Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 17, 2024, 05:26:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at used M900  (Read 1529 times)
Kvn K

« on: June 23, 2020, 10:34:23 AM »

Hi, I've been shopping for an older used Monster. Just looked at a '99 M900. It runs & looks great but the tach & speedo don't work. The owner says they stopped working after he swapped out the forks.

Does this sound like something reasonable to troubleshoot & fix or am I looking at a potential can of worms?

Thanks,
Kevin
wasta

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »

Speedo runs off a drive  on the front wheel, might just need realigning, tacho I think off a pickup on  the crank, wiring is in the headlight I think not insurmountable .
Change the belts though and fit a casing saver.

Love mine.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1999 Monster 900, 2009 YZF R1, 2008 BMW K1200GT
greenohawk69

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 11:21:32 AM »

I have a 97 M900 and the speedo/tach went south and were fugly to boot. Changed out to a digital Acewell speedo/tach combo. I think it was around $100. Bought the Haynes manual ~ $25 and it includes a wiring diagram that I blew up and laminated.

If you can read and breathe, you can change it out, I did and am no mechanic by any means.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 01:20:03 PM »

‘99 didn’t come with a tach at all from the factory.  The aftermarket ones are (at this point) 21 year old Italian electronics.  So, on that note, see the above thread as that seems like a spot-on fix in my book...

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Kvn K

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 07:50:09 AM »

Thanks to all- this is encouraging!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: