Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 03:18:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fork/shock springs for old Monster?  (Read 1196 times)
skippyjlo

« on: August 06, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »

I have a 2004 620ie that I want to spring for my weight (210 lbs)  Problem is I can't find any info on what spring rate I'd need or where to get them.  In the past I've used the Racetech spring calculator for off road motorcycles but their site doesn't list anything for any year 620ie.  They list an 04 620-D  (I assume D=Dark?)  but they list the forks as Marzzochis and the shock as a non rebuildable Sachs.   I am pretty sure I have the non adjustable Showa forks and a Sachs shock with only rebound adjustment.   

If anyone can point me in the right direction for a source to buy the springs I need it would be greatly appreciated
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 01:31:37 PM »

Your bike came out of the factory with Marzzochis.  They may have been replaced with Showas over the years.  If they are Showas the hex on the caps is 17mm and they  will say Showa on the inside of the fork bottoms.

Someone else, I'm sure will advise you on springs and oil.  Racetech's chart for street bikes, particularly if you live where the roads are not great.  Once you get the advice you need they are a good source to purchase what you need.
skippyjlo

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 01:39:52 PM »

Thanks, I'll have to double check on the forks.
Igor900

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »

Following this thread as well. I know I need some front fork work, and I'm having trouble finding the information I need for it Smiley
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 08:08:06 AM »

Shock springs can be purchased from most anywhere, virtually all the aftermarket springs are 'automotive'.

Fork springs can be had from Racetech, but there are others, and the Ohlins springs are nice.

--------------------
skippyjo,

I'd say a rear spring of 650 lb/in (11.6 kg/mm)

For example, Ohlins 01092-41/115,
or generic 'automotive' 7" long and 2.25" inner diameter 650#, like Hyperco 187A0650

Fork springs 0.90, picking the particular size spring is best done after your forks are open to see what room you've got in your forks.

As always, upgraded forks or shocks are money well spent.
S4 shock or aftermarket, both Penske and Ohlins have budget single adjustables and usually the seller will fit any spring at no upcharge.

Forks, the Monster adjustable units are better, and SBK are better yet but not a direct bolt-up.
The adjustment feature is nice, but they're just better units overall.

It's best if you can work with a suspension house near you that knows your local road quality.
Also, one that deals with settings for street too, not just track.

-----------------------------
Igor900,

Spring rates will depend on your weight and other factors.
All of the above is valid other than the part numbers.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: