Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 05:01:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monsterlover rejoins the fold  (Read 37955 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »

Eric would get that rear cyl exhaust closer to .000 Grin

You could replace the half rings and get there, but after a few revolutions you'd be in the same place.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2020, 03:09:37 PM »

Eric would get that rear cyl exhaust closer to .000 Grin

You could replace the half rings and get there, but after a few revolutions you'd be in the same place.

I had it closer to zero on both (rear cyl-) and I had drag on the cam. Went .0005 at a time until it went away.

Here we are.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2020, 06:51:53 AM »

Chasing tenths out of this system requires a pile of shims and bucket of patience.

Problem is we can't measure the position of the actual working surface where the half-ring sits in a closer shim.
We can measure nearby but we're talking tenths not horseshoes.
Swarf and burrs and brand new halfrings aren't quite as flat as used ones.
And used valves don't seat eeeexactly the same every time.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2020, 06:55:42 AM »

Hypothetical scenario here...

What if some of the half rings were installed upside down? In other words opposite of the way they were originally oriented.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »

Hypothetical scenario here...

What if some of the half rings were installed upside down? In other words opposite of the way they were originally oriented.
Theoretically, the new surface will wear in and the clearance will increase a bit quicker.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2020, 10:15:50 AM »

Theoretically, these would all be on the front cylinder. So they would, theoretically, be very easy to get to.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2020, 10:44:09 AM »

You're talking about .0005-.001.

If you wear in both sides on all of them, it won't matter anymore. Grin

perspective

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2020, 10:50:01 AM »

Symmetry is good sometimes.

Theoretically.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2020, 11:23:10 AM »

Symmetry is good sometimes.

Theoretically.
If you ride that thing like your KTM the half rings won't last long enough to matter which side is up. Evil

perspective

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2020, 11:24:54 AM »

My first job, we actually had our own electron microscope.
I was amazed then and probably would be even now.

The running joke was if you couldn't find something wrong using normal inspection then the eScope could find a huge(1) _____ somewhere and that _____ was obviously the problem.

(1) Size being relative after all.

---------------------------------

Ideally, one would flip the half rings every 1k miles a few times then every 6k would be fine after that.
I mean people rotate their tires so it should be no issue.

This is of course the proper time to mention you could've fitted MBP collets and avoided a lot of these dilemmas.
But no worries you would have had other substitute dilemmas (We'd have seen to that).

Seriously the MBP bits are heaps easier to handle and cannot be installed upside down and on 7mm stuff that's even more awesome.

----------------------------------

Symmetry is theoretical, there's just varying degrees of closeness.

----------------------------------

If you ride that thing like your KTM the half rings won't last long enough to matter which side is up. Evil

This is relevant.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »

laughingdp

You guys make me sound abusive

Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »

And?

laughingdp

You guys make me sound abusive

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2020, 02:45:08 PM »

And?

This thread is not for people that don't own Supersports to antagonize people that do  Kiss

Grin

None of you are wrong.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2020, 04:31:20 PM »

Unfortunately I do not own one of the handsome tanks so I've just got a bunch of SuperSport bits really.

DP did touch on a truth, all of the clearances seem to stay nicer longer if you don't rev the snot out of it.
Peak torque at 5k and peak power at 7k you can braap around all day long 3k to 6k with big lines and it's great.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2020, 04:49:20 PM »

I tend to run engines low. I cruise where it feels best. Generally right before the torque curve ramps up.

That lets me do a lot of acceleration/deceleration with just throttle without shifting

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: