Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 04:02:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2r1000 engine side covers removal and painting tips  (Read 959 times)
Alexaskmo

« on: July 07, 2020, 06:53:17 AM »

Hey all!

So I’m planning to remove my engine side covers (clutch side and the alternator cover) for some polishing and painting. They are stained with some very stubborn oil and it’s time to do something about it!

I have a Haynes for my 900ss and the workshop manual so I’m pretty sure i can do this. What I’m wondering from you guys is tips and tricks from experience. Also, should I take the opportunity to do some other work while I’m at it? I have a brand new slipper clutch assembly in there so that’s done Smiley

Best,
Alex
RB

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 11:03:25 AM »

I’d powdercoat the covers, they catch a lot of road debris and nick up quick.
While you have the stator side off inspect the gear linkage, spring and harpoon.

Alexaskmo

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »

Flywheel retaining nuts are a one piece affair.  Nichols Mfg makes a pair of jamb nuts.  Maybe other make them too.  Cheap insurance.

A “while you’re in there” is also to disassemble the flywheel and inspect the starter sprag.  Be careful on re-assembly of the thin washer.  It can slip on assembly and that’s not good.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: