Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 08:06:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does a Rear Wheel Bearing failure sound like?  (Read 1629 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« on: June 23, 2020, 04:53:19 AM »

Been a looooongggg time since I started a new post! I hope everyone here is doing well.  chug Especially with this coronavirus and all.

My S2R now has 41K on the odo and when rolling in neutral with the bike off, there is a random binding click sound comming from the rear wheel. I've tried to isolate the noise without success.

-It's not at a specific point along the wheels rotation since I've tried to mark it on the wheel to locate the noise. It occurs at random locations.
-The noise occurs both when rolling the bike back or forth, but it is much louder and pronounced when rolling forward.
-I've tried to replicate the sound while on a swingarm stand with no success, it appears the noise is only when the bike is rolling on the ground.
-I've taken my rear wheel off to inspect the outside surface of the eccentric and found nothing unsual. No binding anywhere.
-The chain was a tad loose, so I tightened it and found that the noise did not go away. My chain has about 15K on it.
-It's not easy for me to try and hear the noise while riding unless im in neutral rolling along.
-I've racked the wheel every way I can to determine if theres any looseness in the rear wheel relative to the axle, there is no movement. Everything is tight.
-The noise only started happening within the last 100 miles.

The only thing left for me to inspect is to physically take out the eccentric and inspect the hub itself as well as the bearing that the rear axle spins on.

Has anyone experienced something like this??

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
RB

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 05:24:28 AM »

Your bearings may not make any noise at all, and with 40k on the clock I’d highly recommend they be replaced.
The binding clicking sound happens to me also, but it was due to not putting the wheel on properly, the guide pins can land in the slots of the wheel hub instead of the holes very easily.

Hope that helps

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 06:13:25 AM »

Gotta agree with RB, check and replace.  If the bearing is bad you will see and or feel the defect.  Since you are doing all that work replace it anyway.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 06:17:11 AM »

Worth also checking the pads and caliper.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »

Get the chain off of the rear sprocket, dismount the caliper and then roll the bike.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 03:01:13 AM »

Get the chain off of the rear sprocket, dismount the caliper and then roll the bike.

good call on this one.  Ill start with this. Should take just a few minutes.

The guide pins for the rear wheel are aligned correctly. I tripled checked that one.

Ill check the pads and caliper once again, i recently took them apart to inspect and clean. I didnt notice anything was off but good to check again.

let me take the chain off this afternoon.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
greenmonster

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 01:29:06 PM »

Was an onepiece alu right wheel nut on my MTS.
I screwed the threads so it did not fully seat,
a mm or so. Made a clicking sound, very annoying.
Hard to detect w/o removing wheel.
New original nut, washer & spacer +
thoroughly cleaned wheel and pins fixed it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 01:31:09 PM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: