as the load path gets eccentric and a good bit of freeplay as well.
In my general experience those two events on a hard working mechanism and it detonates quick.
It'll just bend the valve end back and forth til it breaks then the valve falls inside.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2020, 03:30:26 AM »

Got the FCR's and air box in tonight. The air box was a gigantic pain in the balls.

Oil cooler is back in place and the tank is back on. Even connected and hose clamped the fuel lines Grin
Are you going to seat of the pants tune the carbs, or do you have a dyno guy?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2020, 03:34:35 AM »

Are you going to seat of the pants tune the carbs, or do you have a dyno guy?

Pants. If it seems to run well I'm not touching it. Carburator is french for "leave it alone"

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2020, 12:45:59 PM »

Pants. If it seems to run well I'm not touching it. Carburator is french for "leave it alone"
Keihin is Japanese for plan to screw with them. Grin

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »

I have a 41 single on my supermoto and it's been set and forget.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2020, 03:53:42 AM »

I have a 41 single on my supermoto and it's been set and forget.
Was it OEM?

I wasn't saying that they get out of adjustment. Getting it set ,optimally, can be the challenge.

perspective

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: