Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 01:14:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patching a hole in the engine cover  (Read 4319 times)
d3vi@nt

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »

Wow. Awesome. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

I've committed to taking the cover off. Mostly because I still don't know where the broken pieces ended up, but also to be sure I can get it clean and, as speeddog mentioned, is a bit of a PITA to get to.

@speeddog; '10-'12 part was 24220901BC, superseded by part 24221092AC starting MY '13 and same for '14.

'15 went to part 24221321A which was superseded by 24221322A.

Seems like '10-'14 should be good, but I'm wondering if '15 is a no-go? I'd be really curious to know if there's any real differences in the part, besides the number.

Thanks again, all.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
d3vi@nt

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 06:45:22 PM »

I finally got the cover pulled and cleaned up. Not too bad --more work removing plastics, draining coolant and removing hoses than anything. Cover came off without to much protest.

There are a couple of sets of bearings in the cover; two for the water pump assembly and one for the stator.

Anyone have any ideas how long these last? They seem to spin without issues. The bike is getting close to 40k miles. I'm wondering if these are the 'last forever' kind, or replace early kind?

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
d3vi@nt

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »

Funny thing, as I was about to put it back on, I noticed the part number: 24231031A

Looks like it's from a '14 Streetfigher or '15 Hyper.

I'm the second owner and I have no idea if it came that way from the factory, or if it was replaced at some point.

As far as patching, I was able to clamp a piece of plastic (typical rewards/grocery type card; smooth plastic) on the inside, and another against the case edge, which I was most worried about as it's the mating surface. It filled in well with the JB Weld and the plastic clamped to the edge kept the surface nice and even. I touched it up with a second round after it cured for a few days.

I was worried about sticking, so tried wrapping the backing pieces in plastic wrap, but I couldn't keep the wrinkles out, which made for a poor surface. Turns out the plastic cards without wrap didn't stick any way, so wasn't an issue.

The outside doesn't look great, was more difficult as there are curved edges, etc. I could sand it down and paint it if I really cared, but it's back by the sprocket and won't be visible any way.

Got the cover back on; finger tight bolts, wait an hour, then final torque. Will button up the rest hopefully some time this week and see if it holds oil!

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 10:06:55 PM »

Part number in a casting or forging is usually the 'blank' number, it will get used for multiple different finished parts.
Seldom a 'valid' part#.

JB is some pretty nice stuff, it gets way better with a day baking in the sun (it may get there after a week sitting at normal room temp, I don't know)

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
d3vi@nt

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 04:37:35 PM »

Ah, interesting. Thanks for that info, makes sense.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 11:58:06 AM »

<snip>                             

JB is some pretty nice stuff, it gets way better with a day baking in the sun (it may get there after a week sitting at normal room temp, I don't know)

Any heat will speed the full cure, but it will fully cure even at cool temps

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 09:38:03 AM »

My choices:

1) Replace with a used part. Why dick around with JB Weld though it is very useful stuff.
2) Bernzomatic no-weld aluminum rods to fill, then lap on a piece of float glass. Touch up the outside with a Dremel.
3) New cover
4) JB Weld. Though it's very handy, not the caliber of repair I'm willing to employ on my Ducati, so it's in 4th place. The '13 MTS is a nice bike! Deserves better than JB Weld.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
d3vi@nt

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 02:26:04 PM »

My choices:

1) Replace with a used part. Why dick around with JB Weld though it is very useful stuff.
2) Bernzomatic no-weld aluminum rods to fill, then lap on a piece of float glass. Touch up the outside with a Dremel.
3) New cover
4) JB Weld. Though it's very handy, not the caliber of repair I'm willing to employ on my Ducati, so it's in 4th place. The '13 MTS is a nice bike! Deserves better than JB Weld.
It ended up being a fairly simple decision matrix. Used parts were questionable for fitment (different part #'s, etc.), around $300 and up, and usually had some rash, scratches, etc. I have no welding skills or tools and don't know anybody that does, nor anyone that could recommend one locally. New cover was close to $1k with tax and shipping.

The hole was in an area that's not visible and at a high point, so not constantly sitting in oil and not in a spot that would seem to impact structural integrity.

I paid $5k for the bike, and given its 40K miles, resale value is probably about the same. Given the clutch MC issues I'm having, coupled with the now frequent fuel sender errors (known issue with 6 part revisions), I'm not so enamored with the bike that I'm willing to shell out for expensive fixes.

So far the JB is holding fine. Time will tell whether I made a bad decision (or bad repair)  chug

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 08:47:10 AM »

I paid $5k for the bike, and given its 40K miles

How did you find a bike like that for $5k?  Dolph

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
d3vi@nt

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 09:31:42 AM »

How did you find a bike like that for $5k?  Dolph
It had 31k on the clock and was overdue for its 30k Desmo service. So in reality I paid $6k for it given that expense.

The PO said his local dealer that did all the maintenance on it would give him $4k for it in trade so he figured he'd sell it for $5k. He listed it on CL with no pics and it was located a bit off the beaten path. Coupled with high miles that tend to scare some folks, I'm sure it didn't generate much interest.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: