Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 17, 2024, 08:03:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D printed headlight adapter  (Read 6656 times)
greencow

« on: August 19, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »

**EDIT** - Sorry guys, been AWOL for awhile and have missed a lot of the requests for the 3D files.  I did post links, however those died a long time ago.  Put the current version up on thingiverse.  -  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6279797  Also, just an FYI, originally printed this in PLA with the assumption that I'd replace it with something "better" after I locked in the design.  3 years layer and it's still going strong so....You're mileage may vary of course.

Needed to change the bulb on the old duc, decided to buy a cheapo (but highly rated  Tongue) 7" LED unit.  Didn't want to shell out 100 bucks for an adapter ring, so tried my hand at modeling one up and printing it myself.  Turned out pretty good!  Fitment is spot on, light is held tightly in place, plus I can easily change the color if I want.  Didn't like how the Corse adapter has you bend the stock springs, so I also made a secondary ring that sandwiches the LED unit together.  The stock retaining springs press down on that, and hold it all in place.

Light output is much better than stock, beam pattern is nice, we'll see once I get more miles on it, but so far I'm happy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 01:37:05 AM by greencow » Logged
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 03:55:14 PM »

Whoa! Cool.  I’ll be keeping tabs on this.  I have an ‘03 M1000 which needs some headlight help

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
ajw85

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 12:51:26 PM »

1) I was just printing my headlight ring design today!
2) What program is that in the first picture?
3) What material & printer are you using?
4) What year is your Monster?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:54:29 PM by ajw85 » Logged
greencow

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 02:34:08 PM »

Thanks Duck!  I'll let you know how it holds up over time....

AJ - The program is Maya, not really meant for this type of design work, but I make due.  Been trying to force myself into using Fusion 360 more, its rough coming from the "artistic" side of things.

Printed on a Ender 3, just using PLA for now, going to get my hands on some PETG and reprint if necessary.

Bike is a 1997.

I'd love to see what you came up with, I was hoping to make something a bit universal, in that it would fit the old school style metal ring, with the spring clips, and be able to work with most 7" headlights.  If you don't mind bending the spring clips, it would probably work that way, I made a custom secondary ring for my specific headlight.
ajw85

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 12:24:31 PM »

I'm waiting on my roll of PETG to arrive to print and take photos. I made a few things in PLA over the past few years that really deform in sun and hot weather.

My design is a single ring printed with 2 levels and a notch to go into the headlight ring. I reuse the spring clips to keep the headlight mounted. Maybe not the best design but it seems to work good. When my PETG roll shows up, I'll print it and take some pictures.

Here is an old version of my design, I designed it a long time ago and had a friend print it and put the 3 pieces in an envelop and mailed them to me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3L49dGfKK5UzGw9s6

I've put like 20 miles on my bike since 2016 so it doesn't get much attention.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »

Nice work guys.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ajw85

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 10:16:18 AM »

Whoa! Cool.  I’ll be keeping tabs on this.  I have an ‘03 M1000 which needs some headlight help
@Duck-Stew if you want to try this out, I'll send you one for free. It's printed out of PETG and should hold up as is but I'd recommend a thin coat of primer and paint.

This is my spring clip design. I'd prefer to have something like @greencow 's design but that would require the plastic bucket.

I think I need to sink the headlight in just a bit more to get more tension on

greencow

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »

Looks great man! 

That's essentially what I did, the only difference I made was to the outer adapter ring.  It steps down, with a inset ledge, so the headlight is seated further forward, away from the headlamp housing.  That way I could make the secondary ring that fits over top of the LED light, and then the spring clips pressed down on that, instead of the LED itself.  This also moved the whole assembly outward more, so as not to interfere with large retaining clip on the metal ring. 

The only reason I did that, was so I wouldn't have to bend the stock retaining clips to get them to press on the LED.  However in this design, the secondary ring has to be custom made to fit over the LED housing. 
ajw85

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 07:56:09 AM »

how did you print this profile?

greencow

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »

It was printed horizontally flipped, from the image you referenced, with a sacrificial support layer.

ajw85

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 07:47:53 AM »

oh man i can't believe i didn't think about supports for this.

will you share your STL?
greencow

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 12:44:43 PM »

Sure thing!

STL - http://www.filedropper.com/ducatiheadlightadapterringv02a

Gcode - http://www.filedropper.com/ce3producatiheadlightadapterringv02a  (if you just want to print it, those were the settings I used.)

It does sit the headlight pretty far out from the interior of the bucket, that was by design, so the secondary ring could have the space needed to capture the LED housing, and allow the spring clips to have enough tension still.  It might work as-is, with the spring clips bent inwards, but I haven't tested it that way. 
HOMUTH

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 06:34:41 PM »

that looks neat.....

can I ask where you purchased the light from?

you mentioned that light output is better than stock....do oncoming drivers have issues with the increased light

Thanks!!!
PaulH

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 02:04:26 PM »

@Duck-Stew if you want to try this out, I'll send you one for free. It's printed out of PETG and should hold up as is but I'd recommend a thin coat of primer and paint.

This is my spring clip design. I'd prefer to have something like @greencow 's design but that would require the plastic bucket.

I think I need to sink the headlight in just a bit more to get more tension on

I just bought this exact headlight from amazon for my Moto Guzzi and from the looks of it its got the exact same headlight as an early monster (has the metal bucket and the weird spring clips)  You have any interest in selling one of these, or sharing the file so I can get it printed somewhere? Thanks.
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 09:34:54 AM »

I'd like this print file too if you don't mind sharing it, or if you would like to sell me one that you've printed I'm amenable to that option as well. I need one of these.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: